“Excellent Stay at dana hotel and spa!”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #61 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I just returned from a 5 nights stay at dana hotel and spa and loved it.
The rooms are very spacious, offering all the luxury you need.
Because I was a solo traveller, I ate many times (including room service) at their restaurant, and all the meals were delicious! (you need to try their "Milk and Cookies" dessert) They also have an amazing rooftop bar, including an outdoor fireplace, where you have some spectacular views.
The staff at the hotel was very accommodating, and the service perfect.
For those who are looking for a place to stay downtown Chicago, within walking distance to Michigan Avenue and other great places, you have to stay at dana!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Savano,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the dana hotel and spa. We also appreciate your kind comments on our restaurant freestyle food + drink. The milk and cookies is one of our favorite's as well. We work hard to make sure a high level of service is given to all guests and we appreciate you taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed your experience. The next time you are in Chicago we hope you will stay with us again.
Liana

There are newer reviews for dana hotel and spa

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I live in the burbs of Chicago & when I was planning my 40th birthday downtown, I wanted to be able to stay in the city, close to my party location. I was looking for a location that was fun, friendly, & just fabulous. I chose the Dana Hotel & Spa, having been there for a bachelorette party a few years before. I got the Utopian Suite (they have an excellent Military Discount) & it was amazing! The decor, the cleanliness, the staff... everything was PERFECT. The staff was friendly from the minute I walked in, they were extremely courteous to all of my visiting "pre-event" guests, and I couldn't have asked for a better environment to entertain, relax, & recuperate. The overall vibe of the Dana is excellent and the staff just completely improved on the overall experience. I WILL be staying at the Dana Hotel & Spa again! It has quickly become my chosen local STAYcation place!!

Room Tip: The suites are reasonably priced and an excellent value!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear tclt01,
Happy Belated Birthday and thank you for choosing to spend it with us! We truly appreciate your kind words about our team! We strive to exceed our guests expectations! It's so nice to hear when we do. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel last minute but weren't disappointed! Modern rooms, great gym, restaurant, helpful concierge and a breathtaking rooftop bar! This is the place to stay in Chicago, we walked to shops, restaurants and theaters our whole stay. Highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear TH_SG,
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the dana as much as we do. Thank for you staying with us and taking the time to write this review. We hope to see you at the dana again soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We enjoyed a very relaxing stay at the Dana. Our room had a wall of windows with a great view and a small balcony. It was a very quiet hotel with no street noise which made it a perfect choice for us. We were very close to great restaurants, grocery stores and shopping. It was a wonderful location for our needs. The staff was very friendly and helpful! We would definitely stay at the Dana again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north by the parking lot have a great view. We were on the 13th floor and since the pa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Cactus_Bob01
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed all dana has to offer. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed at the Dana for 1 night during a business trip. Chicago got 6" of snow that day and it took me 3 hours to go 10 miles in my car to the hotel. I got a great deal on Expedia for the room, and when I checked in the hotel was absolutely dead, so I asked the desk agent if he had any complementary upgrades available after a terribly long day, and without even pretending to look in the inventory system, he simply said, "no." I guess if you get a good deal on a room rate, you're not worthy of an upgrade even though the hotel was willing to sell me the room for the price Expedia listed it at.

Nevertheless, the room was very nice, great bed, very cool glass wall from the shower wall looking into the bedroom.

Few issues: There were not enough outlets at the desk area that were easy to access. There was one in the desk lamp, and then only one more that you had to shimmy your adapter from underneath the large desk to bring it up after plugging in underneath the desk.

For a hotel with a Spa, the workout room was extremely lacking, and the cardio machines were quite outdated, the recumbent bike touchscreen programing did not work, the elliptical felt very fragile, nothing like what other major hotel brands supply in their workout rooms such as Precor or Life Fitness, etc.

The kicker for me was that the garbage can for the gym was outside the room. So if you needed to throw something out you had to walk out of the room and come back in. So when I wiped off my cardio machine with the Lysol wipes provided, I had to leave the workout room to throw it away and then come back in to finish my workout. Same with the water cooler. Just didn't make sense.

Finally, when paying over $40 a night for valet parking, the least you can do is to scrape the ice and snow off the rear window instead of making the guest do it himself while standing in slushy sleet while wearing a suit.

There were several other hotels in the same area at the same price range, but I had heard nice things about the Dana, so I chose this hotel to check out. In the future, I would probably look at another brand.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank mekogan
Liana C, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear mekogan,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write this review. We learn from our guests. We learn what we are doing well and we learn what we are not doing so well. We are currently improving the desk layout in our rooms and suites among a few other things. This could be a reason why we did not have a room to upgrade for you. I am sorry that was not explained at check in. We do agree that as a guest you should not have to clear off your own rear window when brought your car. We will speak with our team and correct this.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us, if you decide to give us another chance please contact us directly when making your reservation.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Definitely recommend Dana hotel. Great rooms, wonderful service, and a modern motif make this spot a perfect choice for a weekend staycation. Freestyle, the hotel restaurant, is moderately priced and serves up very tasty small plates and sushi rolls - the bloody Mary bar for brunch was also a nice touch. Oh, and this place was super romontic, my fiance was very happy. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Camerena,

Thank you for your recommendation and the glowing review! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Found a great last minute rate for the Dana on the app Hotel Tonight. This trendy hotel in Chicago's River North neighborhood has some pros including the location and a great street level bar/lounge with a terrific Bloody Mary bar and friendly bartender. The Vertigo Lounge roof top bar is open year round, and is indoor/outdoor. Warm throws are provided in winter if you are hearty enough to sit around a fire pit in subzero Chicago or stand near the ice bar. Yes it's made of ice. Pros for the small rooms include the excellent amenities, robes, slippers, rain shower, sound bar for playing your own music and comfortable beds.
Cons: Bathrooms are exposed, as in glass walls/see thru shower. For privacy you must pull a curtain closed. Weird. Also this is hands down the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed at in Chicago and I've stayed in dozens over the last 30 years. If you want to sleep between 12-6 am forget it. Between the rooftop bar becoming a nightclub, the drunk guests wandering the halls, doors slamming shut, traffic noise and the sound of 24 hour room service carts in the hallways, good luck. If you are in a hurry to get to your room or to the lobby, you'll have to wait, I'm guessing there are no service elevators as the guest elevators were always full of staff with carts of food, beer, bags of room linens etc.
Overall I would recommend the Dana for the great bar/lounge at street level but would definitely avoid staying here if you want to sleep. And this is not a hotel for children or families.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies. Ask for a room far away from the rooftop lounge and the elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S D

Dear sddistel,
Thank you choosing the dana hotel and spa and for taking the time to write this review. I am happy to see you enjoyed Freestyle Food and Drink and Vertigo Sky Lounge. The thought behind leaving a glass wall between the bedroom and the shower was to give our guests the option of allowing natural lighting into the bathroom then added the curtain for when privacy is preferred. Regarding the sound carrying down the hallway. We worked with an acoustic engineer to assist us in muting any sound that travels through the hallway. We will be completed with this project in the spring. We would love to have you back and hope you give us another opportunity in the future.
Best regards,