“Nice location near restaurant and bars”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #58 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I booked the room through Priceline and got a good rate. Checking in was smooth. The rooms was nicely furnished. I got a room not too close to the ground floor and not too high to be close to the roof top bar. You are really close to great bars and restaurants. I would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Hi John N,
Thank you for the great review. So happy we were able to place you in a great location in the hotel. Hope to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,042)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located near many great restaurants and shopping areas. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The rooms offer great amenities like a Keurig and plush bathrobe. I will definitely stay here again when I return to Chicago.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Christina S
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Christina S,
Thank you for the great review! I am glad you enjoyed our Keurigs and other amenities, we get lots of great feedback on those. I am glad the location was convenient for you and we look forward to seeing you again soon :)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

What a wonderful surprise to find this property! My husband and our good friends stayed here to celebrate our anniversaries together. From the moment we walked in to the moment we left, the customer service was exemplary and the energy/vibe were just right!
We stayed in a corner king on on side of the hotel, and our friends stayed on the other. Both views were fab; State Street near Huron and Erie! We argued over who had the best view :) City lights without the crazy!

Location: Couldn't be better. OFF of the Michigan Avenue bustle, but within walking distance. Close to restaurants, shops, Rush Street, etc.
Decor: Contemporary meets elegant. Loft vibe and minimal, but with great presence.
Sleep: Amazing! Quiet (enough-yes, it's the city) and seriously, the bed, pillows, and linens invited us to stay another night (which we ended up doing).
Amenities: Enough to go around. Whatever you needed was there, and whatever you wanted was available. In room bar and snacks were actually reasonably priced. Nice touch!
Security: ABOVE average. You must go past the front staff on the second level to get anywhere. It actually annoyed us a bit at first (must have key for elevator, etc), but once we got the hang of the system, we really appreciated it! Keeps the noise level down in a smaller hotel!
Food: Great bar and restaurant on-site (Freestyle) with good wait-staff and congenial bartenders. 24 hour room service that was above average. Of NOTE: Gratuities are included in the room service charges, as in most hotels. The difference here is that the staff actually REMINDS you that this is true and doesn't expect an extra gratuity be added. Amazing!
Lively: On site club (Vertigo) was filled with younger people (than us) on Saturday night, but we enjoyed an early drink and lounge on the "rooftop" area and then left before the partiers arrived! Fire pits and many places to "grab a drink" without waiting in huge lines. Really great atmosphere.
Customer Service: Above average! Bellmen Linsdey and Christopher were on the ball and quick to respond. Front desk staff and concierge always available and responsive to needs. A special note to Andrea at the front desk and manager Ramsey; they were amazing for us when our flight was cancelled due to weather. Any traveler understand the stress of such an event. They found us a room (the same type we had stayed in), matched our airline's "discounted" hotel rate, and even gave us some savings vouchers for breakfast the next day. All with a smile and "can do/we've got your back" attitude! We were so appreciative!

So, for any review, it is incumbent to try to find something for a property to improve on. We had a hard time with this one. So, here is a small thing I could think of: Dana makes personal wake up calls (not the automated one). Nice touch, indeed. So, if they go through the bother of making that personalized touch, the employee should try to be a bit more "cheery" or "friendly" when they call you! :) This is all I could come up with.

No doubt we will go again, and again! Our friends said the same thing! And next time, we will try the onsite SPA!

Room Tip: As in any city, higher floors are quitter! Corner suites have balconies/corner kings have good vi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NinaTrav

Hi Nina R,
Thank you for your comprehensive complimentary review! I especially appreciate you recognizing some of our staff. They consistently go above and beyond for our guests, and it is so nice to see guests appreciating it :) We will definitely work on making our wake-up calls more cheery, great feedback. See you again soon!

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

The Dana was the perfect boutique hotel w style and great service.
The hotel was in an excellent location two blocks from the Mag Mile. Everything within walking distance.
Great rooftop bar w spectacular views.
I stayed in a reg king room which had a great mini bar and balcony. The rooms have a very intimate feel especially with the glass windows to shower.
This is a hotel I would highly recommend and would def stay here again.
Bell hop were very knowledgable of the area and suggested some excellent places to eat and drink.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delre_Travel_1980

Hi Delre_Travel_1980,
Wow, thank you for the great review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I am a glutton for overpaying for closets with views of nothing. Once again I used a third party booking service, Jetse***** to book a room. This time I booked a Comfy King at Dana Hotel and Spa. Upon check-in, I received the deer caught in headlights look from the "front desk clerks" upon arriving. Why do they insist on looking at the guest of the hotel as if they don't expect him/her to need their assistance. No, I'm standing here so you can look into my eyes to see your reflection. I was impolitely informed that there were no upgrades available and that the desolate hotel was "sold out" for the evening. Lies, all lies. Of course upon arriving to room 2013 I discover I am underneath the roof top "terrace/club" I can tell from the vibrating lamp and tv, and have a slither of a window and balcony. I am so tired of being treated like I have stolen something from these hotels. If it is such an injustice to have guests book rooms through third party companies then stop it. Do us all a favor. On, an odd note, Hotel security interrupted my slumber at 7 am knocking on the room across the hall. I guess, they stole something too. Unfortunately, this glutton booked an all inclusive trip to the DR through the same company.

Room Tip: Book through hotel directly for the rooms with actual windows.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear T B,
My sincerest apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. You are absolutely right is stating that we should treat all guests alike, no matter how they reserve. I am so sorry that was not your experience. I will be sure to share your comments with our operations team to ensure that our associates are making sure each guest has a great experience.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

There are some great things about this hotel: its location - right in the thick of things, a nice restaurant, big comfy beds, and a generally funky feel to the place.

On the less good side, the rooms are very small (perhaps to be expected in the heart of the city), the service is patchy (ranging from fairly friendly to downright standoffish), and its quite noisy. There is a nightclub in the top floor, so you have to work your way through the crowds of party-goers on your way back to your room of an evening.

To summarise, I'd recommend it to those using it as a place to sleep and a base for exploring the city. I'm not sure it's suitable for families.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lucy E
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Lucy E,
My sincerest apologies for the various deficiencies you experienced during your stay. We have shared your comments with our team in an effort to improve service, thank you for taking the time to review us. As far as the room size, we do offer larger rooms. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you visit so we can make sure you receive the proper accommodations. My contact information is below, thank you!

Mary Murray
312.202.6007

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Loved every minute of our six night stay in the Dana hotel. Hotel is amazing and it's in the perfect location for shopping, sightseeing and eating out. Stayed on the 20th floor and the views were spectacular. Vertigo bar has amazing views and we loved the fire pits. Staff were friendly, extremely helpful and accommodating. Restaurant has excellent food and great service. Could not fault the hotel at all!! Will definitely stay here again and can't wait to return again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank TryEverything15

Dear Amarie O,
So happy to see you enjoyed your stay and your room on the 20th floor! We do get a lot of compliments on our views of Chicago. So glad you enjoyed the fire pit in Vertigo, its perfect for our Winter season :) See you again soon!