“Nice Hotel”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #60 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel is very nice and very well located. The staff are polite. The rooms are clean and with a good space. The shower is great. The only problem was that I stayed at one of the top floors (23rd) and I could listen to the sound of the elevators going up and down all night long. Altough the hotel has a great rooftop and its club VERTIGO, I could rear the noise from club in my room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Write a ReviewReviews (3,952)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Let's just start by saying the beds here are AH-MAY-ZING! I'm kicking myself a little for not taking off the sheets and seeing exactly what kind of bed it was. I have never slept better in a hotel than I do at home!
It's a little weird that the wall between the bathroom and the room is a piece of glass. The first time I sat down to pee, I looked over and saw a man in the building accross the street looking at me! I shrugged it off thinking the windows MUST be reflective, and he can't see me. When I was outside next I checked , and nope... you can see right into those rooms! Shoot! So, make sure you close that curtain if you're shy! lol
The service here was amazing. Everybody was so friendly. There is a little bar in the lobby that has REALLY good sliders. Drinks there are also reasonable. However, if you up to the rooftop bar, (Vertigo) make sure your wallet is ready. We paid $50 for two drinks and two shots!
Their patio though was beautiful! I would most definately stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed here for four nights midweek in September. We were upgraded to a serene double (from a comfy king); our room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The bed was really comfortable and the rainfall shower was incredible. We appreciated the free, quick wifi.

A few little frustrations - the hotel was slightly too trendy for its own good: the bathroom door didn't shut, the TV system was slow and choice of channels limited, and the glass screen between the bathroom and bedroom meant that switching the bathroom light on at night lit up the whole bedroom. But the good far outweighed the bad, all the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and good and the location was great. We were on the fourteenth floor and couldn't hear the rooftop bar at all, and only a little bit of street noise.

Would we stay there again if we returned to Chicago? If we got a good value deal, probably yes.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here last week on a business trip for two nights. The location is great – it’s a 5 minute walk to the best shopping and loads of restaurants/bars nearby. We had a warm welcome at check-in where the staff raved about the rooftop bar they have. Sadly it was shut for private events both nights of my stay, so I’d rather not have known about it when I couldn’t use it.
Regardless, the downstairs bar/restaurant with outdoor seating was great. The veggie sushi was delicious and the staff were lovely (and at breakfast too, very helpful).
My room was a generous size with a huge comfortable bed and a separate large armchair. The bathroom is a bit of a strange set up. The shower is only shielded from the main room by a curtain (mine didn’t stretch right across either). The window into the room looks directly into the building opposite so you have to shut the blinds for privacy (two-way glass would have been a better idea). There was free wi-fi in the room – always a bonus.
Minutes after I checked into my room, I had a knock on the door from two people in staff uniform asking to check my mini bar. When I explained I didn’t need anything the guy insisted in coming in anyway. He removed a jar of lemonade, asked if it was mine (it wasn’t) then left with it. I later told reception as I was concerned if it was a fridge with sensors I would be charged for moving things around. I was told that wasn’t the case but nevertheless it’s a bit strange that staff are using guest fridges to store their drinks!
My fridge wouldn’t stop buzzing loudly either. The hotel’s solution was to switch it off rather than the engineer fix the problem...
I used the concierge service to arrange a boat trip, who was very helpful but I found the price quite high for the quality of boat we ended up getting on – filthy toilets and old looking boat, which docked at a part of the marina we struggled to find without being given proper detailed instructions.
Despite having breakfast taken care of, the night I checked out I had a bill put under my door with a charge on it. Reception removed it immediately and were very apologetic however this should never have occurred in the first place really.
When the room next to me were playing loud music late at night reception were prompt to send security who firmly told them to quieten down, which I was impressed by.
The bell staff were great - friendly and helpful.
Overall a good hotel but just needs some tweaks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'd been to Vertigo the rooftop bar a couple times in the past when visiting Chicago. Its probably one of the best rooftop bars in Chicago and so my expectations of the hotel itself were pretty high. We were in Chicago for a wedding (9/27 - 9/29) and decided to stay at Dana. We booked a Divine Double at about $250/night pretax, prepaid and booked with Magellan Vacations (love this company!)

Room was not bad. Given the rooftop bar and the general trendiness of the rest of the hotel (exterior, lobby, restaurant), I was a bit disappointed in the room. It was ok and didn’t measure up to the rest of the hotel. We were in room 1612. I LOVED the shower - nice and big with the waterfall showerhead. The bathroom amenities were quite sparse. The sound system was incredible and we were able to hook up our iPod to it. The floors were a nice hardwood. Free wifi was nice and strong. We had a Keurig machine and coffee capsules were available. They also provided nice comfy robes and slippers.

I didn't get the ceiling though, I couldn't tell if it was incomplete or if that was the look they were going for. It was the color of cement (grey) and had blotches, discolorations, and all sorts of weird markings. I personally did not find it appealing to look at. I visited 2 other rooms of wedding guests and it was the same.

OK, so my bed was lopsided, but I didn’t notice till in the middle of the night when I woke up and felt like the other side of the bed was much more elevated. Anyway I ended up sleeping on the side of the bed closer to the window for the rest of the stay. The bed itself and the pillows were very plush.

The worst part was the street noise on North State street, even from our 16th floor room. OMG, it was terrible! Dump trucks beeping, ambulance/police sirens, construction noises at 6am. It went on ALL night and was pretty unbearable. I barely got sleep the first night. I was only able to get through the 2nd night because I was pretty toasted from the wedding and was knocked out as soon as I hit the bed lol. If you are a light or even average sleeper, avoid rooms facing the main street.

We had Sunday brunch at the Freestyle restaurant. Food was fantastic and service was great. The food was surprisingly very reasonable. Wayy cheaper than most hotel restaurants. I think it was $10 for 2 eggs any style with potatoes and toast. You could add sausages and other sides for another $5. We had a $10 off per person voucher that we were able to use for brunch. I had the freshest most incredible green tea at the restaurant. Mimosas were definitely expensive at a shocking $10 a glass. I’m used to $15 bottomless mimosas.

Overall a fair stay - a mix of good and not so great things. Would I stay here again? Hmm maybe but I would probably explore other options first.

Room Tip: Rooms facing North State Street are VERY noisy
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MondeTripping
Reviewed October 7, 2013

So I had to stay here on business and this was a hotel that had great service, is in a superb location, but was a party hotel. You know, those places that cater for groups coming from out of town for the weekend to party?

Very busy and loud bar on the roof and so some very interesting characters in the lifts!

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are east facing, but unfortunately the view is of the apartments across the stree...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Corner king was nice with great views. Very plush room and bed, excellent service and great food. However my room's shower was a bit grimey, so much so I felt the need to wear shower sandals. Also the shower floor was a plastic pan, which struck me as odd. Other than the bathroom's cleanliness, I enjoyed my stay but it was not worth the price of admission ($530) for a Wednesday night.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business