“Chic But Not Crazy”

Ranked #52 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Chic But Not Crazy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We liked the Dana Hotel and Spa during a quick business trip to Chicago. The location was fine and the check in efficient. The room was trendy but workable. The glass shower in the middle of the room was not necessary but the rainshower fixture was fine. There was a Keuric coffee maker, TV whihc worked most of the time and a small fridge. Bottled water was reasonably priced as were the snacks. Spent an hour up at the trendy terrace bar which was very nice.

All in all a good solid choice if you want a boutique hotel in the Windy City

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
danahotelandspa, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear billyboy18
Thank you for staying with us! Please let us know if your travels bring you back to Chicago!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have just returned from a week at the Dana Hotel & Spa which is a very modern hotel in downtown Chicago in a very convenient location for sightseeing and shopping. I have been forced to write this review in order to complain about the main design fault in our room (and I was told on checkout, in all rooms) which is that the bathroom has a glass wall. If you are sharing the room, when one person switches the light on in the bathroom at night, it shines directly through the flimsy curtain onto the other person in the bed. If this is modern hotel design, then it completely fails to perform any useful function. Also, our room had no windows and just one door onto the outside balcony and as a result was very very dark. Other than this basic design flaw, the hotel was good and the staff were extremely attentive and friendly. (The other design flaw was the shower door which had a gap through which all the water flooded onto the bathroom floor).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReneeM0
Dear ReneeMO,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. They were correct we do have glass walls in our standard room category. Thank you for bringing weight of the curtain to our attention I will absolutely pass on your comments. We hope to have you back and would love to show you our tranquil suite.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I had the opportunity to go to Chicago for a conference I was attending so our trip was a combination of business/pleasure. I picked this hotel from a list the conference planners provided and am SO thankful I did! We stayed in a corner king room with floor to ceiling windows...at first it felt like we were part of a scene from the Carousel of Progress in Disney World, but there were plenty of blinds for privacy when needed. The hotel is in a great location with excellent restaurants well within walking distance...also enjoyed breakfast from Argent the restaurant in the hotel. The bed was excellent and the rainfall shower head was amazing!! We had to call once about the television and someone was there within minutes to fix...great hotel and excellent staff. This was our first trip to Chicago and we LOVED it...can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We liked the view from the corner king...lots of windows!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Happydazy,

Thank you so much for choosing the dana hotel and spa! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your time in Chicago. We hope to welcome you back soon!
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I usually go to Chicago every year and try a different hotel each trip. This time, I was attending a conference and The Dana was one of the hotels with a conference rate, so I gave it a try.
Pros:
-Loved the location. Very close to two El stops and there's a bus that runs up and down state street, plus it's just 3-4 blocks from Michigan Ave. There's a Whole Foods and Trader Joes, each about 1-2 blocks away, and plenty of other places to eat/drink.
-Very friendly and helpful bell hops and maid service
- I loved the round chair in the room -- very comfortable
Not so positive
- I really don't understand the elevator situation. You're supposed to take a one floor elevator ride or walk up the stairs to the lobby to catch the elevator. Yet the main elevators all go to the ground floor and I saw people using them (usually staff) so it doesn't make any sense why everyone can't use them. You need to use your room key so people couldn't walk in off the street...
- My TV didn't work consistently with no signal common in the morning.
- The person who checked me in and out was pleasant but the rest of the time, the front desk staff looked more like security people than front desk staff (who you expect to be friendly and welcoming). I asked bus directions from one of them one evening, when the concierge wasn't there, and she was totally off. Fortunately, I was able to figure it out for myself..

Pros and Cons:
- The conference package included $10 breakfast credit so I did eat breakfast at the restaurant each morning. The Dana Potatoes were amazing ..... well worth trying! Not so positive was the side of bacon I ordered one morning when I wanted to splurge. It was $5, and it was 2 pieces of bacon. Two regular size pieces of bacon. I guess it was better for me, healthwise, but I really felt gyped.
- I didn't have any really significant noise from other rooms or the hallway (my room was a bit away from the elevator) but there seemed to be a fair amount of noise from the street. I realize the hotel can't control that but I did notice it more often than at previous hotels.

In summary, it was a decent hotel and I might stay there again, if the price is right, but will likely continue on my quest to find the perfect Chicago hotel!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank na07950
Fenton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Location is awesome! The rooms were modern and clean. The staff went above and beyond with every request. The spa was relaxing and wonderful. My wife said it was the best massage she had ever had. We had a family emergency and had to rent a car to drive home and the Dana staff came to our aid doing everything they could to help. HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Best things about the hotel:
Location, location, location, love where this hotel is in the city.
The room was very modern and clean and stocked with some amazing wines actually. The actual look of the room and style was very sleek.

Not so great things about the hotel:
44.00 valet overnight parking!
The TV in our room was broken but we didn't really address it either until we left.
The coffee maker didnt work.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
danahotelandspa, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi IVMARI,
Thank you so much for your review! I am happy to hear you enjoyed the room and all Chicago has to offer. I am sorry to hear about your TV and Coffee Maker thank you for letting the front desk know upon check out . We agree parking in the city in general can get a little pricy we do our best to keep the prices as competitive as possible for Valet. Please let us know the next time your return, we can offer you alternative suggestions for parking. Our goal is to make every aspect of your stay enjoyable and we are happy to help with all requests.
Liana Clark
Director of Sales and Marketing
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife booked his hotel as a 40th Birthday gift and it was spectacular! The roof top bar had a nightlife atmosphere with incredible blue flamed fire pits and a breathtaking view of the city. Of course, the outdoor TVs were showing the Blackhawks game so any guy could enjoy the best of both worlds! The room was contemporary and extremely comfortable. The icing on the cake was the balcony you could step out onto with a glass of wine from the room stock to relax and see the city from your room. The great location, just steps from Quartino and other great restaurants makes this the best choice imaginable for a "date night" in the City. Clean rooms. Unique rain effect shower. Extremely friendly staff. Unique décor. I cannot say enough about this one of a kind Chicago hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple