WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Fantastic experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #46 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Galway
“Fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our 1st trip to Chicago was enhanced by the wonderful staff at the Dana Hotel. Tim, the Concierge, was exceptional. Nothing was a problem. The hotel itself was fab. We were staying for a week so decided to upgrade to a suite. The rooms were huge and there was a balcony off both the sitting room and the bedroom. The views were amazing. We stayed on the 14th floor.....no noise!! we left the balcony doors open and slept soundly. Vertigo rooftop bar (26th floor) was amazing but very expensive. We were a 5 minute walk from Michigan Ave. Everywhere was a short walk away. The location was fantastic. If we get to Chicago again we will be staying there. Thanks so much to all :)

1 Thank SunnyWestGalway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here 2 years ago when it was still a fairly new hotel. We had such a great experience that we booked again this year. Our 2nd stay was no where near the 1st. This time we just felt like a number. The bellhops & bar staff were great, but it was the booking and asking for late check out that did it for me. Noon is check out time, we requested late check out and they replied...Sure...12:30!! There are far more accommodating hotels in Chicago..we will be staying elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony. Make sure you're not on the 25th floor as there is a night club thumping righ...
Dear QZEE1,
I am very sorry to hear that your return to dana fell far below your expectations. We strive to ensure each guest feels welcome with individual attention, and my sincerest apologies that was not your experience. We do our very best to ensure all guest requests are met so they have a fantastic experience, however sometimes we cannot meet them all. I do hope you try us again in the future, thank you for your review.
DarienJim
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is the second time in a year I have stayed here. The first time I was facing Northwest (and had a much better room with a king bed) and I remember the outside noise being very loud, but this time I faced right out to State street and found the constant road noise unbearable and the fire and police activity over the top.

This is a hip hotel and has a great rough top deck called Vertigo. There are not a lot of roof top bars in the neighborhood, but you don't need to stay here to go to the club.

The rooms are fine although personally I am not a fan of a shower head directly above my head. The bathroom though is very, very small.

Internet is free which is a plus in my book. Breakfast food is good but service is very spotty. Workers just seem like they are not happy to work there and some food did not come as ordered.

Front door service is friendly but it took me 15 minutes to get me car which is supposedly 1 block away.

I am a world traveler and I would rank this hotel as four stars if not for the constant noise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DarienJIm
Fort Collins, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I decided to stay here from the TripAdvisor reviews...don't be fooled.

This is the noisest hotel I've ever stayed in - some is preventable, some is not.

The biggest problem the hotel suffers is that it's about two blocks from an extremely busy fire station, and you can hear ambulances and fire truck sirens starting up and driving off at all hours of the day and night. Even on the 24th floor, you could hear them for miles.

The doors block no sound at all, and each time a door closes on the floor, it sounds like a gunshot. Fortunately, you won't be asleep anyway, since the housekeeping staff likes to holler stories at eachother at the top of their lungs starting at about 7:30 each morning.

There are other annoyances too, like an extremely loud air conditioning, only one ice machine in the entire building, small rooms and such., but the real killer is the noise.

On the upside, the staff is friendly, and the location (other than the fire station) is convenient.

We used earplugs and more or less got through our week, but it was not relaxing.

Avoid.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jake_latham
Dear jake_latham,
I am so sorry to hear about your experience during your stay. Our goal is to provide a relaxing environment for our guests, and I am sorry to hear that was not your experience. Please know that we do have quieter areas of the hotel and if you were to return and request a quieter area, we would do our best to ensure that is what you would receive. Thank you for your review and I hope you give us another try!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We are a married couple in the late 50s/early 60s range, and were placed here by the company on whose board I sit (because the hotel is closeby their offices AND they are a green hotel). The clientele is young, but we like that, our kids are the demographic (20s-early 30s) and we hang out with them more than anyone, so this is in effect how we rate our stays, how it fits our overall needs. The Dana was a very pleasurable experience. The staff are VERY accommodating, as in VERY. So, do not shy away because you read about their popularity (as in, the young folks like it). The bellmen, desk staff, etc., could not have been nicer, must say especially the bellmen, how nice are they?! The rooms are not big, but don't feel particularly claustropobic (and I am that person). The bathroom doors could use an anal retentive carpenter to line them up so that they don't open when the bellmen are standing right there... I know that is not easy (and I mean it, my husband is a builder). If you are not comfortable sitting on the POT and having someone (in my case, husband) swipe the curtain aside thinking it is the closet, be pre-warned... the bedroom is linked to the bath/shower by a curtain. That curtain cannot be seen through if closed.... so just a bit of pre-thinking if you are modest or easily frightened (like me). But once you get past these issues, this is a great place to stay. Beds very very comfortable. There is a way to open the bottom of the window for fresh air. The rooms are a little hot even after setting the thermostat, so you will need this. Best not to have a room across from the elevators (we did, but we are really good sleepers, but understand that most people are not). The rooftop bar is great! Yes, we were a quarter century older than most of the guests up there, but it's Chicago, so we were included immediately of course. Overall, a fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevator are a tiny bit noisy. Actually did not bother us all that much except at 9 a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rmaria
Miamisburg, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed the weekend at this beautiful hotel. After much research on this website, I chose this one due to all of the wonderful reviews. I was not disappointed. From the friendly Ceasar to the rooftop nightclub, everything was fantastic. A perfect romantic getaway. We were there for two nights - Friday and Saturday. We stayed in a corner king with a nice view of the city. Only downside is that even with the closed blinds, too much light snuck in and we were unable to sleep late. But sleep was not why we were there. The hall noise was not a factor. Yes, there was some noise late at night from other guests, and the room doors were not quiet at all when they automatically shut. But along with the street noise, not a big deal. All of the touches in the room (snacks, bar, etc) were great. We really enjoyed the glass shower!!! Some may not like the visibility, but we found it to be fun. We aren't a shy couple. But for those that want the privacy, there is a curtain that can be used. The nightclub was a bit loud for my choosing, but again, that is what nightclubs do. Unfortunately it was a bit too cold and windy to enjoy the firepit. On Saturday night, after we went to the Maroon 5 concert, we ended up at the tavern across the street. Drinks were cheap, food was good and we only had to cross the street to our bed! Yes, the pricing is a little more than I would normally pay, but this is Chicago, and the location and ambiance of the hotel made it worth it. We would highly recommend this for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: For a romantic getaway, I would choose the corner king. Great view and a sexy environment!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Richard G,
WOW! It sounds like you had a fantastic time, thank you for the five star review! It sounds like we were the perfect destination for your romantic weekend. Next time, try our Tranquil Suites, they have a double rainfall shower that is really popular with our guests. Thanks again :)
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

A friend told me about the Dana Hotel, and I'm glad for the recommendation! I stayed last October for a business trip, and plan on staying again real soon on my next trip. Caesar is always cheerful and friendly and helpful with recommendations! The rooms are gorgeous and spacious, and love the view on any level!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear mcclure238,
Thank you for your review and your kind recognition of Ceaser! He is a great doorman and we are so happy to have him on our team. Look forward to your return!!