“Chic, Trendy Hotel in Great Location”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #61 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Dana Hotel & Spa for an early Valentine's Day getaway for 1 night. We found a deal on their website that included breakfast and a complimentary room upgrade so we decided to book it the night before we went to go see the Book of Mormon (hilarious by the way).

The hotel is in a very nice part of Chicago (River North) and cabs, restaurants, bars, and shopping are all VERY accessible at all times of the day and night from this locale. We checked in the early evening and decided to give their rooftop bar a chance. Big mistake. It was definitely not our scene. Great views and it's an indoor / outdoor rooftop bar which was all awesome. But they had horrible music and videos playing and the place was completely dead.

We were there early (9:00 or so) but we were 2 of 8 people in the entire night club. Cocktails were outrageously expensive ($16) and were not worth the money what-so-ever. I enjoy Top 40 Pop music, but that's not what was playing... it was strange bump n grind stuff that I had never heard before. We paid for our round of drinks and headed out for the night.

The next day we had breakfast. My wife had the french toast and I had the oatmeal, both were fantastic. Soon thereafter we had full body massages in the spa. We decided to try the hot stone massage and it was WONDERFUL. The steam showers were "down for repairs" while we were there but that is literally the only thing I could complain about. Their staff was friendly and courteous and the massage therapists did a wonderful job.

The room... we got a corner King Suite and it was AWESOME. The ceiling is unfinished, just roughed out concrete. We had floor to ceiling windows on two walls, facing South down State Street with a view of Trump Tower in the distance. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was very quiet, couldn't hear any of the traffic outside or in the hallway.

One little thing to mention is the bathroom. Thankfully it was my wife and I staying there without anyone else. Why you ask? Because there's a giant glass wall in the shower so anyone in the bedroom could watch you shower. It wasn't a little window or privacy glass... I'm talking floor to ceiling glass window so you can see EVERYTHING! For us it was kind of cool. If you're getting two beds and sharing with another couple or relative... not good at all.

The shower itself was great. I think it's called a rain shower. The shower head is directly over you and it was like getting rained on. They had a little stool in there so you could just sit down, hunch over and feel the hot water just run all over. It was very relaxing.

We checked out of the room and the front desk kept our bags as we went to lunch, then to the musical. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful and we really enjoyed it. Not sure if it's a hotel for everyone, but if you like trendy and different (and watching your partner shower), then this is a good place for you.

Room Tip: Corner king suites provide two walls of floor to ceiling windows and great views!
2  Thank Nick S
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Nick S,
Thank you for posting such a great review of our hotel! It sounds like you expereinced all of our amenities and I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. The Corner King rooms really give a great view of Chicago, I hope you can return soon to experience it again!

There are newer reviews for dana hotel and spa

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is an all night party hotel. The nightclub Vertigo is on the roof and dominates the hotel. We stayed there for the weekend and were awaken both nights by people running and shouting in the hallways from 2-6am. In addition, the club crowd brings honking cabs and whistles from the doormen hailing cabs - and that goes on until 3am. We stayed on the 11th floor, which is too low not to hear everything going on in the street, but the upper floors were all occupied by a huge party of partiers. We wished the hotel had told us they were hosting a huge event that would bring in the all night crowd, but maybe that is typical. We did not experience any of the personal touch described by other reviewers and found the front desk staff to be more like Home Depot employees who avoid eye contact.

Room Tip: Get a high floor(around20), but not too close to the club. Quieter rooms do not face State Street
1  Thank busytraveler1116
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear busytraveler1116, I hope you can accept our apologies for your experience during your stay. You did stay with us during a one night only special event, and we normally can accommodate our guests requests for higher and quieter floors in the hotel. The service issues you described are unacceptable and please be assured they have been addressed with the appropriate departments. I really hope you can try us again the next time you visit Chicago!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel! The architectures unusual and pretty creative. The staff is very efficient and friendly. The spa within the hotel is WONDERFUL! The rooms have some wonderful features such as an IPod deck, rain shower head, and small balconies. I have stayed here twice and both times were great! Not sure this would be a children friendly hotel. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Hi mjcrooksmomof3, I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the style of our hotel. We were a brand new build in 2008 and are really proud of our unique, trendy style. Thank you for returning for a second visit and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

From the moment you make your reservations to the exit of your stay the Dana Hotel & Spa serves with excellent! It in the perfect location with enough restaurants and Chicago downtown nightlife around. Even better is that they have a lounge right upstairs with the most amazing view of the city. I loved loved our room -- and you'll just love their unique shower!

Don't pass this place up -- its a gem !

Room Tip: Top floors for a view of the city ! Even better the corner rooms ;)
1  Thank lovetotraveltorres
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear lovetotraveltorres,
Thank you for your awesome review. I am so happy you enjoyed the beautiful Chicago views from our lounge and your room. See you again soon!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stay at the Dana every time I go to Chicago. The doormen always greet you by your name and welcome you back. Cesar, one of the doormen, said it is the best place he has ever worked. All of your requests are responded to with a "certainly, no problem". The location is fabulous. I love this hotel!! I travel alone many times and always feel safe in this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side and higher floors are sunny and bright with beautiful views of the city. Th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Bobbie T, I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! Thank you especially for your great comments about Cesar, he is a great associate here at the hotel and we are happy he is a part of our team. See you again the next time you visit Chicago!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My second stay and what a wonderful stay it was! Room service was delicious. The restaurant was more of an Asian theme last time I was here and now it is more American. They have the most comfortable pillows ever! The shower was amazing and floor to ceiling windows..what more can I say.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Hi followmylead,
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and our new restaurant, Argent Restaurant and Raw Bar. Thank you for mentioning our floor to ceiling windows, we are glad you enjoyed the view :)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is my second time staying at the Dana and I was not disappointed. I found an excellent rate on their website, a AAA discount on a room for 2 only $107. The room was small, but I knew that when choosing it, only about 250 sq. ft., but everything was well thought out and the room was very attractive. The room also included a nice balcony and had the weather been nice, we would have enjoyed it! There are many larger rooms to choose from, but since it was just my daugher and myself and we were just staying one night, this size worked out fine for us. The staff is very down to earth and very friendly. The hotel is "hip" and the location is excellent. Comfortable bed, free wifi, nice wine selection, great shower, yummy looking snacks, what more can you ask for. I will return!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Hi teedeeandchelchel, Thank you for such a great review! I am so happy you were pleased with the hotel and your guestroom for you second time here. You must return when the weather is nicer to enjoy our balconies :)