“Almost, but not quite”
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #58 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I had wanted to stay at the Dana for a few years, but its price point is more than we normally pay for a room in Chicago. A recent online deal made it an affordable option for us.

The hits: the rooms are very nice and super well appointed. We had a corner king, and I just love the decor, the B&W ipad dock, the Keurig coffee maker, stocked fridge with wine/beer/soda and super decent prices, the candy basket, comfy beds, robes, slippers, gorgeous hand scraped wood floor. And then there are those floor to ceiling windows; they take a little getting used to, but love seeing the city skyline at night. The room was also extremely quiet - can't hear a lot of outside noise. The bathroom was quite small, but the shower is mean to be the focal point of the bathroom clearly (see through to the bedroom). Bellmen were awesome at this hotel. The location is also absolutely perfect.

The misses: the awkard lobby bar/second floor lobby layout. AJA is just average - wish they would raise the bar on this restaurant. We also didn't really care for the theme of the Vertigo Skylounge - okay if you're twenty something, but not a relaxed lounge atmosphere. I also don't understand why they don't let guests access the lounge directly. We had to go down to the lobby in the elevator, where the hostesses made us go outside in the cold to enter through the streetside door (even though they could have let us through the interior way), and then we had to get back in the same elevator we just got off of to go up to Vertigo. Bizarre.

The hotel also needs to pay a little more attention to detail and cleanliness in common areas.

It's a good choice if you want a trendy hotel in an excellent location, but for your money, I'd be on other Chicago hotels before this one.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room or upgrade!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Ms_Miltown
danahotelandspa, Director of Sales at dana hotel and spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your accommodations and you love the decor. During development we spent a lot of time going over the rooms from our guests point of view. For example we were going have the hand scraped maple cover the entire floor but then thought, do our guests really want to put their feet on a cold ground as soon as they wake up. That's when we added carpeting around the bed.
As for the misses we are in the process of re-developing our restaurant so I would love for you to check back with us in May As for your entrance into vertigo, I am sorry they sent you outside to wait in line, we will do a refresher training on this subject. They do need to send to you the vertigo entrance (lower level) to allow for the Vertigo Security team to let you up.
I hope you choose to stay with us again and try out our new restaurant in May.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,049)

Reviewed March 9, 2012

I'll write this review assuming those going to Chicago are familiar with the River North/Maginficent Mile part of town, just north of the Chicago River.

The hotel was very nice. There lounge/bar on the 43rd floor (Vertigo) is very popular. Constant lines form outside the hotel for this place. One of the more popular clubs in town.

The room was half wood floor, half commercial carpet. The bathroom had a rain showerhead and was very modern.

There's an Ipod docking station with speakers next to the flat screen TV. Ice was on the 5th floor.

They have a spa and weightroom on the 4th floor. I love the steam room in the men's locker room. Nice way to relax and relieve stress.

We brought booze and mix...as we always do...and inevitably spilled some on the floor. I was pleased to see that that maid actually moppoed the wood portion of the floor. They really did a good job with the cleaning.

I'd recommend to anybody staying in the River North/Mag. Mile area of Chicago.

I saw one review on here and the lady didn't have anything nice to say. She obviously didn't stay there. If I were a business owner, I'm guessing this is precisely the type of patron whose business I would NOT want - just seems like this is someone who can't be pleased no matter what. In fairness to her, I didn't eat at Aja, their in-hotel restaurant, but I find it hard to believe the waiter spilled water on EVERYBODY'S lap as she stated.

Any how...this is a very nice hotel. Completely remodeled in a perfect location.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mingo49

Thanks for the kind review! We are happy you enjoyed the hotel. Next time you will have to try our tranquil sutie wait until you see that shower! Please let us know when your travels bring you back to Chicago we would love to have you back.
Cheers,
Liana Clark

Reviewed March 6, 2012

My fiancé and I had our engagement party at Vertigo Sky Lounge on 3/6/12. Vertigo is the elegant lounge/nightclub on the roof of the Dana Hotel.

We coordinated plans through Gino Bartucci. Gino and the entire staff at Vertigo made our party a huge success and absolutely flawless. We actually had guests calling us the next day saying how much fun they had (how often does that happen...?). The bartenders were fast and friendly. Food (appetizers) were great. Music and sound system was top notch. Crowd was sexy and sophisticated.

We did not stay at the actual hotel, but did walk through. Very elegant and modern. If the rest of the staff at the Dana Hotel is as superb as Gino and the Vertigo staff, I would highly recommend staying with them.

Charles and Ashley

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Charles H

Congratualations Charles and Ashley on your engagement!!
I am happy to hear you had such a great time at Vertigo. I agree with you Gino and his team are superb! Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Wonderful staff and views from my interesting room at the far north end of the hotel. Finishes are a little worn on the furniture, but the room and bathroom were wonderfully designed and the bed was extremely comfortable. I thought the breakfast food was fine, but the service and the food were not nearly as good as some similar hotels nearby. I would go out for breakfast.

Room Tip: I would select "Serene King" vs. a "Comfy King" which was a bit small and which...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in February 2012.

Location was perfect for us, 5 mins from the office, reception was fast and efficient, service good and the room was great. Good facilities, including Wifi.

The breakfast (which wasn't included, but a $10 discount) was excellent, great choice and quality food.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Paulo1179
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I travel about 80% for work and have seen far too many hotels. dana has set a new standard and easily my favorite boutique hotel, Chicago or anywhere.

Fantastic location in one of downtown Chicago's best area. Easy access to the hotel by limo, cab, or CTA from the airports, and on-site valet if you're driving into town. Even easier access to all of Chicago's neighborhoods (Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Loop, West Loop) once you're there. You really can't get more central than dana, and the immediate surroundings have some great accommodations within walking distance.

From Vertigo (rooftop bar) to aja (main floor restaurant) to the spa services and everything in between, the service was nothing short of perfect. Every employee we came across was attentive, courteous, and professionally -- yet somehow non-intrusive. Truly 5 star service.

The room was impeccable. From the gorgeous design to the attention to detail, I couldn't have asked for anything more. Chicago is a noisy city, but the moment we walked into the room, everything was quiet.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My husband recently booked a trip for a celebration with friends and booked the Dana. We go to Chicago on a regular basis and had never heard of the property. Actually have walked right by it on several occasions!

It was wonderful!

The Corner King Room (south facing is a must) was amazing -- floor to ceiling windows and a great view of State Street in the eve.

Beds were to die for, rain shower was great!

Weekend parking rate was $43 for the entire time.

Location, location, location!