“Places you--or other tourists--won't find yourself”

Chicago Food Planet
Small-Group Chicago Food Tour: Wicker Park and Bucktown
Ranked #2 of 60 Food & Drink in Chicago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Rated 'Best Chicago Tour' by Lonely Planet and featured on The Today Show (NBC), USA Today and Bon Appetit, Chicago Food Planet Food Tours & Experiences offer delicious 2 & 3-hour neighborhood food experiences focused exclusively in Chicago's historic and off-the-beaten-path neighborhoods near downtown including River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast, Chinatown, Bucktown, Old Town and Wicker Park. Suitable for all age groups and fitness levels, each walking food experience provides a non-touristy, local perspective so you feel like a native Chicagoan. These guided Food Tours & Experiences include mouth-watering food samples, enough for a large lunch or dinner, from unique specialty food stores, local restaurants and ethnic eateries while providing a detailed insiders view of Chicago's most famous communities- their rich histories, treasured architecture, dazzling entertainment offerings and restaurant recommendations. Tours run 7 days a week between March and November and Thursday-Sunday during winter months (November to March). The earliest tour departure leaves at 11am and depending on the experience, will last between 2-3 hours. Tickets start at $35 adult for youth tickets and $42 for adult tickets. Please note, Chicago Food Planet can accommodate vegetarians and alcohol-free dietary restrictions if possible at tasting locations, but cannot accommodate other allergies or restrictions. The 3-1-Chew (Bucktown/Wicker Park) food experience is the only experience that can accommodate gluten-free.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Chicago, Illinois
“Places you--or other tourists--won't find yourself”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My tour of the Near North with Chicago Food Planet Food Tours was the first food tour I'd ever taken. Our guide was a younger guy who enjoys traveling and meeting new people, and he took the time to connect with every person in the group during the tour. Our group was an international one of about 10 people, which was a great size for getting to know one another.

The amount of food served on the tour was just right--not too much, but definitely enough, with the heavier food tasted at the beginning and end of the tour. While I didn't think that visiting a tea or olive oil shop would be interesting, I thought that those were the most unique experiences--we learned a lot about the benefits, history, and preparation of tea, and got to taste oils and vinegars that were very high quality and specially flavored. The one weak link in the tour, in my opinion, was our visit to a spice shop. The shop had many interesting items, but instead we focused on tasting different types of cinnamon. It was interesting, but there probably were more interesting potential topics.

Overall, I really appreciated the variety of places we visited, the energy of our guide, the small size of the group, and the opportunity to walk along some of the most beautiful parts of Chicago that are NOT on Michigan Avenue!

I would recommend this tour to both visitors and Chicago natives.You should note, however, that this tour did not allow time for purchasing items, so it would be ideal NOT to do this tour on your last day in Chicago, because you might want to re-visit some place you saw and use some of the coupons that the company has arranged for participants. Our tour was supposed to last about 3 hours, but ended up being 3 hours and 20 minutes, so it will take up a good portion of your afternoon. You should eat something substantial about an hour before the tour, but don't stuff yourself. We walked a good distance, so wear comfortable shoes, and bring sunglasses, a bottle of water, and your camera.

Visited April 2011
chicagofoodplanet, Manager at Chicago Food Planet, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Many thanks for the excellent feedback-- we greatly appreciate your time and effort in posting a review. Glad to hear you had a great time on your first food tour experience- they are an excellent way to learn the history, architecture and especially foods of Chicago's off-the-beaten-path communities. As a Chicago native yourself, it's great to be a tourist in your own city! Look forward to showcasing our other tours on a return visit- thanks again!

Jackson, Tennessee
“loved it”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

i so loved this food tour. kent our guide was great and cute too :) it was a bit too much walkin and not enough sitting for my mom, so if your not up for a 2 hr walk dont go, or plan to add a cab in the middle of the tour.

Visited April 2011
chicagofoodplanet, Owner at Chicago Food Planet, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Kent is cute-- glad you noticed! :)~ Thanks for your feedback and glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We hope you can join us again in our other off-the-beaten-path neighborhood food tours during a return visit!
New Lenox, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Informative, fun, delicious!”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I would highly recommend this tour. It was fun, informative and the samples were all delicious. Hilary was a fantastic guide with tons of knowledge about the history of everywhere we went, the products we were shown, the neighborhoods, architecture! You name it, she knew it! It was a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon. By it being a walking tour you felt like you walked off the food you sampled.

1 Thank CheeseBride
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

My twelve year old and I had a wonderful time. It was a great way to see parts of the city which you sometimes miss. We are coming back with the whole family and we are going to take one of the other tours.

1 Thank Curleytoes
chicagofoodplanet, Manager at Chicago Food Planet, responded to this review, April 10, 2011
Fantastic- so great to hear you and your daughter enjoyed the happenings and very much looking forward to your return visit with the whole family!
Fresno, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth the Ticket!”
Reviewed April 8, 2011

First of all, I want to admit that I was foolish and booked not only the wrong tour, but also the wrong day. Customer service was nice enough to change my ticket the same morning of the tour!!! They got back to me extremely fast and were understanding!!

Jessica was our tour guide and she was super nice and very knowledgeable of the neighborhoods and restraurnats. I have been on many tours because I travel a lot and sometimes a tour guide might make you feel uneasy or uncomfortable. Not Jessica! She made everyone feel like we were a big family.

On to the food. Every place we went to was fabulous! It was a great mix of food and drinks that had something for everyone. I wish I lived in Chicago so I could revisit all of the places we went too, as well as the other restaurants/bars/food places she mentioned on our tour.

1 Thank chrish1101
chicagofoodplanet, Owner at Chicago Food Planet, responded to this review, April 9, 2011
We're so glad it worked out and we could help make your trip to Chicago that much better! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review- hope you can join us on our Chicago Near North Food Tou or delicious Chinatown Food Tour during your next visit! Tasty travels!

Been to Chicago Food Planet? Share your experiences!