“Great atmosphere, Almost great pizza”
Review of Spacca Napoli

Spacca Napoli
Ranked #27 of 10,872 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Ravenswood
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Loved the classy, upscale yet Italian styling of the place. Great menu of unusual pizzas and antipastas. The attempt at making "original Napoli-style" pizza is good, but not perfect.

We had the 4-cheese with porcini mushroom pie. Great combination of cheeses and the mushrooms were excellent. Napoli-style? Well...Yes, they have the old-world wood-burning pizza "oven". Yes, they use the freshest of ingredients. Yes, the hand-tossed, irregular-shaped pizzas come out with a beautiful blistered-spotted crust and the toppings look delicious.

BUT - they fell short of the "Napoli-style" moniker. Why? The pizza was essentially only partially cooked in the center - either because it wasn't rotated properly in the oven, or was simply undercooked (my assumption). The center was not even hot - actually more luke-warm and crust was soggy and limp (I hate that!).

Also - could have used a bit more "kick" in terms of spicy - seemed a bit bland and unexciting.

And the dough was a bit rubbery to me - personal preference maybe...

I may go back, but would be specific in how I wanted my pie to be cooked and maybe change to a different topping mix for added variability.

The buffalo cheese and proscuitto appetizer was excellent - cheese was fresh (Large portion!) and the proscuitto was fresh and silky as butter. Highly recommend. You could have this with some bread and a bottle of wine and call it dinner-for-2...

Wine list is mostly Italian and unassuming - served in an old-fashion-like glass as in Italy (not wine stemware). Service was excellent.

Another great part? The free mini-cannoli they give you when you exit. My wife and I fought over the last bite (she won, as usual...). Excellent!

Date of visit: March 2013
2  Thank Cohibaba

Reviewed February 24, 2013

...the amazing pizzas of my native Sao Paulo, Brazil, which are on their turn as good as or better than those you can get in Napoli (attested by Italian tourists). I think this is probably as good as it gets in Chicago, though. Very well done, high quality ingredients, perfect slightly charred borders which I ate with gusto.

The four stars are just my way of asking for a little bit more of kid friendliness. No apple juice? No orange juice? Soda only? Well my son doesn't like soda (although in these instances we would like him to...). We ordered a San Pellegrino Limonata which he didn't touch. On the flip side, I asked our lovely waiter (they all seem very apt and speak good Italian when naming the pizzas and ingredients) to try to find us the bottle's cap, so we could take it home. She came back with one of their stoppers and said, Take one of ours, I didn't want to get a cap for you from the thrash. A nice touch.

We will definitely come back (with a small bottle of apple juice tuck into my wife's purse)...

Date of visit: February 2013
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Went here based on tripadvisor's best restaurants in Chicago. Definitely not a letdown! Pizza was superb, as good as Cupola back in San Francisco. Our waiter was so attentive and knowledgable about each item on the menu. He had cool stories to tell, and pronounced every Italian word correctly. My mouth is watering at the thought of their pizzas. Would definitely come back! Friendly smiles from everyone in the restaurant. Very memorable!

Date of visit: February 2013
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our favorite go-to spot when we are tried and don't feel like cooking, the one place we always take our out of town visitors. This is real pizza, as prepared in southern Italy. They light a oak fire in the oven every day, and bake their own bread. Excellent and unpretentious.

Pizza is always good, with seasonal ingredients and variations, appetizers are likewise varied and interesting, heavy on vegetables and salumi. An affordable wine list with regionally sensitive choices is a great match for the food at hand, they have Italian beer and Italian pop which is a nice change from the usual colas.

We took my visiting Italian Father (age 82) when he came to visit us and he insisted on going back before he left - the second time he ordered a whole sea food salad appetizer just for himself and would not share, this in addition to the shared appetizers we ordered for the table and of course pizza . It is a favorite with our trendy 25 year old niece whenever she visits.

I love the stuffed squash blossoms, but alas they have a short season. Always ask about what is on the blackboard. Great grilled vegetables to start, sweet and sour zucchini are good and arugula and prociutto is always very fresh. The pizzas are a generous, and given that the appetizers are wonderful, I usually stock up on the appetizers and choose 1 pizza per 2 people - plan B would be to order a pizza each and take the leftovers home.

In summer the outdoor seating is delightful, but all the inside tables are good too. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable - the crowd is very casual varied and inclusive. Young couples on dates, after work friends of all ages, older people, multigenerational families. I would take a business visitor if i know they were foodies and valued good food in a casual setting over white table cloths.

This place has remained consistently good over many year - yes we may try some of the other trendy pizza places when invited out by others, but we choose to go back here at every opportunity.

The place is busy so phoning ahead for a reservation, especially if you are a crowd is recommended - it it just the 2 of us we might just try our luck and be prepared to wait a while.

Date of visit: December 2012
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This pizzeria may not be for everyone -- many people are under the impression that the pizza they grew up with is "real pizza." Come to Spacca Napoli for a taste of what you'll find in Italy -- especially if you've been there and can appreciate the difference. An important element here is that all of the ingredients used are either imported or prepared in the Italian tradition (not Italian-American). The pizzas are usually simpler than what one's accustomed to in the states but this style really concentrates on the fresh flavors from those ingredients that are featured on your pizza. Currently I have three favorites -- two of which are specials -- one has asparagus (and creamed asparagus stuffed in the edge of the crust) and prosciutto, the other special is Bianco e Nero -- a white pizza that features porcini mushrooms and truffle oil. My go-to standard menu item is the sausage and mushroom with a tomato base. The wine list has many affordable whites and reds, often from the south of Italy. The rooms are very attractive and in summer one can dine al fresco -- that's when I can really pretend that I'm in Naples or some other wonderful place in Italia! Wish I was going there now!

Date of visit: December 2012

Been to Spacca Napoli? Share your experiences!