“Updated Menu & the Beer is Great”

The Berghoff Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Berghoff Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #116 of 9,802 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: State Street
Transit: Located in the heart of Chicago's Loop, easily accessible by CTA's Red, Blue, Green, Brown, Orange, and Pink lines and numerous bus routes.
Description: The Berghoff Restaurant is a Chicago landmark, serving German-style cuisine and culture since 1898. One of the oldest family-run businesses in the nation, it is now run by fourth generation, Pete Berghoff. At today’s Berghoff, menus have evolved to add newer, lighter and more contemporary dishes, but it’s still the same old Berghoff, down to the famous root beer. Open for lunch and dinner, the Berghoff’s wide variety of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and entrées is sure to satisfy everyone in your party. With fresh ingredients, seasonal menus and vegetarian & gluten-free dishes, it's “tradition with a twist!” Private Dining provides a truly unique event experience within the setting of the historic Berghoff building. Host your next event in one of our four private rooms. Contact us to start planning today!
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was n Chicago recently on a business trip and had to look up the Berghoff for dinner one of my two nights there. It was easy to do since the conference i was attending was at the Palmer House just a few short blocks away.

I had been here only once before about 20 years ago and still remembered how much I had enjoyed the broiled double lamb chops and had to have them again. Alas the menu has lightened up a bit and the chops are no longer doubles and are now served a bit more Mediterranean style and are set astride a nice Greek like salad. Look on the menu for the Free Range Lamb chops served with mixed greens, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and a zesty lemon, oregano vinaigrette - a great deal at $18.95. I added a side of creamed spinach for old time's sake and washed it all down with Berghoff's own SOLSTICE WIT beer - a feast for a tired soul.

I will definitely return on my next trip to the windy city.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place is really good. I had my doubts about it because I hadn't had German food before but it was delicious. It is also the first place I went where I actually tried Beer and ever since I have been drinking beer.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I used to eat here years ago as a kid and had fond memories of the great German food, but that was a distant memory. We ate here last week and had the sauerbraten with vegetables. The meat tasted old and the sweet and sour sauce had too much cornstarch in it. The vegetables tasted old, the only thing that was good was the mashed potatoes and sampler of 5 beers. The space is as I remember it...dark lots of old photographs. The restaurant even smelled bad...maybe it is summer holiday and the owner is away? Not impressed.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Berghoff has been a family owned business for four generations I believe, and the building's interior looks as old as it has been running. It's a beautiful restaurant and is quite classy. Their menu is also something that stands out among the other Chicago restaurants, it combines "New World" and "Old World" dishes, with more of a German flare to it. My meal was delicious and they were very kind in dealing with our time constraint. Overall an exquisite meal and wonderful historic ambiance.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Attended a business dinner here with a fixed menu of four entrée choices. The food was good. One of the managers gave a short history of the restaurant, a family owned concern.

Been to The Berghoff Restaurant? Share your experiences!