“Second stay here not as pleasant”

Hilton Garden Inn Champaign/ Urbana
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed December 2, 2008

We've stayed at this hotel once before (two years ago), but our second stay was not as pleasant as the first. I'll start with the cons, but end on the good stuff.

First, after our first night there our room was not cleaned. We were out of our room from 11am til 6pm and when we returned at 6pm it was just as we left it. We talked to the staff at the front desk and they were not very apologetic or willing to do much about it - they failed the true test of customer service. We had to leave to go to dinner and they told us they would send somebody up to replace the towels and leave some toilet paper. When we returned at 11pm they had not done so. Two strikes.

Second, we found bugs nesting in the window of our room. They were friendly lady bugs, and they were harmless, but it didn't make us feel like we had a clean room.

Third and last complaint are the thin walls and noise in this hotel. We could hear noise in nearly all directions and since it was a fairly busy weekend with the IHSA football tournament, we could hear a lot of noise.

Despite the problems mentioned above (and I do have high standards) this hotel is generally pretty nice. The overall cleanliness is high and since the hotel is only a few years old, it is still in nice condition. The room we had was mid-sized and they have pretty comfortable beds and a nice flat-panel TV.

Free wireless internet is nice and it works well.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Trav_Junkie

Reviewed July 24, 2008

Very clean and newly decorated with a huge car park. Reception staff were very helpful and gave us directions to a medical clinic as I was suffering from strep throat when I arrived.

Beds were very comfortable and the room was large and had a fridge and microwave. Due to strep throat, I stayed in bed while my mum went for dinner so can't comment on the quality of food but without driving there's nowhere else to go for dinner apart from McDonalds and a chinese takeaway.

Overall, nice, modern hotel with all the facilities you need for a short stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I had a conference at the university and stayed here for just 1 night as they were sold out for the rest of my time in Champaign/Urbana. This is either a really new hotel or newly refurbished. The staff are nice and helpful. The setup of the hotel is typical of other Hilton Garden Inns, but there are meeting rooms on the ground floor. The hotel lobby is the nicest I've seen for any Hilton Garden Inn. The rooms are typical, but also very nice. The breakfast was satisfactory. I discovered that they have an airport shuttle, but I don't think that it is advertised on the hotel's website. This hotel is much nicer than the Hampton Inn, but it is not as close to the central part of campus. I would stay here over any other place in town.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2008

I stayed here for a conference at the law school. To be honest, I found Champaign kind of depressing, and the thought of staying in a chain hotel didn't help. But there were some good things about this one.

First, it looks like it was recently refurbished, so everything was clean. (A faint smell of cigarette smoke, but I've come to expect that in chain hotels, even when they claim to be non-smoking.) My room had two double beds, and they were both comfortable. The room had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker, and you could even buy frozen food downstairs for the microwave. The bathroom was well stocked with Neutragena products.

Breakfast wasn't bad, with the highlight being the made-to-order omelettes. All of the waitstaff, including the woman tending bar and the guy who brought my room service order, were friendly, helpful, and prompt. The food prices were all very reasonable; even with a nearly 20 percent gratuity plus a $2 service charge, room service didn't break the bank at all.

The hotel has a shuttle service to and from the airport, which was very handy, as I didn't see a single taxi the entire time I was in Champaign (and that included the airport!)

I also used the business center to check my e-mail. They don't charge you for this the way some other hotels do. There's wi-fi throughout the hotel, but I didn't bring my laptop so can't tell you whether this worked well or not.

All in all, I had a comfortable stay here.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2008

I wanted to stay near UIUC campus, but luckily all was full in that area due to a festival so next choice was a hotel in town.
Checkin staff were very helpful, first by phone, then when I arrived.
Night duty staff dining area attendants also helpful and attentive.
The breakfast buffet seems to be a a rarity in USA: the food is actually not bad!
Area is quiet, but lots of eateries/shops in the rare case you can't get what you want at the hotel (they provide just about everything).
Large comfortable room with free and fast wireless access and printing.
What else to want?

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I stayed one night at this property, and had a large room on the top floor. I had a "sleep number" bed, and it was wonderful! The room was very clean (except for a stocking in the corner that the maid missed). Also, I received 2 waters upon check-in (may be because I'm an HHonors member). One of the best properties I've stayed at in a while. One negative, the front desk clerk announced my room number even though it was written down for me (and I wasn't having trouble reading it). Not a good policy, especially for a woman traveling alone.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Wife and I had an excellent experience at this hotel. This hotel must have been recently remodeled because everything is extremely clean. There are no suite type rooms, but our king size bed was extremely comfortable. The bathrooms are a little small, but very clean with Neutrogena brand products.

Free breakfast was very nice as well. Good selection of food and a short order cook to make omelets, eggs, pancakes, etc.

Pool area hospital clean with a small pool and hot tub. Both were very warm!

Hotel is located within a moderate walking distance of Assembly Hall (Illinois Basketball) and Memorial Stadium (Football).

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
I Hotel and Conference Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Champaign/ Urbana? Share your experiences!