“Like staying in a cardboard box”

Courtyard Champaign
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
chicago
“Like staying in a cardboard box”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have gold status with Marriott and Hilton, so I stay in a fair number of hotels every year. I dont write reviews, but...this place is like staying in a cardboard box! You will be able to hear everything that is going on in the room above you. My suggestion is to ask for a room on the third floor so you are top dog. I literally can hear the person walking around, opening the closet, using the restroom etc

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank shankone
TMIHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Champaign, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Shankone,
Thank you for your review of the Courtyard Champaign. Please accept my apology that you were unable to enjoy your stay. On future stays we would be more than happy to place you on the top floor of the hotel. Please allow us another opportunity to change your mind.

Steven S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This property is a solid 3.5 out of 5 stars. It's completely renovated so everything's fairly new. They have the modern, freshened lobby that many of the Courtyard hotels have now, with the Bistro, chic furniture, pleasant outdoor seating/socializing areas, modern touches in the lobby, etc. The photos on the hotel's website are accurate and correctly show the hotel's style and amenities.

It's set back behind a Fairfield Inn off the interstate, so I-74 noise is reduced considerably. Running the A/C fan continuously is necessary for a good night's sleep. Not much to walk to, but you can walk 3 long blocks, on sidewalks, over to a large mall (Market Place Shopping Center). The mall has all the currently popular stores, looks nice and upscale inside, and is said to be the best shopping center in the area. Nearby are lots of other hotels. Walk west 3 blocks and there's a strip (N. Prospect Ave) with all the usual chain restaurants and fast food and big box stores you see anywhere else. Your best bet in this otherwise average city is to get in the car and drive down Neil Street to downtown, where there are some great, local choices for food, brewpub, and nightlife. Champaign's downtown seems to be undergoing a renaissance and it's worth going down there to eat and catch some event going on like live music or art fests. Do a bit of googling in advance and you can find things to do. If you're going to the UIUC campus, note that's about 15 min away to the south and east.

Room had a new, very comforatable bed (as is the rule with Marriott properties) with assorted pillows and clean linens. Bath is fine, with a good shower, granite countertop, etc. Rather thin towels. Good 32" flat TV with premium channels, and the wireless internet access worked great. Plenty of free parking. Safe area. Room was a good size and very clean.

Only problems we had here was the A/C couldn't quite keep up with the summer heat and humidity, and we saw two waterbugs in the bath when we got up. I complained about these, and the staff was very gracious about it and awarded me some Marriott points. There wasn't anything they could do about it, of course, because we were leaving to continue our travels, but their attitude was positive and i got the sense they would address both problems before the next guests arrived. I think they would have been happy to give us another room had we noticed these things the night before.

Courtyards are generally very good 3-4 star properties and this one is no exception. I'd recommend it for a quick, comfortable stay.

Room Tip: They should all be okay. Like any chain hotel, light sleepers should try for the top floor and away...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tim1962
TMIHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Champaign, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Tim1962,
Thank you for your valuable feedback of the Courtyard by Marriott Champaign. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize that the A.C. didn't keep up and that you found water bugs in the bathroom. I'm glad that my staff was able to quickly take care of the situation. We hope that you are able to join us again in the near future. We love having you here.

Steven S.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here this weekend while visiting family, and had a wonderful stay. Everything was clean, well kept, and comfortable. Staff was friendly and welcoming. The hotel was easily located just off the highway, and there were several restaurants very close by. The mall just down the road is nice, and because the collage kids were not in town yet, the town was very low key. Only downside? The cafe in the lobby was nice, but slow... Be ready to wait for your French toast!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenquim
Chicago
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for the weekend while we were visiting our son. The hotel is conveniently situated off the highway. The staff was extremely friendly and the rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. We have stayed here before and would certainly consider staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank chicagomember
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the property visiting family in Champaign. The property was nice, with clean rooms and a professional staff. The location is great, with a lot of food choices, a mall and stores, such as Walmart and Target. The property is right off of the highway for easy access to the north and south. I would definitely stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a walkout balcony. Ask for it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank robwat23
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel was located north of the highway in Champaign. Staff was generally friendly, though my sister reported that one maid was rude to her. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable, but either the person before us had smoked cigars in the room or someone in adjacent room had smoked. Running the AC for a few hours got rid of most of the smell, which wasn't overwhelming.

I don't know if I'd stay here again, given its distance from campus (you definitely need a car) and the smoke smell.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Christopher D
TMIHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Champaign, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize we did not provide you with the experience you expected while staying at our hotel. I want to assure you that guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and these issues are being addressed. We hope with our efforts to improve every stay for our guests, you will try the Champaign Courtyard by Marriott again next time you stay in the area.

Steven Steinhauer
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Spent the night at this hotel when we were travelling to Chicago on a roadtrip.
Staff that checked us in were friendly enough.
The hotel has seen some upgrades, although it is an older property.
2 things I didn't care for:
Food smell from the Bistro was strong in the lobby and first floor
The heater seemed to have some sort of air freshner in it that was super offensive.
I had to sleep with the heater off or it blew some strong perfume smell out.
I would look for another hotel if I was in the area again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank P-TDI
ChampaignCYD_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Champaign, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I want to thank you for your feedback. I apologize you had a negative experience at our hotel. Guest satisfaction is our main priority and we are always looking for ways to improve. I want to assure you that all of these issues have been addressed so situations like this don’t happen again. We hope with our continued efforts to improve every stay for our guests, you will give the Champaign Courtyard by Marriott another try next time you stay in the area.

Steven Steinhauer