“Nice play to stay”

Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Chicago
“Nice play to stay”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for the weekend while we were visiting our son. The hotel is conveniently situated off the highway. The staff was extremely friendly and the rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. We have stayed here before and would certainly consider staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank chicagomember

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the property visiting family in Champaign. The property was nice, with clean rooms and a professional staff. The location is great, with a lot of food choices, a mall and stores, such as Walmart and Target. The property is right off of the highway for easy access to the north and south. I would definitely stay at this property again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a walkout balcony. Ask for it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank robwat23
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel was located north of the highway in Champaign. Staff was generally friendly, though my sister reported that one maid was rude to her. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable, but either the person before us had smoked cigars in the room or someone in adjacent room had smoked. Running the AC for a few hours got rid of most of the smell, which wasn't overwhelming.

I don't know if I'd stay here again, given its distance from campus (you definitely need a car) and the smoke smell.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Christopher D
TMIHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Champaign, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize we did not provide you with the experience you expected while staying at our hotel. I want to assure you that guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and these issues are being addressed. We hope with our efforts to improve every stay for our guests, you will try the Champaign Courtyard by Marriott again next time you stay in the area.

Steven Steinhauer
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Spent the night at this hotel when we were travelling to Chicago on a roadtrip.
Staff that checked us in were friendly enough.
The hotel has seen some upgrades, although it is an older property.
2 things I didn't care for:
Food smell from the Bistro was strong in the lobby and first floor
The heater seemed to have some sort of air freshner in it that was super offensive.
I had to sleep with the heater off or it blew some strong perfume smell out.
I would look for another hotel if I was in the area again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank P-TDI
ChampaignCYD_GM, General Manager at Courtyard Champaign, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I want to thank you for your feedback. I apologize you had a negative experience at our hotel. Guest satisfaction is our main priority and we are always looking for ways to improve. I want to assure you that all of these issues have been addressed so situations like this don’t happen again. We hope with our continued efforts to improve every stay for our guests, you will give the Champaign Courtyard by Marriott another try next time you stay in the area.

Steven Steinhauer
Indianapolis
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Nice hotel. Quiet, no problems. Lots of shopping nearby. Staff was helpful, but not all were overly friendly. Didn't try the bistro. Sofabed my son slept on was horrible though. Pool was decent, a little chilly. Hot tub was great. Gave us a late check-out with no problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chi_townfan_7
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here in Jan/2013 for one night. Good hotel decent location (about 15-20 minutes from UofI campus - depending on where you're going). Friendly staff - can't really complain.

Why 4 stars - well location, is on the north side of I-74 (where most of the budget hotels are) so if you're going anywhere near campus it can take 15-20 minutes).

They have a new newly renovated lobby - like the style that all Courtyard's are getting I guess.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stopped at this hotel with no reservations late evening after a long drive from MN to OH. We chose this hotel because we've always had a great stay at Marriott (Courtyards) whether it was planned (for business) or spontaneous while on a personal trip. We had just a horrible experience at another name brand chain on the trip OH to MN and were hyper wary and critical.

The front desk was polite, friendly, efficient, and even looked up our Rewards number. She gave us a quiet room (like we requested) upgraded us to a king bed room (I had inquired about), and recommended a restaurant for the type of food we were looking. We dropped off our bags, inspected the room, and went to dinner, by the time we returned, she had left message in the room to confirm everything was satisfactory.

The room was clean, crisp sheets (love the double sheet duvet) the location was quiet and towels were soft and big. Good coffee in the morning in the lobby, front desk at checkout was polite. I have had consistently great service and rooms with Courtyard Marriott.

I will choose a Marriott over any other chain given the geographical opportunity!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple