“Really nice staff, great value”

Drury Inn & Suites Champaign
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
St. Louis
“Really nice staff, great value”
Reviewed December 9, 2008

i had a great experience at the Drury Inn and Suites in Champaign. I was visiting the University of Illinois, and booked this hotel because it seemed close enough to everything I wanted to see, I thought the staff was friendly and helpful (they told me good restaurants to go to, plus directions!) and the best part was the breakfast! This isn't continental breakfast, but a full breakfast! We probably saved $10 per person just having a delicious breakfast at the hotel.

• Liked — Nice staff, good breakfast
  • Disliked — Everythng was fine
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jen4ay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed October 28, 2008

I booked this hotel after searching on the internet for a place to stay in Champaign, Illinois. The rates were by far the best than any other hotel in town (we got the e-saver rate, better rate than AAA. You can still get it by calling directly to the hotel, just ask for that rate). We arrived about 5 p.m. and got checked in right away. You get a ticket for 3 "adult" beverages during "happy hour". We enjoyed our complimentary drinks while we waited for the rest of our group to arrive. By the way, they also have complementary soft drinks and popcorn. Included with "happy hour" are chips & salsa, carrot sticks and dip and, pretzels.
Our room was very nice and clean. There are flat screen tv's in every room which the kids enjoyed when they weren't swimming. The pool is a nice size and it is an indoor/outdoor pool, which means half is inside and half is outside. The kids love that during the cool weather and the pool is nice and warm. The only downside was that it had rained quite a bit that day and there was thunder and lightening, so they had to close the pool as a safety precaution until the storm passed. But it did reopen.
The beds were so comfortable that I was going to check and see what kind of mattress they used, but I forgot. Very quiet during the night too. Water pressure in the showers was really good considering everyone is using water efficient shower heads these days.
Finally, the breakfast. This is INCLUDED in the price of the room. It is a FULL BREAKFAST...biscuits and gravy, eggs (with crumbled bacon, cheese and salsa on the side), sausage, french toast, made to order waffles, cereal, doughnuts, bagels, fruit, juices, coffee, milk. That alone saved us at lest $25 - $30 if we had gone out to breakfast with the kids.
If you want a great room, with comfortable beds, super friendly staff and LOTS of extras (comp mixed drinks/beer, comp soft drinks and popcorn, full breakfast in the morning) then this is the place for you. If you want less, then go somewhere else.
I will seek out Drury Inn's in our future travels. A GREAT VALUE DURING A TIME WHEN EVERYONE IS TRYING TO CUT BACK. THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!

• Liked — It was a great value!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Hobe Sound, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We booked directly thru Drury's website for a three day stay this June to attend a family reunion. We selected drury's because the family wanted all to stay together. Our daily rate was about or near the highest of all hotels in the area. Upon arrival, we found the pool and hot tub, virtually unusable-kid league teams were staying at the inn-overrunning the pool-no supervision or restriction at all hours-towels never replenished; the hot tub was half filled, and set at low, cold temps (80 at most); our bed and pillows were soft and saggy causing us both back problems. I complained after first day; waited (in vain) for remedies the second and finally gave up & transferred to a nearby Fairfield In which at $30 less per night had new, firm bed & pillows, clean pool & plenty towels, quiet surroundings and best of all, a 104 hot tub to cure the pain form Drury's nightmare.
I'll stick with a Marriott run hotel next time and every time; we travel a lot and this time was a big mistake!

Stayed June 2008
3 Thank Pickbent
Roscoe, Illinois
Reviewed April 14, 2008

This hotel was a pretty good experiance. The rooms were clean and the remainder of the hotel appeared in the same condition. One thing that stood out was the staff was very friendly. Everyone greeted us with a smile and hello. We arrived a little before check-in and our room was ready. They had popcorn and soft drinks avaiable but we were going to meet our son for wings at Wild Wings about 1-2 blocks away for a light lunch so we passed. We returned a little later and enjoyed a few cocktails in the lobby before heading off to the pool and jucuzzi for about 1 hr. They allow 3 per guest per evening and is a very nice perk. Drinks were very weak but what can you expect. We went out for dinner and returned about 10pm. The one thing I really like is the security in this hotel. When they say the lock the outside doors they REALLY DO. You need your key to get in any exterior door. Very impressive. Many hotels say this and never follow through. OK..besides all of that the ONE THING I DID NOT LIKE WAS....we had a room on the east side and in the corner. Now for those of you who have never been to this area BEWARE...the Drury Inn is located by THE BUSIEST intersection in Champaign. The traffic noise in the early morning hours litterally woke me up in the morning.....The trucks braking, loud muffler sounds echoed...If you book a room here, make sure to book on the East side and hopeully you won't have that issue. I enjoyed my stay as the room was clean BUT I doubt if I will ever stay at this particular location again. Also, we checked out at 10:45am ( check out is 11am) and I felt that we were being rushed. The cleaning people were next door and made us VERY well aware that they were there. It's a good thing I didn't need the extra sleep as I would not have gotten it.

Stayed April 2008
Indiana
Reviewed October 25, 2007

Unbelievable!! This place is so nice, staff so amazingingly nice and competent. This is our new choice for hotels! We will search out a Drury Inn over the "other 4 and 5 star hotels" everytime we travel. This was clean, (an understatement I might add), safe, quiet, very, very nice. The breakfast in the morning was not your doughnut and coffee but a FULL service Breakfast Buffet with everything from bisquits and gravy to made to order Waffles! Wonderful, wonderful experience. Wonderful hotel in a wonderful location. Cannot say enough good things about this place. For all you parents out college shopping, STAY HERE!!! It might even remind your student/child what a "clean room" is supposed to look like! You will be very plesantly surprised!

• Liked — Cleanliness!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed June 3, 2007

This was my first time staying at a Drury hotel and I will definitely be a returning customer. It is one of the cleanest (if not THE cleanest) hotel room I have ever stayed in. I literally stopped in my tracks upon entering the bathroom because I could not believe how sparkling clean it was. That is so rare for a hotel chain these days. The rooms have unusual decor, reminding me of Kentucky for some reason. It wasn't unpleasant, just midwestern, I guess. The rooms have mini fridges and microwaves and the mattresses & pillows are soft and very comfy. The rooms must be well insulated because I could not hear anything outside or my neighbors, despite the hotel being near capacity. Free hot breakfast is provided which included eggs, sausage, make-your-own-waffles, muffins, cereal, yogurt, coffee, and assorted juices. A free 1 hour long distance phone call is included with each room. I believe that there is also free internet access and a computer w/ internet is provided in the lobby.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JWashingtonDC
Reviewed November 2, 2005

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful, answering all of our questions.
The room was very clean and pleasant. Free high speed internet was nice.
Great location - close to the highway as well as downtown Champaign.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2004, traveled on business