“Diamond in the ruff”

Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Diamond in the ruff”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was traveling through with my mom. We needed a room with handicap access. The staff was superb. The willingness to go above and beyond to help and the cleanliness of the facility was a pleasant surprise. The beds where the most comfortable I have ever slept in at a hotel, room was spotless, and the accommodations in the room for my mom were fantastic. The refreshments and snack offered at night was a nice touch and the breakfast in the morning was hot, great choices, and friendly staff. Anyone needing a place to stay in the area I strongly encourage you to stay here. Price was great but what you got over all far exceeded expectations.

Room Tip: Handicap rooms are fantastic if traveling with someone that needs help getting around. Room was more...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The hotel is easy to access to, and surrounded by many shops, fast foods, restaurants, supermarkets… The hotel is clean (except in the gap between the ac/heater unit and the wall, where they were spider webs and floor uncarpeted), otherwise the hotel appears new. The room however is small, not much seating area and not enough space. The fridge was noisy and kept waking me up, the ac/heat unit is rather loud too. They could have made an effort and renovate the lobby bathroom (which was neglected) to match the rest of the hotel. Breakfast is included as well as light dinner/snack and drink in the evening before 7 PM, which is a plus. The staff are courteous and professional, I liked the open, high ceiling lobby/breakfast area. Overall, a decent stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Roodhouse
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed here because we get a reduced rate thru our business. Our room was right next to the elevator which I thought would be a problem but was not. The problem was being next to the maid's closet. Carts were being rolled out before 7 a.m. The evening reception was ok. Beer was not cold though. People,were flocking to eat though there was not much I was interested in-hit dogs, Mac n cheese. Chicken strips. We opted to go out for dinner instead. To us the room felt in need of an update. Dark industrial carpet just had a dirty vino be to me. The outside wall of our room was the brick wall of the building. My husband asked "do u think that ever gets cleaned?" Not sure how they would?? Bathroom was weird-toilet wad set on an angled wall which made it a weird set up. Wall tiles seemed old and outdated. Seemed to be a lot of business people that stay here I guess I am spoiled because we generally stay at nicer hotels. It was adequate but definitely not somewhere I'd want to stay on a regular basis. Staff was quick to respond when TV in our rm wasn't working. Iron in room was unusable cuz it was covered in black gunk which got on my pants but did come off. Staff notified at checkout. Was told our bill would be emailed, never received it.

Room Tip: Request room away from maid's closet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Champaign, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Drury Inn & Suites Champaign. It is through input such as yours that we have the opportunity to review, evaluate and improve our product and services. Please accept our apologies concerning the noise form our housekeepers and the inconvenience of an unusable iron in your room. We want to always exceed our guests' expectations.

Thank you again for your time and please don’t hesitate to contact me personally at the hotel if I can be of any assistance to you.

Nick N.
Winchester, Illinois
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Visit was nice rates are good. Food was good. Both breakfast and (light snack/dinner(alot of stuff)) Staff was friendly. Next to a lot of shopping. I thought the room was small and odd shaped in vanity bathroom area. Bed was comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I have stayed in Champaign probably 20 nights since 2007 for business and family, this was the first time I have ended up with the Drury using the 'name your own price' at 3 Stars. For $78 bucks total I received a double queen. Here are my pros and cons --

Pros -- Close to the interstate (both 57/74), close to many eateries and grocery stores
clean room
friendly staff
free internet
free breakfast (used)
free dinner (not used)
decent price for a Saturday night if this had been like my usual Drury Experience

Cons -- This isn't a good Priceline hotel, you don't get treated as 'normal paying guests' do. When we arrived we were told no upgrades were available with or without paying more. The Holiday Inn in Urbana often upgrades for free when rooms are available but I was told that their brand doesn't do this for Priceline users, even if I wanted to pay more. No big deal really, I'll just avoid the stars associated with this brand when I name-my-own-price.

Very loud neighbors. As we were ready to go to sleep the people (and I use that word lightly, more like snarling ally cats) next to me started a domestic fight that would make Jerry Springer blush. After kids had 30 minutes of a anthropological lesson in the culture-of-the-dammed we got dressed and we headed to the front desk to ask for a new room. They had stuck us in the loud wing of the hotel, first floor. Of course, by this time, there were 'only two rooms left in the hotel' and we just moved one room south of the last one, but at least providing buffer from the chemical couple but putting us next to the 7:30 a.m. barking dog owners.

I will not be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: This isn't a good Priceline hotel, you don't get treated as 'normal paying guests' d...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank devinmiller
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Champaign, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
We very much appreciate your repeated patronage of the Drury Inn & Suites Champaign over the past seven years. As a family owned and operated hotel chain, we greatly value all of our guests, and are always thrilled to have guests who stay with us on such a frequent basis. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of and enjoyed several of the free amenities that we extend to our guests. That being said, I am sorry to hear that you had a less than desirable experience during your last stay with us.

On the evening in question, our occupancy was so high that, unfortunately, we did not have a vacancy in an upgraded room option, nor did we have many choices for alternative rooms when you experienced the issues with your neighboring rooms. We do love to take care of our guests and are happy to do whatever is in our power to make your stay with us more pleasant. Your experience and feedback will aid us in our endeavor to continually improve the experience of our guests.

I hope you will give us another chance to serve your lodging needs, and I hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you the next time you visit the Champaign area.

Nick Nelson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I like coming to the Drury Inn when I am in Champaign. The people are friendly and don't mind having a little conversation with a traveler when they are checking in or just near the front desk. The free breakfast and dinner are a bonus, especially if I were traveling with family. I found the decor updated and the rooms comfortable and roomy. The fitness center was well-stocked. I enjoyed my stay very much.

Room Tip: I had room 407 and we had a big wind storm which caused my window to howl in the evening. I wear ea...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Pine Knot, Kentucky
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

The staff is awesome, friendly and helpful. Rooms are comfortable and quiet. Very comfortable beds with plenty of pillows.

The hot breakfast offered a nice variety The evening food is plenty for a light meal. With these offerings available it's an all round great deal.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple