“Compliments on the BBQ and Service ”

Black Dog Smoke & Ale House
Ranked #2 of 308 Restaurants in Champaign
Reviewed September 12, 2019 via mobile

Southern boy here who enjoys great bbq on a regular basins. Looked over the options in Champaign and decided to give the Black Dog a shot. Showed up Wednesday nite around 730 (not wise) and wrote my name on the flip chart for seating. Place was packed with some big groups waiting to get in, but the bar opened up and I got seated in about 15 minutes. Count me lucky.

I’m an old fashion fan so I tried the house special, which uses brown sugar simple syrup instead of the standard. It was decent, but the first was a little sweet and the second was splashed with club soda, and I prefer my fruit slightly muddled. Ok though.

I got a y’all rack of pork and have to say that the pit master is an artisan. They were exceptionally tender and well seasoned - maybe a tad too much salt, which becomes evident when they cool down. The sauce selection is large but the Texas and mustard in the medium range were good. Quite spicy, so I wouldn’t recommend going hot.

I think this a beautiful little joint and would love to have one down south. One thing I wish they’d do is to add some craft beers from other regions - maybe come with with a sister brewery in the south and add a couple high gravities that my midwestern friend might enjoy tasting.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (266)

Reviewed September 4, 2019 via mobile

Love this place! Never a bad meal! Drawback... parking isn’t the best and only because everybody wants to be there!

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

Black Dog never fails to serve the best food. If you love BBQ, this is your place. Go early if you can. Serve us always good as well,

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019

We eat here often and have never been disappointed. I particularly like the pulled chicken or smoked salmon sandwich. My son says the pulled pork is the best. We all agree that the sweet potato fries are great. You can choose from a variety of sauces, too.
It's also a fun atmosphere. You sign yourself in on a roll of butcher paper. They call out across the restaurant when a menu item is running low. The wait staff are always friendly in spite of being quite busy.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed August 24, 2019 via mobile

Throughly enjoyed our experience from the start! The waitress was great and food was delicious. We'll be back!

Date of visit: August 2019