“V.G. Restaurant; check it out”
Review of Escobar's Restaurant - CLOSED

Escobar's Restaurant
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stopped overnight in Champaign/Urbana/Savoy while on a road trip. Knew nothing about the area so I checked TripAdvisor site for restaurant advice. Found Escobar's listed; I agree with previous critiques that it really is a Very Good place for dinner. 'nuff said.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I really enjoyed my meal here. The service was friendly and timely and the food ranged from excellent to good. Their red sangria was a bit to alcohlic for my taste, but that is strictly a personal preference. The bread brought to the table was very good and I particularly enjoyed the slightly sweet dark bread. I had their roasted duck for the entree and it was excellent. The duck medallions were cooked perfectly and the fig sauce complemented them nicely. The vegetables (green beans and carrots) were cooked perfectly (slightly crisp). The squash puree went well with the plantain chips. For dessert I had gelato (Aztec Chocolate and Mexican Cinnamon). The flavors were wonderful although I found the texture a bit odd (but not unpleasant). I also had one of their Latin Lattes which was quite good. Escobar's calls its cuisine Nuevo Latino which fits the food perfectly. I definitely recommend eating here.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Escobar's is not far off I74, and turned out to be a great choice for us after hours on the road. Don't be fooled by the neighborhood or the exterior: the interior is clean and well-decorated. Our waitstaff was excellent - they let us in 15 minutes early because our watches were still on EDT! As usual, I also bombarded them with my standard gluten-free questions and they were right on track with suggestions. We would definitely return!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

It is a small restaurant with a nice variety on the menu. I had broiled fish with chili-honey sauce, fried rice and veggies. Everything was cooked perfectly and presentation was good. Good selection of beer and other drinks on the menu as well. Would certainly recommend to anyone!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Celebrated a friend's birthday with appetizers and salad. Had the asparagus in phyllo, duck confit taquitos, and fried calamari. The calamari was excellent...big meaty pieces cooked perfectly with a nice dip. Asparagus was great. too. The duck taquito was good, but could have been pulled pork for all I could taste...not enough duck in the roll to get good duck flavor. The salads were just that...nice fresh salad. Cocktails were good..introduced my friend to Bloody Marias. Service was attentive, atmosphere very nice. I will go back next time for entrees.