“Not the old Minnici's”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My son and I loved the "old" Minnici's at 1st and Springfield. Sure, it was a little shabby, unglamourous, but the food and service were always excellent. Then the restaurant moved to "rich people land" at the Crossing in SW Champaign, and they've gone downhill ever since. Some things are good -- the ambiance, lighting, and general openness of the floor plan compared to the old place. It all looks very fresh and inviting. But the menu has changed, and unfortunately, so has the service. The formerly gooey pizza bianco is a dried up nondescript cardboard dish on flatbread. I brought a companion to try my favorite dish, the pork chop campangola, which at the old restaurant was a triumph of simplicity, a pork chop grilled to perfection, doused in a bit of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon and some spices. Fast forward to the new Minnici's -- a pork chop with no perceptible grill flavor, in fact no flavor at all except lemon juice. It was acidic and barely edible. I kept having to pour olive oil on it to soften the flavor.
Then there was the service: we were seated quickly on a Wed. evening (1/2 off house wine on Wed.) but our waitress was slow to appear. So slow, that another couple was seated after we were but their waitress appeared way before ours did. Incensed, I complained to the hostess. A short while later our waitress appeared, apologetic and ready to please us. Unfortunately, when I asked for no carrots with my vegetables she brought me carrots, and she was slow to clear our dinner plates (opting to clear the table next to us instead), and slow to bring the bill. I think this place is both trying too hard for a more haute cuisine and not trying hard enough for good service. If you do go, ask for the chocolate cake, not listed on the printed menu, it is divine.

1  Thank tbird169

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Very good service and friendly staff. I had heard that a girl at the bar can make a great Manhattan and I could not agree more. I also had the new cannoli for dessert and it was delicious!

Justin J, Manager at Minneci's Ristorante at The Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Greeting Chris M:
We here at Minneci's At the Crossing are thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience at your last visit to our restaurant. We want thank you for your positive feedback and reinforcement, and we hope that we continue to provide you with our excellent standard of food and service each time you come in to dine with us. We are also extremely pleased our bartender on the night you came in took such good care of you. We really value the amazing service our team brings to the floor and it's always good to read what a wonderful job they are doing :)
We look forward to seeing your on your next visit. And if you ever need any assistance, please feel free to contact myself personally.

Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We went back here last evening for dinner. Last time we tried the soup and salad dinner and were not going to attempt that again.

Big difference: their service has really improved. There was a friendly host showing us to the table and the waiter was very good this time, nothing half hearted about it.

This time we tried the margherita pizza and death by chocolate for dessert, and both were good. The pizzas are advertised as thin crust but looked more like regular crust to me. This isn't a problem for me personally but will be for many. It was not great pizza, but it was good. The dbc was flour less chocolate cake, almost mousse like, and just the perfect amount of bitter. It was a big portion.

Would I go back to try the pastas? I doubt it. While my second visit is certainly better than the first, I doubt this will become my go to place for Italian food in Urbana-champaign.

Greeting ice0123:
I am Justin, the Front of House Manager for Minneci's At the Crossing. I just recently took over this position and wanted to extend an apology for your mediocre experience at our new location. With a company that is trying to grow, changes must be made, and I am glad to read that you felt an improvement in our service. We want to prove to you that the standard of excellent food and service are still very much a part of the Minneci's restaurant. I do hope that you will reconsider giving our pasta dishes a chance, as they truly are some marvelously delicious cuisines.
Please feel free to email me anytime at FOH.Minnecis@gmail.com if you have any questions or concerns and I would be more than happy to make arrangements with you.
Thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Atmosphere was great, service was excellent, and the food was delicious!Had a party of thirty and I couldn't be more satisfied on how the evening was handled. The owner, Robert was very personable and attentive. I would recommend for any type of occasion.

Greeting cufoods:
We here at Minneci's At the Crossing are thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience at your last visit to our restaurant. We want thank you for your positive feedback and reinforcment, and we hope that we continue to provide you with our excellent standard of food and service each time you come in to dine with us. We are also extremely pleased that we were able to take care of your larger party and that everyone enjoyed themselves. That is our main goal here :)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Lunch at Minneci's at the Crossing in Champaign, Illinois is always a treat. The food is excellent and it is always a good meal. Dinners are good also. Our waitress, Nelli G., was helpful and always seemed to show up at the right time.

Greeting Farquasi:
We here at Minneci's At the Crossing are thrilled that you had a wonderful experience at your recent visit to our restaurant. We want to thank you for your positive feedback and reinforcement. We are very proud of Nelli and her amazing serving skills. We hope that we provide you with our excellent standard of food and service each time you come to dine with us.
We look forward to your next visit. And if you are ever in need of any assistance, please feel free to contact myself personally.
Have a wonderful day!