“There are lots of other Chinese restaurants in town. Go to one of them instead.”
Review of Shanghai 1938

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed July 4, 2011

When we arrived, we were the first of what ended up being a group of 10, and there were no other customers. A middle aged woman eventually told us to sit at the largest table in the place, which seated 9 (we pulled up an extra chair on our own). We eventually received menus. When our waters arrived, my husband's had a dead bug floating in it. We asked for another one. She was mildly apologetic, but less than I would have hoped for given the circumstances. When she asked about how bills should be split, I said she could do individual checks if that was simplest. She barked back that she knew there were couples in the group, so we should just tell her who was together. That'll teach me to try to make things easier for her. The portions are reasonable, and the food isn't bad. I enjoyed my sweet & sour chicken, and the fried rice portion, though small, was good. The egg roll was definitely the most impressive part of the meal.
What made it even worse was the two small children running around the restaurant. They appeared to be the children of the less than friendly middle aged woman, and they were rather out of control. There were drawings by the children on the doors to the restrooms that were.... shall we say questionable in their content. It wasn't something I cared to see when I was going to go back to my meal after visiting the restroom. The older child attempted to seat some guests when they arrived and there were no adults in the dining area. It didn't go well.
All in all, I was highly unimpressed for the price. Next time, I'll go to another Chinese restaurant in town. Green Jade is 1/2 the price and the food is just as good.

• Visited July 2011

Urbana, Illinois
“Very good food for a good price”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My experience at Shanghai 1938 was very nice. It has a relaxed atmosphere, but nice. We were greeted upon entering the restaurant and sat ourselves. The service was good and our server was very polite. The menu was very large and had lots of choices including an authentic Chinese menu with dishes not available at most places. My favorite which I had never tried was the Szechuan Wonton. It was a nice change from the typical chinese appetizers. I ordered the Egg Foo Young which was reasonably priced and a very large dish including 3 patties and great sauce. My friend had the steamed shrimp with snow peas from the health food menu. It was a good sized portion and came with the sauce on the side. Overall it was a great experience and I hope to get back soon.

Visited April 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“The food was nasty.”
Reviewed April 5, 2011

The food tasted like it was made in 1938. It was disgusting and barely edible. We ordered it for delivery and it came after about an hour-and-a-half. My friend and I were starving and were shocked to find out that they hadn't included any chopsticks or plastic silverware with our order (we specified that this guy was delivering to a library). I called the delivery guy and he was beyond rude and told me there was nothing he could do. So I ate with my hands.... until I decided it wasn't even worth it. Don't get the fried rice. It tastes the way burning electronics smell.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank Mericks3
“Great service and atmosphere, try the...”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Great service and atmosphere, try the sizzling rice soup and firey chicken. Fair prices.

Illinois
“Great Healthy Yummy Chinese”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

This evening we had an outstanding meal at Shanghai 1938! The husband and wife team provide excellent healthy food and quality customer service. The tofu with vegatables and brown sause was outstanding and the Moo Shu Pork was filled with great pork and fresh vegetable served with a yummy plum sause. The place was very clean. We definatley plan to return in the very near future, A hidden treat in SW Champaign1