“Fantastic”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
“Fantastic”
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Rainbow Garden is the best Chinese restaurant near the campus (UIUC) and probably one of the best Chinese restaurants I've been to anywhere. Food and decor are priority number 1, the food was excellent and the decor was good. I really don't see what one of the other decors meant by "decor has gone downhill," the walls are red/festive, the ambiance is just right, there's an abundance of Chinese portraits and trinkets, and the (bench) seating is good. That being said, the service was just what I would expect from any heavily dine-in restaurant. The waiter explained what went into the dishes we were looking at, refilled our water often, and asked us if we needed more rice when he saw we were running out. I was lucky to get there right before dinner rush because the place quickly filled up. I'm not sure if they accept reservations, but if there are and you're coming late on a weekend night, I would recommend making one just in case.

I went with a friend for dinner on February 5, 2011 (a Saturday night), and we shared sesame chicken and sizzling beef. Those two dishes are extremely good by any standards, so if you haven't been there yet and are considering it, go there and order them (if you're walking there from campus though, expect a hard time getting there during the winter because the sidewalks in that part of town aren't cleared often). The sesame chicken isn't the typical, in-chunks oversweet/overfried/overbattered Amercanized type, it's a lightly fried breast cut lengthwise and down the middle with just the right amount of tangy sauce and a lot of sesame seeds. The sizzling beef was a little spicy, and when it was brought to the table, it was making a sizzling/crackling sound and steam was coming out of it. It is very tender, a little spicy, and is mixed with carrots, peapods, etc...With those 2 dishes and 15% tip (we just had water for drinks by the way), the total was $22.66, very worth it. Lunch is, of course, cheaper and unlike dinner it doesn't just come with rice, but also an eggroll and soup. That was a good dinner and I will definitely be coming back.

• Visited February 2011

• Korean first
Champaign, Illinois
“Celery for bok choy? What were they thinking?”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

The broccoli in garlic sauce would have been good except the broccoli looked and tasted over a week old. The Three Cup chicken wasn't bad, if you are prepared for the small bones. The boiled Szechwan beef with fresh bok choy unfortunately was comprised mostly of celery. Potstickers were good, we've had better eggrolls.

1 Thank tovebird69
champaign
“You can do better for Chinese in CU”
Reviewed December 25, 2008

We've lived in Champaign Urbana for 11 years and this current incarnation of Rainbow Garden is very mediocre. Since the recent owners have taken over, the decor has improved tremendously which adds to the dining experience -- but the food has become average at best.

The traditional Chinese dishes which use to be available have disappeared and a handful of (awful) Korean dishes or Korean versions of the Chinese dishes have taken their place.

The service could also be better. The host/hostess (owner) is usually polite, however, the wait staff just doesn't want to be there.

2 Thank dereklee1b
icandriveucrzy
“Great Food, Great price”
Reviewed December 13, 2008

I first ordered take out from here and found it to be amazing so I decided to go in for dinner on a Friday night. The restaurant is beautiful, well decorated and cozy. The service was beyond amazing, everything was served quickly and I never had to ask for a refill because one of the waiters was already there to refill me. The food was delicious and fresh. I've tried many Asian places in this town and this is very exceptional. Best of all the food is cheap! I was very pleasantly surprised when I got the bill. I would recommend this place to anyone, especially for a date night. The setting is romantic. Definitely try it out!

Champaign, Illinois
“Best Chinese Food In Champaign-Urbana”
Reviewed October 10, 2008

We have had Chinese food in restaurants around the country, and find the food, atmosphere, and service at Rainbow Garden to be among the best we have experienced. For those looking for a Chinese fast food buffet, you will be disappointed, as this is fine dining at its best . This elegantly decorated restaurant offers the most authentic Chinese cuisine, including Mandarin, Cantonese, Szchewan, and Chinese homestyle. While carry-out and delivery services are also offered, the beautifully decorated dining room provides the perfect backdrop for any meal.

3 Thank LivingQuiteWell