“Not great”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My kids like coming here because they can choose what they get on their pasta. I cringe the whole time because the place is dirty, it even smells dirty. It may be good for coffee but I don't plan on going back.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I are in the process of trying different restaurants in our temporary home of Champaign, and since I love Italian food, this looked promising. I had the Fettuccini Chicken Alfred and my husband had the Fettuccini Orleans. It was a little confusing when you walked in, no one bothered to explain the different menus, and we stood around for a minute or two wondering what the story was. Finally, we watched another couple who came in behind us, marched up and placed their order. OK -- grab a sheet and start writing . . .

We placed our order and the cashier scurried away, so we went to a table at sat down (mix of regular tables and high tops).. Table was somewhat sticky -- cheap wood tables, I'm sure they were probably clean, but the finish has deteriorated to the point where the finish is sticky no matter how it's cleaned. After a few minutes, we realized that there was no waitstaff, and I wandered back to see what was going on.There was a small self-serve cutlery stand -- ok. Grabbed cutlery, and then realized that people were coming up to the window and grabbing food and returning to their tables. Oh, ok. So I wait. Finally, I see what I think is our order being fixed. Pre-cooked pasta from a bin (hmm), sauce dished out of a vat, tossed with some foodstuff -- voila. I had alfredo, that came out of a vat -- the "homemade cajun alfredo" was a mix of marinara and alfredo with a shake of some cajun seasoning.

Plates were then placed on a shelf with the sales ticket. Before I could make my way to the shelf, a couple of people came by and examined it, picked up the sales slip, then put it back. One woman was sneezing, wiped her nose with the back of hand, and then reached for the plate. I stopped her just in time -- "I think that's mine, please" -- but she insisted on reaching over it to examine the sales slip and then agreed that it wasn't hers. Ugh. I realize this seems minor, and that probably worse goes on in many kitchens, but -- ugh.

The pasta was pretty tasteless -- not fresh, by any means -- and when my husband and I sampled each other's food, there wasn't a lot of difference except for a bit of cajun on his. The shrimp in his dish were frozen, overcooked and mushy.

We haven't been back. I can see where the prices might be attractive to the legions of college kids in the area, but at this point in my life, I don't have to put up with indifferent food.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Personalizable Menu.
Impressed by their menu that allows you to customize everything.
Had the Pick Two (Pizza and Salad).
Awesome price for the customized food ordering.
Also a wide selection of iced tea available.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

A bunch of girls get together about every other month for a shopping trip and lunch we have tried multiple eateries in the area to try and accomodate all of the tastes. Za's has a good variety at a good price and other than the wait for food at the counter because most of the time they don't say your name loud enough to hear it we had a great time.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

My daughter and I found this wonderful resturant on a shopping trip to Champaign. It is right across the street from my favorite department store Macy's. and is quite unique.
When you come in the door there are paper menu's that are catergorized into pizza, salads, soups,and combos. You check what you want to buy on the menu, proceed to the cashier and wait for your order. When your name is called you pick up your food and find a seat. We had the best Chedder-Brocolli Soup, Philly and Chicken Carbona, ( or something like that) sandwiches toasted and cheezy. Wow. it was good, and the service was quick and easy. The prices are really reasonable also. I think every mother-daughter should have a get away shopping day and do lunch at Za's. If you dine there, you will have even more money to shop at the mall and that's a good thing.