All reviews fire pit basketball court front desk dishwashing soap pool looked nice baseball team potato salad friendly and accommodating staff outdoor patio recumbent bike large bathroom walking distance to campus in town kids loved the pool extended stay hotel marriott properties sitting area
Reviewed June 29, 2018

DO NOT stay at this hotel. They screwed me over so bad, and they admit to it, but can't get their act together to fix it. I came in super late- I knew I would so i called ahead so they wouldn't cancel my reservation and call it a no show- so what happened? They cancelled it and called it a no show. When i arrived they insisted that they couldn't then use that reservation and had to book a new one. I knew it was wrong so I called Marriott directly the next day. I was assured by both the hotel and Marriott I wouldn't be charged...but guess what- I was. So I called the hotel when the charge went on my card. They admitted the error and said they would credit me ASAP. Guess what they did- they charged me AGAIN- the person who did the "credit" did it wrong. So I call again- only to have a lady who says she was trying to credit my account but the bank wouldn't let her. I called the bank who said they NEVER refuse a credit, so evidently she was trying to charge me again. I never got the full credit back. They eventually credited some, but I ended up with 74% of the original charge not credited back- why would they even credit such weird amounts. They definitely don't know how to do their business correctly and they definitely don't know customer service becuase I spent hours on the phone trying to resolve this and have just given up because my time is worth more than the balance due to me. So anyways, I would never stay here again, because not only do they not know how to use their merchant services machine, they dont' know how to make things right with a customer!

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled solo
3  Thank GymMom06
Reviewed June 19, 2018 via mobile

Staff were outstanding friendly and helpful. For some strange reason, [money savings on utilities(?)] There was absolutely no AC in the corridors or hallways, literally 90+ degrees.... Staff insisted that the temperatures were set to 78 degrees but also admitted that management or ownership was always looking to save money wherever they could. The room was as comfortable as expected for an RIbut 5e bathroom needed some serious attn. The seams and grout lines in and out of the shower stall were stained black and bright orange from mold/mildew. Housekeeping either needs better instruction or appropriate tools or chemicals to get the room clean. Would have to think twice about staying here again.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
1  Thank LifetimePlatinum
Tom F, General Manager at Residence Inn Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Champaign. I was pleased to read the team took good care of you. I appreciate the feedback regarding your room cleanliness, that is very concerning to hear. Please know I will be reviewing with the team and addressing the room in which you stayed. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should your travels return you to the Champaign area. Cleanliness issues are in no way acceptable and I want to provide the type of cleanliness you've come to expect and deserve with our Marriott properties. Thank you again for sharing and I hope to be your hotel of choice once again.
Warm Regards,
Sandy O.

Reviewed June 5, 2018

AVOID THIS ONE. My experience of the reception service was awful... I wanted to extend my booking for another night, and I was told by the duty manager Britney, that hotel was full. Yet my business travel agent managed to book another night. when I enquired again at reception, I was told that the booking would not be honoured because they were full. I checked again with my business travel agent, and they dealt with Britney and managed to 'secure' it.

I then asked at reception to keep the same room, as it was the same room typed booked, I was told I would have to check out and check back in again and the room could not be guaranteed. As its business travel I don't have the luxury of time nor the availability to do that.

Its a common service for a hotel to extend a booking, and try to keep the guest in the same room as a convenience. Not Here, not by Britney's service levels. I eventually asked to speak to someone else as I clearly had a service issue with Britney.

The Regional Manager discussed my concerns with me, looked into the situation, and later called me to assure the room check in and check out would be resolved by his overnight staff. FFS, could have been easily resolved, avoiding a lot of extra effort by a lot of other people, if the appropriate booking extension was done in the first place.

Room Tip: Most if not all rooms are like small apartments, with a kitchenette couch/sofa in addition to the bedroom and en suite.
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
2  Thank U3637TLalexl
Reviewed May 17, 2018

We were there this past weekend for the U of I graduation. We’ve stayed at this hotel many times over the past couple of years and have never been treated rudely like this time. We arrived early Saturday afternoon and had requested an early check-in using the Marriott app. We are frequent Marriott customers, Elite status, and have come to expect an overall friendly experience, in addition to all the other things Marriott has to offer. However, this was not the case on Saturday. As we walked into the hotel, the first thing we heard from Daisha at the front desk was “We are sold out, there are no rooms!”. Not a welcome, hello, good afternoon, nothing. We proceeded to tell her that we had a reservation and had requested early check in. We were again told that there were no rooms. No apologies for the inconvenience, we actually felt like we were bothering her by asking for a room. The hotel was not crowded and there was no line at the front desk. She never asked our name or looked up our reservation. She was very rude. We were told to come check back at 3:00 p.m. – check-in time.

When we got back to the car we were so bothered about what we just went through that we decided to go back in again and have Daisha look up our reservation. We were concerned that perhaps the hotel was over-sold and we would not have a room at all. We were left with a really bad feeling about the whole situation. She did look up our reservation and confirmed that she saw it, but again very few words from her and no pleasant greeting. Actually, no greeting at all. We requested she call us when it was ready and gave her our phone number. We never heard back from her so we periodically called the hotel to check on the status; the whole afternoon concerned about where we would sleep that night, while trying to enjoy our child’s graduation.

After the graduation ceremony we called again and were told by Brittany that it was ready. We delayed dinner to go check-in; just to make sure there was a room for us. The rest of the weekend was fine, but I will tell you the only hotel employees that greeted us with a hello or a good morning were the cleaning staff in the hallway. This hotel needs to give their employees some training in customer service and how to treat their guests. A smile goes a long way – especially when you pay $389.00 plus tax for one night, in Champaign IL. I have never seen this at the other Marriott’s I have stayed at, including the one down the street. We will continue to be loyal Marriott customers but I will never make a reservation at this hotel again. Very disappointed, this was not up to Marriott’s standards!

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
5  Thank TravelGurlie123
Reviewed April 29, 2018

Don’t stay here. The trains went by, at least two of them,blasting their horns at 5:30 or so. I assume its common. Other than that, it’s your basic Resience Inn, as goo as any other. At 8:00 you coul still hear trains. There is a gig mall near here an numerous restaurants but...

Room Tip: Away from the railroad tracks!
Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
DanRust89, General Manager at Residence Inn Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2018

JBourne4,

I do apologize you did not rest well due to nearby noises. I do know there are some railroad tracks east of the hotel that run downtown but we typically do not hear of any of our guests mention this issue. I will look into your room to see if perhaps the windows need any adjustments. I understand how important a restful nights sleep can be, and I can imagine how annoying trains blowing their horns can be in the early morning. If you decide to stay with us again, perhaps we can ensure to book you a lower level room on the west side of the hotel. Thank you for staying.

DAN RUST