“Great food, so-so service!!”
Review of Papa Del's Pizza - CLOSED

Papa Del's Pizza
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Illinois
“Great food, so-so service!!”
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I have to say, I LOVE Papa Del's. I love that you can call ahead for your order if you are dining in. With an hour wait on pan pizzas this is a great option. Food is amazing and I can see why alumni will have this pizza shipped to them across the country.....BUT.....every time I go there I have an issue with service. I am not sure if the servers are inexperienced or just "in the weeds" everytime I go there. They are not very attentive and could use some training on customer service. Other than that this place is great.

2 Thank beeliever

• Korean first
Champaign, IL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A C-U Tradition”
Reviewed February 6, 2007

I have lived in C-U my entire life, and growing up Papa Del's was a rare treat. It is more expensive than your Dominos and Papa John's, but for good reason. Now that I control the finances, Papa Del's is a frequent spot for the family. We usually call ahead for carry-out, as I have seen it take up to an hour and a half to get your pizza. If you are in a hurry, head somewhere else, but if you want hands down the best pizza you have ever had, visit Papa Del's.
Side note: I am visiting a friend in NYC next week, and he has been begging me to bring frozen Papa Del's. Just thaw them and throw them in the oven. It's not delivery, it's Papa Del's...

1 Thank Illini_Shep
Bloomington, IL
“Best Pizza in downstate Illinois”
Reviewed October 29, 2006

I prefer the thin crust. I find their thich crust pizza too tomato-heavy and too bready, but the thin crust is AWESOME. Very cheesy, with a chewy crust that's rolled in crumbs or something. Honestly, it's the best pizza I've ever had, and even though I now live an hour away, we drive back whenever we can just for a pizza. I can understand why people would be underwhelmed if all they've tried is the deep dish, but I would heartily recommend the thin crust, especially with sausage.

Champaign, Illinois
“This is heaven!”
Reviewed June 18, 2006

If you like a deep dish pizza, Papa Del's is the best in downstate Illinois. The prep time is long, but it's worth it. It's huge, it's a bit messy, and it's damn good pizza. Unlike some deep dish pizzas, the crust doesn't overwhelm the taste buds. You really get a nice balance of the crust, cheese, sauce and toppings. (Their sauce is amazing.) If you order a large, plan on leftovers. Each piece is huge. I'm usually full after one slice but manage to 'choke down' another <grin>.

7 Thank Nietsloh