“Poor Hotel, No Maintance”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed March 24, 2010

nothing good about this hotel .worst country inn and suites i have ever stayed at .first room smells bad like smoke,computer chair is broken,go to the bath room in a strobe light ,bathroom light keeps flashing off and on , then we go down to the pool and the hottub is cold and only 1 or 2 jets work and the swimmong pool is colder

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank v213809
Hotelier09, Director of Hotel Operations at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2010

I am sorry to hear that you’re most recent stay with us was unsatisfactory. It is our mission to impress our guests and in your case we failed to do so.

After speaking with this guest by phone, we are pleased that they have accepted our offer of a free night stay at our property, to allow us to reinstore their faith in us. We apologize for any inconveniences.

We look forward to seeing this guest again in the near future.

Reviewed March 18, 2010

This was my first ever Business trip. I stayed at County Inn and Suites. Hotel was booked by my company. I admire the Hotel building. Location is nice and peacesful. I had great shopping experience as everything was so nearby - Best Buy, Circuit City, Meijer, Wall Mart, Market place, Kohl's.
Hotel was nice. Breakfast was superb. Little noisy on weekends but then I did not stay much in Hotel on weekends. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Wolud love to get another Business trip and a stay to Country Inn.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank VaibhavGupta
Hotelier09, Director of Hotel Operations at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2010

Thank you for sharing your most currrent Hotel experience at our Country Inn & Suites in Champaign, Illinois.

My staff and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Director og Hotel Operations
Hotelesis Group

Reviewed March 1, 2010

We enjoyed out stay during the last weekend of February. It was a good location just off of I-74 but far enough away that you couldn't hear the traffic. Check-in was quick and efficient and we helped ourself to a cookie from the plate in the lobby. Our room was quite big and the beds were comfortable. Even the pillows were nice quality. The room was clean and the shower head had good pressure. These are the things that will make us come back. The indoor pool, fitness center and included breakfast are nice pluses.

The only things we were disappointed in was the fact that the hot tub was out of order the night we stayed, there were lots of kids running through the halls at 10pm and then again at 11pm, there was no one manning the front desk when we checked out at 10:30am so we had to wait aournd for 5 minutes and our main complaint: the breakfast didn't have fried or scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage or hash browns. I would think most people would expect an included hot breakfast to have these things. At the very least you should have a type of egg available (sorry, hard boiled doesn't count) and either bacon, sausage or a potato. The morning we ate, there were pancakes and waffles, why both as they are essentially the same thing and the pancake spot in the warmer could have had eggs instead.

All in all, this is a very good hotel for Champaign and one we would stay in again. If it weren't for the few things we were disappointed in, it would have received an "Excellent" rating.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank epsharon
Hotelier09, Director of Hotel Operations at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2010

Thank you for your feedback about your most current stay at our Country Inn & Suites in Champaign, Illinois. It is our mission to provide quality service as well as a quality breakfast and in your case we did not live up to all of your expectations of us.

Unfortunately our Hot Tub heater went out earlier in the week. I apologize for that. I also agree with you about your comments with our breakfast menu on this date. I assure you that we will be reviewing our current breakfast menu and modifying it to include more hot item choices.

I want to thank you once again for bringing these issues to the forefront. Went hope to see you again in the near future.

Sincerely

Reviewed December 6, 2009

I was given the pleasure of visiting this wonderful place and stayed at the BEST hotel! I am a flight attendant and was selected to work on a flight that took us to Champaign where we had to spend the night and leave the next afternoon. When we checked in the thing that most impressed me initially was one of two people that were at the front desk, checking in the flight crew. When one agent (Lisa Gengelbach) began the check-in process, the other (Bryan Hardin) immediately jumped in to get us all checked in. He asked for my last name and immediately recognized that I had a reservation. That has never happened to me in this circumstance and it was so nice to know that the staff expected us and was prepared.

Secondly, the entire crew was exhausted and wanted to rest before venturing out for dinner. The hotel dining room was primarily for breakfast, so they suggested a variety of restaurants in the area. Lisa offered to shuttle us to wherever we wanted to go AND pick us up when we were finished with dinner. I'm sure the look on our faces was as if she was speaking a foreign language because every other hotel where we have stayed only offers shuttle service to the airport. We were so impressed with her kindness, eagerness and her willingness to basically chauffeur us to the location of our choice. Ultimately, we had alternative transportation, but we were so grateful for the suggestions from her and Bryan and the fact that she was so considerate.

Lastly, the rooms were the perfect accommodation. The bed was so comfortable and extra pillows and blankets were tucked into the closet, so you don't have to call and wait. If I had any neighbors, I didn't know they were there.

This visit was for business, but I will absolutely stay at this hotel again. As, I didn't get to see enough of Champaign during my short stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Agiant
Hotelier09, Director of Hotel Operations at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2010

Thank you for your recent response on your most current stay with us at our Country Inn & Suites in Champaign, Illinois.

I would like to personally thank you for Bryan and Lisa for your kind comments.

My staff and I take great pride in providing the best customer service in the Champaign area.

Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Hotelesis Management Group

Reviewed October 30, 2009

Recently returned from a week stay, where I found this hotel to be very charming. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Rooms were spacious and clean. To sum it up I have listed the pros and cons.
Pros: very clean, nice decor with a lounge and fireplace complete with large flat-screen on the wall. Besides the plate of free cookies, perhaps the best feature was how quiet it was during my stay. No running down the halls, slamming doors and talking I found to be bothersome at other hotels closer to the university. Free WI-FI in the rooms. Feather pillows (nice touch).
Cons: TV is a bit dated in the room and there is not a large variety of channels. Closet was a bit small (but I made do). The small refrigerator and microwave sat on the floor.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay. I was looking for a quiet relaxing hotel far enough away from the "college scene" to get a good night sleep and I found it here. If I travel to the area again, I will definitely be returning. By the way, the hotel is less than 10 min to the UoI.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank alexandria920
dblanzy, Director of Hotel Operations at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2009

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your comments about your most recent experience at the County Inn & Suites, Champaign, Illinois. I have used your comments as an example to my staff for a job well done. Feedback from our guest is important to help us fine tune our operations. We do appreciate your business, and look forward to accommodating you in the near future.

Reviewed October 23, 2009

My 17 year old son and I recently stay at the Country Inn and Suites in Champaign on a college visit to the University of Illinois. The hotel is fairly convenient to campus and the admissions office was easy to find.
We arrived around midnight and were happy to find attentive staff and fresh cookies in the cookie jar. Check in was a breeze, there was plenty of parking for the car and the room was easy to find. The lights, TV, and heat/air-conditioning all worked and the beds were super comfortable. Our only problem was that housekeeping had failed to replace the shampoo that my son was depending on for his morning shower.
The complimentary breakfast was excellent and included eggs, sausage, waffles and the usual pastries, bagels and cereal.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Hpmicks

I have reviewed your comments about your most recent stay at our Country Inn & Suites, Champaign, Illinois. I can understand how frustrated you must have felt, not having all of the ammenties that we offer in your guest room. It is our job to impress our guests, and in your case, we failed to do so. I have shared
your comments, and reviewed them with my housekeeping department about the importance of us living up to our guest expectations. I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We look forward to accommodating you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 20, 2009

I highly recommend this hotel. Our family of six (4 adults, 1 teen) stayed in two rooms for two nights. Our rooms were clean with oh-so comfortable, comforter-topped beds and well-equipped with microwave, tiny frig, and coffeemaker. The staff was friendly and helpful. The free continental breakfast offered the regular fare, plus hot waffles, french toast, and biscuits and gravy. Guests make their own waffles with an easy to work machine, but whenever anyone had trouble with it, the lady in charge was quick to offer to make one for them. Books to borrow in the breakfast room were a nice, homey touch as was the filled cookie jar on the check-in counter. The indoor pool area had a hot tub and convenient showers. Restrooms were nearby in the hall. There are a lot of hotels clustered together in this spot near a large mall and other shopping, but I can tell you that you will be well taken care of at this one. These people are really trying to make their guests feel at home and happy.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank CheriD

Thank you for using TripAdvisor to share your stay with people like yourself looking for hotel accommodations in Champaign, Illinois. I am pleased to hear that your stay was comfortable and an enjoyable one. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.