“We had An Excellent Stay--Only a Couple areas Could use Slight Improvement”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Excellent things about our stay: Room was great, noise was minimal to non-existent, our kids had a great time using the wonderful rocking chairs on the front "porch" outside the inn, we all enjoyed the pool, and the the generous, well-stocked, healthy and FREE buffet breakfast was excellent. The front desk and buffet staff were all very courteous, attentive, and helpful. Hotel pool and whirlpool were both great and very clean.

Small areas for improvement:

1. Breakfast buffet: Could use a second 4-slice toaster and a second waffle iron, as it slowed our breakfast having to wait in line or watch for these items to free up (each guest toasts their own toast and also pours the available pitcher of pre-prepared waffle batter into the waffle iron to make their own waffles). The lobby and the "front porch" were both charming, and they welcome visitors to "sit for a spell"--very nice touches.

2. Both men's and women's first-floor bathrooms (near the pool), in the summer, were literally about 50 degrees or colder. My husband inquired at the front desk about the extreme chill, and hotel staff said there was no way to control the AC in there, it was all part of the AC for the entire hotel. A shame, really, because our small children couldn't even go in there and us it, it was so cold, and I got a bad chill changing in there with a swimsuit on you can imagine how cold that was.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank kotzg
dblanzy, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2009

Thank you for your positive comments as well as your suggestions. We appreciate hearing from our guests regarding their stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed our swimming pool and breakfast. I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration and possibly make the necessary changes in our breakfast room. I hope when you’re in our area again you will stay with us again. Thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson

Reviewed June 13, 2009

Booked my room with hotwire and ... was thrown that in the face right at the front desk. --Hotwire customers get the worst rooms. And the fact that my family has some basic special needs (we have a one year old)... they don't really care. I mean com ON... All I need is a room with one bed away from the elevator and the vending machine... For the record: Hotwire and priceline let hotels pocket my money weeks, sometimes months in advance. Those reservations are also cancelation-proof, so SHUT UP, mister Hotel Manager and the very rude Ms. Front-Desk-Watchdog. I deserve a little respect for choosing to spend my money with you.

I won't stay here again and would discourage anyone from booking a three-star deal for a "hotel in Champaign." Shame on the Coutry Inns and Suites chain, too. I always thought of them as hospitable and nice.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank root9900
dblanzy, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2009

Thank you for taking time to visit Trip advisor and review our property. I apologize that Country Inn & Suites Champaign, IL did not live up to your expectations. We feel that all our guests are special no matter how they have booked a room to stay with us. We know that our guests have many options when it comes time to book a hotel room. Country Inn & Suites feels that all our rooms are exceptional. I feel bad that this reviewer had a bad experience while staying with us. It is our mission to make sure all our guests are satisfied. I hate to see any of my guests leave that have not had a wonderful experience. Champaign Country Inn & Suites does only offer our standard rooms with 2 queen sized beds through booking agents like Priceline and hotwire. As the General Manager of this property I would have and still would welcome the opportunity to discuss these concerns further with this guest. If you would like to contact me about this please do so at 217-355-6666 x 400. We appreciate all feedback from our guests and I do hope you will be in contact with me so I can try and change your opinion about our hotel.

Reviewed April 8, 2009

As a business traveler, I am in Champaign frequently. I have stayed at other nice hotels but I always come back to this one. The entire staff is incredible! They will do their very best to make sure everything is just right. The rooms are very clean. Much of the hotel has undergone updates. The business center offers internet access as well as a printer. For my money, I think this hotel is the best!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Illinois09
dblanzy, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2009

It is wonderful to hear about our guests experiences when they stay with us. Customer service is top priority at Country Inn & Suites Champaign. Our hotel opened 5 years ago in April 2004 and I am proud to say that we have a lot of original staff from that open date. Since that date we have gone through some wonderful renovations including new mattresses and duvets in all of our rooms in December 2008. You mentioned our business center in your review and that is one of the areas that were recently renovated. That is not the end, we have more to come. I hope you will continue to stay with us and witness the wonderful additions we will add to our hotel. Thank you for being our guest.

Deborah Blanzy,

Reviewed February 11, 2009

I stayed at Country Inn while I was going to see the Rascal Flatts Concert. The motel was clean and the staff was friendly. It was near many restaurants so we could get something to eat after the concert. I would choose this hotel if I am in Champaign again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank twilson3
dblanzy, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2009

Thank you for sharing the experience you had with Country Inn & Suites Champaign, IL. I am pleased your stay with us was pleasant. I feel that our hotel is located in a great area with many dining and shopping options. We have recently gone through some wonderful renovations at our property to include new mattresses. We have also upgraded all of our linen and towels. I hope you enjoyed the Rascal Flatts concert and will visit us again when your travels bring you to Champaign, IL.

Reviewed January 11, 2009

Parking lot was a sheet of ice upon arrival and departure. Our room was right across the hall from an ice machine which made an amazing amount of noise. The wireless signal was very spotty. The breakfast buffet had very few healthy items, including fruit. The jacuzzi and pool had way too much chlorine in it and were closed for maintenance on a Sunday morning!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank AriGold69
dblanzy, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2009

It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests regarding their stay with us. Please accept my apology for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. All the staff at Country Inn & Suites Champaign, IL want to be sure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay. Comments from our guests help us to fine tune our operations when they may have a not so enjoyable stay. I hope that you will accept our apology and will be our guest again when you’re in the Champaign, IL area.

Reviewed December 11, 2008

We were so pleased with our accomodations and the service we received during our week-long stay. The suite had plenty of room and made wheelchair navigation much easier than in most hotel rooms. The bathroom also had plenty of space for the wheelchair. There was a handheld shower faucet and the tub had a flip-down bath bench, items rarely found in handicapp accessible rooms these days.
The hotel lobby was nicely appointed and very comfortable, although it would have even more so had the fireplace been operationable during our stay. Although the food was standard hotel fare (biscuits & gravy, scrambled eggs & bacon, etc.), the breakfast room was very pretty and easily accessible even during the busiest period of the mornings.
All the hotel staff we encountered were respectful and professional; they treated us as though we were special guests and we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelbugwesternNC
lgengelb, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2008

Thank you for your kind review of our property. We do our best to make every guest feel as if they are special. We call it our “Friends Hosting Friends” culture at Country Inns & Suites. We look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in Champaign, IL.

Reviewed October 17, 2008

The location was good. It is near the mall, Meijers, a Starbucks with a dirve-thru, Wal-Mart, Target, and numerous restaurants. There never was that much traffic so driving to see relatives about 6 miles away in Urbana was not a big deal.

We paid $169+ tax to get what was billed as a jacuzzi suite. We really only wanted to guarantee we would have a king bed. Strangely, the giant jacuzzi tub was literally in the sleeping area about 4 feet from the bed.

Frankly, all of the prices at this hotel seemed steep for what it was.

The room was OK, but we could never get the temperature right because of the old time a/c-heat unit. There were dark brown stains on box spring on both sides of the bed. On the second day of our stay they did not leave any shampoo, but rather two conditioners. A mistake anyone could make in a hurry, so no biggie there.

The common areas are nice enough, but were constantly overrun with kids. The breakfast area was fine as were the pastries. Free breakast is a nice treat, but the selection was not that great. Pastries, waffles, and other sugary sweet things. The coffee was not hot which was disappointing, but there isa small coffee maker in the room.

I would recommend this hotel for families with kids (if you can get a decent room rate) because of the following: pool; free breakfast; rooms have a small kitchenette area with fridge; and it is close to lots of shopping and food.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple