“Campus favorite”

Maize Mexican Grill
Ranked #13 of 332 Restaurants in Champaign
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

If you like Mexican, this is the best bang for your buck. It's small so plan to take it to go or eat at a bar. Price is very reasonable for the quality of food

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stopped here on our way through Champaign, based on the trip advisor reviews (especially fast, cheap, delicious). We happened to be there the night before the marathon, on a Friday night, so the town was jumping. There was a steady line, made up mostly of college students, but with some older adults mixed in as well. Lots of people getting carry out, as the place is real small, but my wife and I sat at the counter along the windows, and enjoyed watching the people. Food was surprisingly good, even having read the good reviews. Our favorite was the steak taco (don't remember the name) and the fish taco. It isn't fancy at all, but it has a lot of character and made for a fun dinner.

1  Thank DaveMyong
Reviewed August 8, 2013

In a midwest, college town, you don't really expect to get authentic Mexican food; this is pretty good! Everything I've tried has been delicious - especially the chorizo burrito! This place is too small and often packed, but the wait is worth it! I heard they may be updating to a bigger place soon. It's cheap and great for take out. I love that they give chips and salsa to you if you get take out food too! Definitely take the time to go to this place if you're in Champaign!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The food here is very cheap, fast and delicious. Unlike other Mexican Restaurants within the CU area, this one has a lot of flavor in the food that makes it awesome. Usually when you walk by their restaurant, it is filled with people, but the turnover rate is very fast so there is no need to worry about no place to sit.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family ate this restaurant while visiting the University of Illinois. We were starving -- and there it was -- so we stopped in. Be forewarned, it only seats about 15 people at a counter and it is tight -- so don't go here looking for ambiance or a place to talk. You need to eat and move on. But this gives it a bustling vibe. The food is fabulous and fresh. It's great for people with food allergies -- all made in house and they can customize your food to meet your needs (it was safe for my son's dairy, soy and egg allergies). It's small, which I like, so I can order a variety of things to try. My favorite was the fish tacos! A++

In fact, it was so good, we came back for lunch the next day!

1  Thank Karin T