“Upper end of Value”

Sunsinger Wine and Spirits
Ranked #27 of 330 Restaurants in Champaign
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Sunsinger is an enigma. Their wines (and food, to an extent) is great. The setting comfortable and unique. Their menu is especially interesting, and it seems to change a few times per year. Sunsinger's wines are excellent...and the 20 or so by the glass define what a comfortable wine experience should be. They're well chosen, complement the food, and offer a great range of tastes.
But that VALUE equation...did I get what I paid for? How did I end up spending that much?
Sunsinger is at the upper end of the value range, with some recent visits having me wonder if I got everything I expected. Example...a region cheese plate with some fruit and a glass (5 ounces) of wine ended up at $23. And I was still hungry. The cheeses were good, the wine excellent. But the baguette I requested was scant, sliced thinly, had two little slivers of butter, and was bordering on stale. C'mon...bread is cheap, so how about some love to accompany that $14 cheese plate??
In then end, I go back because it's a nice spot to linger, chill out, and enjoy a light repast. But I'd go back more often if the pricing was a bit more value-oriented, and the execution of some details was more dialed in.
As an aside, the owner is often there, and greets you .. nice touch. Good employees, a superior selection of wines, spirits, and gourmet treats. It's a nice spot for the upper end of Champaign's offerings.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

The service and food are excellent, and I always enjoy looking around the store. It's a real treat in this area.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is the perfect place for my girlfriends and me to meet for lunch. They have great sandwiches and salads. My favorite is the grilled cheese (unlike any grilled cheese I have ever eaten). I don't like wine, but my friends love their cheese plates and wine (also nice for an evening out). I have never ordered anything I didn't think was delicious. You can also buy bottles of wine and cheese to take home.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is a nice place to stop and have a glass of wine or grab lunch or dessert with friends. The staff are friendly and the food is great. My personal favorites are the Hot Dutch and the Lobster Bisque soup---um ummm!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Soups and Sandwiches titles do not do Sunsinger justice. They have eclectic (sp) sandwiches that match together different flavors that no one else in the area makes. It is a "higher" level than the other sandwich shops in town. Amazing desserts, and non-sandwich meals. Good selection of wine (obviously) and beers/ciders. Good for those tired of the fast-food world and want something with character.
A definite.