“Impressive first visit”

Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stay in the Champaign area a few times a year and after reading the reviews for Candlewood, I tried it. All the reviews are dead on; clean, quiet and economical. I didn't realize it was more of and extended stay facility. But the lack of breakfast was no big deal. The cupboard pantry area was a nice option. The staff was professional and courteous. I had a room on the second floor, and it was very quiet, although the hotel was at capacity. The spacious room had a full size frig, mini kitchen, a good size desk, flat screen and DVR. I was a nice change from other hotels I stay at. I can see a family really enjoying this place. The area is littered with restaurants and supermarkets and big box stores. Plus close to downtown too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
lrittenhouse, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Greetings from Your Friends at the Candlewood Suites!

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review about your stay with us! We greatly appreciate all feeback and future Guests do as well. You are correct in that we are best suited for extended stay travelers but we also strive to provide the service and value to all Guests that might only be staying for a couple of nights. So, I am very glad you felt you received a value for your stay! Thank you for staying with us and hopefully we can become your preferred hotel every time you stay in Champaign.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Made a return trip to Chicago and l checked if Candlewood Suites had a room. They did so i asked for another room. Again I Had another great stay. The office staff were fantastic, room neat, clean and very comfortable. Enjoyed my stay and would suggest that if visiting the area that the Candlewood Suites would be a great choice... Thanks so much for the hospitality

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ckokkeler
lrittenhouse, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Greetings from your Friends at the Candlewood Suites!

Thank you for the great review! We really appreciate you taking your time to tell us how we did and are glad we were able to provide you with the accommodations and service you deserve. Thank you again!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was the first time i had stayed at a Candlewood Suite. I would definitely stay here again. I had already spent one week in a regular hotel room and had another week of hotel stays and was happy to fine a place that made me feel more at home.

The staff was super nice and helpful. Everything was clean. It was nice to stay in a place with a kitchen and free laundry facilities. Was amazed by all the dishes and space the room had to offer guests. The rooms were quiet and liked the area the hotel was in.

It was a nice change of pace from the usual hotel stay and would definitely stay at a Candlewood Suite again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
lrittenhouse, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Greetings from your Friends at the Candlewood Suites!

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us, we really appreciate such wonderful feedback. We are glad that we were able to make you feel at home, as we strive to be every Guests' home away from home. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our first time at a Candlewood and it was only a one night stay while we were traveling. The entire experience was more than we expected. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was pleasant and helpful. It was a great value.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
lrittenhouse, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Greetings from your Friends at the Candlewood Suites!

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. We are glad that you chose to stay with us and that we were able to exceed your expectations! We appreciate such sincere words and hope to be your 1st choice if you are ever in the area again.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

When booking extended stays I typically stay at the Residence Inn, this was my first time in a Candlewood Suites and the experience has been great! The rooms are nice with hardwood floors in the kitchen area, ceramic tile in the bathroom, granite counters in the kitchen and bathroom, full kitchen with fridge, dishwasher, stovetop, dishes, ice maker ect . . . The beds are really comfortable and the rooms are quiet. My quality of sleep here has been amazing. The one thing I don't like is there is no couch or living area - the desk or bed is the only place to spend time which can be tough for an extended stay.

They don't have breakfast like other hotels but with a kitchen that hasn't been a problem. They only do housekeeping once per week which at first made me nervous but it hasn't been an issue. Since they only come in once per week they do a full cleaning. This is the most impressed I have been with a housekeeping staff. They don't just make the bed and empty the trash, the quality of cleaning is what you would expect if you paid a company to clean your home. If I have needed fresh towels or my trash emptied more than once per week they have been great about it.

The location has been great, close to the freeway, restaurants, grocery stores, ect about 10-15 minute drive from campus and downtown. . . Its situated on a street with a lot of other hotels in the area, they are about to open a Residence Inn right next door but for the price I would pick this hotel over them any day.

I am very happy here and this will be my pick for a hotel if I return to the area. I am also much more open to Candlewood Suites in other cities as this has been a great experience. Last, Candlewood Suites has the same frequent traveler program as holiday inn, intercontinental, indigo, ect . . . I have found much more perks, upgrades and better service with this program over Mariott Rewards - I am now sold on IHG hotels!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
lrittenhouse, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Greetings From Your Friends at The Candlewood Suites!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate such detailed feedback, as it's a great tool for our prospective Guests to see what we're all about. I am glad that you enjoyed your extended stay with us and we were able to show that IHG Brand hotels strive to be Great Hotels that Guests Love! We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

In the area for a temporary job position. The employees were very friendly and answered my questions, gave directions, and handled any complaints I had. For a single female traveling, felt safe in the hotel and area. The rooms are large, clean, and I was able to get a lot of work done. I got a great deal because I had to stay for several nights over a long period of time. I was impressed despite my initial hesitations. I recommend joining the rewards club. You get a $2 credit to use in their "Cupboard." It helps when a craving for sweets attacks!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
lrittenhouse, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Greetings from your Friends at the Candlewood Suites!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive to provide great service and accommodations for all of our different types of traveler's needs and are glad we were able to impress you! We appreciate your kind words and hope to be your 1st choice whenever you are travelling to Champaign-Urbana.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Needed a place to stay in my old hometown for a work business trip. This place had great reviews and I booked it.

Check in I waited 15 minutes but staff was nice and hotel was clean and high quality.

Got to my room and it was larger than I expected and super clean. Up to this point I would have given this place a 5 star rating.

Here's the kicker and I should've known. The end of said business trip was wispy washy so I called on Wednesday afternoon after finding out that I may be leaving earlier than anticipated. I was told that I could cancel UP TO 6pm THE DAY OF. I confirmed this a few times with the lady on the phone. I DID check out on Thursday at 5:40, as soon as I was off work. The lady at checkout stated that this was the case except for that night they were sold out and this was only the case had I checked out before 5pm.

So needless to say this is a nice quality decently priced hotel but the staff doesn't have a clue what the rules are.

If you want to give your money away, I can think of better ways!

1  Thank JoshM232
lrittenhouse, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear JoshM232,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. I apologize for the miscommunication you received while staying with us and will review your comments with my team in hopes of better serving our Guests. It sounds like we were mistakenly communicating the cancellation policy to you, but you were already staying with us, so we should've been communicating the check-out time and policy. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know and the next time you are in the area I hope you will give us another chance.