Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I spent one week here, and this was my first time in an extended stay hotel. Everything was very clean, from public areas to the room to the appliances to the dishes. Friendly staff, free laundry, nice assortment of food and beverages for sale at a reasonable price. Only trouble was that the front desk was not always staffed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
lrittenhouse, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

Hello from your friends at the Candlewood Suites Champaign!

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay here while in Champaign. I do apologize if you experienced any inconvenience when no one was at the Front Desk at a point during your stay. The Front Desk is staffed 24 hours a day although they might need to leave it briefly to take care of another Guest. Thank you for bringing it to our attention because we now make sure to put up an "away from the desk" sign whenever we have to step away.

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback and we hope to see you again in the future!

Best Regards,

Laura and Team!

There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I made a reservation here because the usual hotels I stay at in CU were full. I have never stayed at a Candlewood Suites before and so I did not realize there is no daily maid service, so if you want clean towels more than ONCE A WEEK, you must take your dirty towels down to the front desk to exchange them for clean towels. (I guess I should be glad I wasn't expected to launder them before I check-ed out). The rooms themselves were clean, however, it looks like the hallways are probably only swept once or twice a week (and that may be a generous schedule). I also found it odd for the hotel to present me with a written recommendation they encouraged me to post on TripAdvisor upon check-in. The motel was nothing to write home about, however, the rooms are large, there is a full-size fridge, microwave and dishwasher and it is easily accessible to I-74. It is also in the big-box business district of Champaign, so chain restaurants abound with easy access to the local mall and Target etc.

I might stay here again if I am traveling through on my way further east (which was the case this trip), but if you are visiting CU for UIUC, it is totally removed from the campus atmosphere and lacks any local charm.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HaveSuitcaseWillTrvl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2012

Dear HaveSuitcaseWillTrvl,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Well equipped, quite spacious room with good furnishings. No breakfast facilities - not really expected. Provided wine, cheese etc. in reception area for attendees at university conference held in town. Reasonably efficient front desk. Would stay there again and at other hotels in chain..

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
lrittenhouse, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Champaign-Urbana Univ Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Hello from your friends at the Candlewood Suites Champaign!

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay while at our hotel. If there is anything else we can do, please let us know. We hope to see you again soon.

Laura and Team!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I was a little hesitant about staying here, mainly because it was a chain with which I was unfamiliar. But I was pretty quickly converted. I loved having a real kitchenette with a stove, microwave, toaster, real plates and sliver, tupperware, and a dishwasher. It made our stay most enjoyable. The room was spacious, comfortable, and well maintained. And they are pet friendly, which means I will always look for a Candlewood Suites when I'm making a reservation.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Awesome service! I pretty much live in hotels for my job and you just can't beat the service of this hotel. It was a busy weekend for the whole town due to the University. I had made the reservations on short notice so they were out of rooms up to 80 miles away at all hotels. When I got off work and was trying to find a room for the night the hotel let me know they had a room available. The amenities at the hotel are great for extended stay guests. Free laundry, full size fridge, kitchenette with dishes, a dishwasher and a DVD player. The staff is great! very friendly and always there to help if you need anything.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This place was great. The front desk and maintenance staff were great, the rooms were huge, the bathroom was huge and clean. The walls between rooms are really thin so you will hear next-doors's tv and conversations quite clearly.

I was not given a platinum amenity when I checked in until I asked. I'll chalk that up to being a new property and the desk person probably hadn't had a lot of platinums stay there. The amentity was a free brown-bag breakfast for One, not two. I asked about this and that was correct, One person even though I was with my wife.

When I put my key in the room lock the green light came on but the door was still locked. I tried it a few times and then went to the desk to report it. She gave me a different room and I had the same problem. I went back to the desk and she sent a maintenance man back to the room with me. I tried the key in front of him and it worked fine (of course). Later on as I was waiting for the elevator to go downstairs the maintenance man and another maintenance man were there also. I mentioned my problem and the second maintenance man said the problem was that the locks don't release all the way until you move the key up and down a few times. I did have the problem again later that evening and had to put the key in a few times before it would unlock.

The controls on the tv are locked out so don't try to turn it on and off or anything else without the remote control. There is a shelf under the tv with a dvd player on it and a remote control on top of it. This is not the tv remote as I found out after not getting the tv to turn on. I called the front desk and she asked me if I was using the right remote so I must not be the first one to have this problem. The tv remote is on the table between the beds.

Besides these minor things we really liked the hotel. It was probably the best place we stayed on this eight-day trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed there for a night while I was in transition. Staff was phenomenal, everyone was very accommodating with each request. Rooms were clean and odorless.

Only issue I encountered was housekeeping waking me at 8a to clean the room even though I clearly had a Do Not Disturb door hanger. I wondered why they would clean the room if I was checking out in a few hours.

Great experience, location close to mall and other points of interest. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business