“Beautiful room and facility. Unsecured room.”

Wingate By Wyndham Champaign
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed July 3, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nancy S
reneesample, General Manager at Wingate By Wyndham Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Write a ReviewReviews (1,000)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I travel often for both work and family and had stayed in the area previously at a different hotel. I count on travel reviews and should have paid heed to those about the noise. Our room was not as requested on the top floor, but was on the second floor. I was promised no one was above our room. So I requested that above room but was given an excuse that the room I had was quieter and that the hotel was sold out and there weren't other rooms, how? Words can't describe how upset I was to see the horribly stained carpet in the room I was given. There were black stains that look like black automotive grease throughout the room! I began to fear they could even be pet stains but was told pet rooms were only on the first floor. I was promised that an extractor would be used the next day to clean our room carpet. Not true, they sent a poor guy with small spray can of spot remover that couldn't remove the black stains. I told the poor guy forget it I would call the manager for a real cleaning. The worse thing is that the next day there indeed were people in the room above. I could hear every step and could not sleep from that noise and the intermittent sounds near the closet area. Worst thing, it rained two days and the window leaked horribly. We had to use 2 bath towels to soak up the rain that was leaking on the mantel. I had to call for room service twice that hadn't came and they said it was due to their thinking I wanted to move to another room. What? Shouldn't they confirm that with me instead of not cleaning the room. I wasn't given the option to move until the evening of the second day based on being told the hotel was sold out and then they still did not offer me a third floor room as requested so it was unacceptable. I basically feel that overall this was the worst room and experience I've had in 5 years of travel and I have traveled quite a bit.

The lobby was fine, however, the pool area so steamy and without proper circulation it was hard to breathe. In summary, I really feel the night staff person just basically gave me untrue information overall. Then the morning staff did not resolve the issue. I can not trust ever visiting this hotel again. Not all staff were bad but the overall experience was subpar. I can't consider ever using this hotel again when in the Champaign/Urbana area again and won't be recommending it to my colleagues.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank T. O
reneesample, General Manager at Wingate By Wyndham Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Valued Guest.

I am very sorry to read your review. We do take pride in guest satisfaction.
As you remember we did ask to room move you a few times. A couple of times, you agreed. During these periods, there was some confusion as to whether or not we were going to clean your room as a stayover or as a checkout. At one point, we were taking your room out of service so the maintenance manager could shampoo the carpeting. We do not perform this sort of task while a guest room is occupied. He did report to me a few spots which he addressed manually with a cleaner. The manager mentioned he thought the spots was recently brought in maybe even by the wheels on the guest luggage cart.

As for the pool, this week we did discover a belt needed replaced on the dehumidifier. That has been repaired.

Lastly, I am investigating the leaky window. I was not aware.

Thank you. Renee

Reviewed July 1, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because I was attending an event at the University of Illinois campus. The room was very nice and clean, location was great and the price was very good. Not much else to say about it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

We strive for guest satisfaction. Being in a great location, clean and considered to be a good value is our goal. Thank you for stating we were doing our jobs well.

We look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Really great deal. Couldn't believe what a nice place it was for such a low price. Did not expect that! Spacious king room. Micro, fridge,safe and free Internet. Basic breakfast but breakfast non the less. Waffles sausage, scrambled eggs and the everything you would expect from a continental breakfast. Not terribly quiet but you can't blame the hotel for parents who let their kids misbehave. Very helpful and friendly employees. Conveniently located to just about any thing you could possibly need. Clean. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Helped that we were on the 3rd floor. Made for a bit more quietness.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Wow! Thank you for all the kind words. The entire staff works very, very hard to please our guests. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was to stay there for three weeks and decided to leave after one.
Always the same breakfast everyday (cheese omelet or scrambled eggs) and kids left running in the corridors past 11PM (and manager didn't care) eventually got me out of it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
reneesample, General Manager at Wingate By Wyndham Champaign, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Your review has me concerned. I am the only manager here and I do not recall you and I speaking. Please be assured, I would have appreciated speaking to you. Do you have a name of whom you spoke?

Yes, we have been VERY busy lately. Many of our guests have been groups with sport teams. Whenever we have teams in, I schedule extra employees to help monitor the pool, exercise room and the hallways. Unfortunately, it isn't 100% a guarantee to prevent all noise.

As far as breakfast, I have been adding variety on a regular basis. Yes, we rotate omelets, scrambles eggs AND hard boiled eggs weekly. We rotate bacon and eggs, as well. We have two waffle makers which are a big hit. Beyond that we offer many choices of muffins from various vendors and three kinds of fresh fruit. We have fresh juice ...three kinds, yogurt, three kinds of milk ...including chocolate. We put out bagels, cream cheese and English muffins. May I ask you contact me regarding what else would you like to see on the breakfast bar? An opportunity to speak with you would be appreciated. (217-355-5566)

We would like to earn your business back.

Thank you.