“Perfect location”

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
illinois
“Perfect location”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here last month for the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon and it was perfect. The start line was just out in front of the hotel. The room was very nice with a huge walk-in shower. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating. I would stay there again next year, but they're implementing a 2 night minimum for the race weekend. At $200 a night, I can drive home after my race on Saturday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Chatham, Illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here three days and had a great experience. I've stayed here a few times in the past and never had 100% positive experience, so I was on the lookout for failure, but nope, everything was wonderful. Great room, quiet, comfy bed, clean accommodations, perfect free wireless. Muffin and tea every morning. Friendly staff. Very, very nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I wish I could have spent more than one night at this fabulous gem in -- who'd of thunk it? -- Champaign-Urbana. I was there for a conference and was dazzled by this stylish, hip hotel and conference center. The room was large and lovely with great beds/linens and a capacious bathroom with a top-notch shower. With a name like the iHotel, we wonder how long it will be before Apple files suit. It was a great spot for a conference. Wish I'd stayed long enough to check out the spa, pool, etc. (I did sit outside on a lovely, sunny terrace). The fact that the attached restaurant is a Houlihan's diminished the groove-factor only marginally (we ate elsewhere). Staff even found me a safety pin when my shirt button broke off minutes before I was scheduled to give a presentation. I don't know when or if I'll ever be in Champaign again, but I know for sure where I'll be staying if I do return: The iHotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This hotel exceeded my expectations. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to be helpful to me, as I did not know my way around the area, and offered shuttle service to area locations.The rooms were larger than many standard hotel rooms, and the bed was comfortable. I found that the cleanliness of the entire hotel was excellent. The fitness center was adequate and not very busy on the two days I was there, so there was no problem getting a chance to use the equipment. We only ate breakfast at the restaurant, Houlihan's, but the service was very fast and the food was prepared just as we had ordered. We attended an event at the conference center and the food there was very good as well. Overall, the hotel is very well run and I will definitely stay there again when I go to Champaign.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WeightwatcherLdr
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I'm kind of a hotel snob, and this place exceeded all of my expectations! Wow! It reminded me of one of the nicer Westin hotels.

My room was exceptionally clean and well-appointed, with quality shower amenities, complimentary water, free Internet, and even a collection of books to read. The sheets were the softest sheets I've slept on in my life, and I have stayed in many good hotels. (I would have purchased a set, but it appeared from the catalog they only sell the flat sheets.)

The lobby was modern and inviting, with a nice fireplace and many places for people to sit and relax. Attention to detail showed everywhere, even in the lobby potted plants--beautifully arranged with lovely perennial flowers.

The restaurant, Houlihan's, had a good dinner and appetizer menu. I was particularly impressed by breakfast-- only $8 for a great breakfast of eggs, bacon, fruit, toast and coffee.

The fitness center was fine-- five pieces of cardio equipment and a selection of free weights.

Check-in and check-out were both easy and friendly. The front desk offers a good selection of newspapers, complimentary.

I didn't want to leave! I will definitely be staying here next time I'm in Champaign!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Poolgirl7705
Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 19, 2013

After a 4 hour drive from Wisconsin, we were pleasantly surprised by the IHotel, a fairly new hotel in the south end of the campus of the University of Illinois. The facility was new, modern, clean and comfortable. We were greeted by a very friendly staff person and offerred complimentary bottled water while we checked in. The check-in was efficient and we were in our room quickly. The room had all the usual and customary amenities, with a decent television and large bathroom. A small cafe serving Starbucks and a Houlihans restaurant round out the food offerrings. A free shuttle service to and from various locations was very helpful and welcomed. If I am ever back to the University, I will definitely stay here agin.

Room Tip: Book your room through the admissions office if coming for a tour, for a discount.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Yorkshire
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was recommended to meand indeed booked for me when visiting the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign -sorry, I recognise that double-barrelled city name grates with some!

The hotel itself is only a few years old, and is still in good condition. It has a large conference centre attached, although at time of writing I haven't yet been in that part of the facility. It also has a small gym and a spa facility - although the latter is limited to massage and treatments, rather than an "all singing, all dancing" steam/sauna/chill-out facility.

Bedrooms are well-sized - as you'd expect in this part of the world - and are comfortably furnished. The bathroom has a large walk-in shower, but no bath, which suits me just fine. A good range of decent toiletries are provided, and wifi is also free and easy to access. Rooms contain a safe, iron and ironing board; there is also a small, empty fridge - ideal for storing a bottle or two of complimentary water (available from the fridges near to the lobby gym) overnight. House-keeping services are good and the laundry service was good value. THe only thing I could not fathom out was the strange arrangement of folded over sheet and duvet on the bed! Every night I had to tuck the duvet under the pre-folded leading edge of the sheet - but hey, if that's the biggest niggle, then it's hardly the end of the world!

Like many US city hotels, you really need a car to spend much time here, although the I Hotel does offer a complimentary hotel shuttle service which runs you around the local area. The on-site bar and dining facilities (Holihan's) is perfectly acceptable for a few nights if you don't have wheels however. It offers a decent enough range of US and imported beers and a range of dishes from light snacks right through to more substantive meals.

I have to say the "included" breakfast - which is provided by way of a voucher to enable a resident to obtain a drink and a breakfast snack (croissant, yoghurt or bagel) leaves a little to be desired - go for the bagels, not the tough old croissant! Hopefully I will have the chance to try a more fulsome breakfast before I leave.

The staff at the I Hotel are very friendly. From the front of house reception staff to those in the bar and dining area, I barely saw an unsmiling or unfriendly face. Alicia at the bar took time to explain a couple of different beer types to me, and was genuinely interested in knowing which one I enjoyed more. When dining along (albeit waiting for colleagues), that sort of personal enagagement with customers makes a real difference to the experience.

I do hope to return to Urbana-Champaign and if so, I will be more than happy to stay at the I Hotel again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
Hyatt Place Champaign
#2 of 25 in Champaign
Homewood Suites by Hilton Champaign-Urbana
Hilton Garden Inn Champaign/ Urbana
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Champaign
TownePlace Suites Champaign Urbana/Campustown
Comfort Suites Urbana Champaign, University Area

Been to I Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!