“Be prepared for a long wait! Disappointing selection from menu.”
Review of Walker's Bluff

Walker's Bluff
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Carterville
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Outstanding 5 star restaurant located just minutes north of Carbondale at the new Walker's Bluff Winery. This is now the finest restaurant in Southern Illinois!
Reviewed November 5, 2012

You must never arrive really hungry, this is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, fast food. For some odd reason, they take longer than an hour to get you what you order! This is not unusual, but the norm, unless you partake in the Sunday Brunch, where the food is buffet. Usually, the food is excellent. This time, the buffalo burger, and pork we ordered were dried out. The "normal" burger was juicy and tasty. I think they forgot us and forgot our order in the kitchen under the heat lamps for an hour. The wait staff was very friendly. We liked the atmosphere/decor.

3  Thank scoobski

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Restaurant is well decorated and appointed. Food is overpriced and not very good, service is abominable. Although I do not like to be rushed during a meal, we were there at lunchtime and after 2 hours still had not received our entree.

3  Thank Reba989
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Lunch for a group of 14 yesterday. First the waitress came in with a magnum of wine strongly suggesting we order it which we did. $160. After two and half hours we had received appetizers and some salads but no entrees. We had to leave because we had people waiting for us. We got our entrees in boxes to eat on the bus. Example. Stringy corned beef on soggy bread. Worst Reuben ever. Won't be back.

3  Thank BarbandMike0
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Walker's Bluff (Legends) is a relatively new establishment in the Southern Illinois area. My wife and I have been there several times. When we first started going everything seemed to be a bit stressed and overdone. The ambiance is nice and the surroundings are well thought-out but there seemed to be a nervousness amoung the staff. Not that it was uncomfortable but everything felt like it was forced and 'new'.

Right off the bat we realized that everything is overpriced ($50 for a Kobe ribeye). This is the crux of my discontent. I am willing to pay for a great steak. I am a fan of Ruth's Chris and don't mind dropping some coin if everything clicks, but Ruth's Chris is reasonably priced compared with Legends.

Now that Walker's Bluff has been around for a while their staff seems to be settling in after their initial growing pains but their menu prices are just a bit over the top. I get the feeling that I am paying for their extravagant overhead every time I get the bill and it just doesn't add up. There seems to be the idea that because it's expensive it's good and I don't follow that school of thought. I would like to be an unpaid spokesman as there is a lack of high-end dining in this part of the state but, unfortunately, I have never had a meal that simply blew me away or made me feel like I was getting my money's worth so I am not a full-fledged fan.

On another note, I have never been there for a concert, movie night, family night, et cetera so my experience has been limited to a night out with friends or a quiet night with my wife. Therefore, I cannot speak to the atmosphere like some of the other reviewers but I have never experienced rudeness or drunkeness from the staff. We have had some interesting late-night conversation with some of the bar staff but nothing inappropriate.

I won't tell you to stay away but I won't tell you that you simply must make the trek but if you are looking for a romantic environment, by all means, take a peek but be forewarned that the tab will be steep.

Attached pictures are from the tasting room and the wine cave rather than the actual Legends restaurant.

1  Thank ANR_78
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Ambiance is that of a country club. Full bar, lovely americsn style food,gorgeous atmosphere and excellent service, complete this find in a very out of the way location. In heavy rains, roads to/from legends get flooded.

1  Thank MIAMISHEILA