“Rehearsal Dinner Review”

Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Carterville
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Outstanding 5 star restaurant located just minutes north of Carbondale at the new Walker's Bluff Winery. This is now the finest restaurant in Southern Illinois!
Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rehearsal Dinner Review”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had 50 people for a rehearsal dinner at Walker's Bluff in July 2012. The service was great and very timely. We had ordered weeks in advance and sent Heather, the event coordinator, our spreadsheet with menu choices. We used the veranda for an hour for drinks and appetizers, then proceeded inside to a private room to eat. Great service, very professional young men as servers! Wonderful desserts too... the legendary chocolate cake was wonderful; beautiful presentation.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Diane M

Carterville, Illinois
“Very pleased with Sunday Brunch Buffet”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Since it's a buffet, we went when they opened, so everything would be "fresh". The selection was great: salmon, pork loin, prime rib to name a few, and a good selection of side items, baked goods, and deserts; see their menu online. However, they didn't have the scallops, as listed on the menu. The manager took the time to come to my table to apologize, and explain that they aren't always available... I had the salmon. It was cooked and seasoned perfectly. My husband had the prime rib, which was tender and juicy, however there was an overpowering taste of some kind of seasoning (like mesquite), and that wasn't what he was expecting, and so it was disappointing. If you're expecting that, you'll love it! The service was great; we were well taken care of, by the friendly staff. They even provided a birthday treat of fresh fruit salad for me because I couldn't have cake. It wasn't just a bowl of fresh fruit-- it was a work of art! How thoughtful!

• Visited July 2012
“Poor service”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Arrived on a Sat. night at approx. 7 p.m., without a reservation, but we're seated immediately, because it was a slow night. Nice upscale atmosphere. Our server was very pleasant, but very unorganized. We started with drinks and an appetizer. The appetizer was served immediately. We were then served bread, while our drinks were sitting on the bar. The server finally returned after 25 min. and realized she had not given us our drinks. We had already finished our appetizer and bread. She immediately retrieved our drinks. We were then given our main course by a young man from the kitchen. He said nothing, he just placed the meals on the table. Our server then approached our table from the other side of the room and apologized for us receiving our meals prior to receiving our salads. She then asked us if we still wanted our salads, which we did. The server was quite upset with the gentlemen from the kitchen that served us our main course. My wife was actually happy that our meals were served, because they would have been sitting in the kitchen getting cold. Our server then asked us if we wanted more bread, which we did, she left for the bread, but never returned with it. After finishing our meal, we sat for approximately 20 min before our server returned. We originally wanted to order dessert, but we're afraid it would be screwed up somehow. Funny thing is, our server offered us free dessert, because of the salad mix-up, but we declined. The bill was $115, which I paid without any remarks to the staff, but it was not worth it. Remember, it was a slow night. I have worked in the food industry and understand what it can be like on a busy night, but it was a very slow night. The majority of the tables were empty. I have had better service at Applebee's. The food was just ok. I think our experience was tainted by a bad server, but for $115 that should not happen. Based on the previous reviews, it appears to be a reoccurring theme.

After eating, my wife and I made our way to the tasting room. We met with several friends that work at Walker's Bluff. They were not surprised about the poor service in the dining room. The tasting room was nice. Next time, we will dine in the tasting room.

3 Thank Purdy5
Herrin, Illinois
“Great looking place, but...”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Food is just ok. Waaay too expensive for the quality of food you get. Would you like a starch? Yea, for 6 bucks extra! Everything is ala carte. Go ahead and charge me 35$ for a steak, but don't bend me over at the table for a salad and potato. Even the wine tasting room is a rip off. I know they are trying to keep the trash out, but this is ridiculous. Also, seems like new management every six months.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank BringTheFunk
Ridgecrest, California
“Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I've been to Legends for the Sunday Brunch Buffet a few times and have been pleased each time. The variety and quality of the food is always excellent. There have been times when the service wasn't very good, but other times when it was fantastic.

The atmosphere is upscale, but relaxed at the same time. The area is beautiful.

My only issue is that it is a little pricey for my taste.

• Visited October 2011