“Paradise!”

Jungle Beach by Uga Escapes
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuchchaveli
Reviewed March 27, 2013

One of the most beautiful properties I have ever experienced!

Teeming with butterflies and birds, the magnificent bungalow in the jungle setting was perfect for our very brief honeymoon. Service was the best I've ever experienced in a Sri Lankan hotel and the training of staff certainly shows. Bandara was our waiter for the most of our stay and really added to our positive experience at the property.

The rooms were beautiful and the most well-appointed I've come accross in the country. The attention to detail in the rooms was excellent, from appliances to milk in the fridge and hair conditioner (thank you!) - and the outdoor shower, spectacular!

The food was amazing and it is apparent that this Sri Lankan chef has also had overseas experience which was apparent in the flavours and beautiful presentation of the food. I was also so happy that there were NO BUFFETS! Please keep it that way. The seafood meal we had was one of the best I've ever had and the rice and curry delicious. The cocktail menu was also a refreshing change from the usual standards. The barman explained that they were all his own creations and he should be commended. They were beautiful!

The only negative aspect of the trip was only have two nights there but we'll be back... can't wait!

Room Tip: We stayed in a jungle bungalow. I wouldn't bother paying extra for a Beach one.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jolee262
Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Fabulous! The location, the rooms, the pool, garden all awesome.

The beach and sea is not what's typically expected of Nilavelli/Trinco (not typically calm and pool like where you can wade in to the water for "miles"), however its still safe, warm and above all secluded, totally private and stunning with the jungle rolling into the ocean.

The staff at the hotel are accommodating but service seems to take forever.

We've stayed there twice and recommend getting the rooms close to the ocean or if you go in a group, get the family cluster (3 cottages with your own private pool)

Some of the open air shower areas can be tricky as they are not as private as you would expect them to be, specially if your cottage is located right next to the walking paths.

They have a very well stocked bar with some decent cocktails. The food is a little disappointing, they try hard but its just not great. Specially disappointing that they have a very limited sea food selection (mostly a la carte almost nothing in the buffet) and even that's not done very well.

Oh! Limited WiFi coverage

Overall we loved the place and would continue to go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LocalMachang
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Wow, it was really nice.. One of the best places I have ever been.. Everything was fine.. Great location, great views, great food, great hospitality and great people. I was really sad to leave that place. For sure, we suppose to go there again to stay for more days and to get that marvellous experience again.

Room Tip: I think the three chalets with a common pool is the best location to stay.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Achini d
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was the perfect place for my husband and me to spend three lovely, completely relaxing days towards the end of our month long 2013 visit to Sri Lanka. (We were in Sri Lanka for a month last winter too.) From the moment we were welcomed to Jungle Beach by the very elegant and gracious Shashika at reception, we knew we were going to love our time here. Initially we had planned to take daily excursions away from the hotel, as we had been doing throughout the country. This resort was so beautiful, though, that for the most part we simply couldn't tear ourselves away.( We did go for a short but very enjoyable hike with Manju one evening at sunset, looking for wildlife in a clearing in the jungle down the way and strolling back along the beach.) The resort has been built in dense jungle foliage, and we were told almost no trees were cleared to make way for the many beautiful little bungalows, the the main structure, the gorgeous pool, spa, gym etc. Many were trimmed, however! Our accommodation was superb, beautifully appointed and close to the pool and main building encompassing the dining area, bar etc. We particularly loved the fantastic outdoor shower. The meals were excellent, surpassed only by the service, with a special thank you to S Jayalath. Thilina did a great job in keeping the dining room functioning perfectly. The beach is a wide swath of gorgeous sand, perfectly maintained. In conclusion, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that we very much appreciate the fact that this resort has a mandate to employ folks who are resident in the area, and given what has gone on in this part of the country, we find this to be particularly important.

Room Tip: The accommodation at Jungle Beach covers a large area. If you have a particular desire to be "c...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I could say I discovered one of the best places in the world, I spent two amazing and relaxing days there, the accomodation was great, we had a lovely room, very clean, the whole hotel and restaurnat are located in beautiful place and are they way that are organized make you feel you're in paradise. The food was excelent, starting with the amazing breakfast and finishing with the delicious dinner. The staff was always smiling and attentive to our needs.I won't hesitate to return there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Laura P
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I will not write a regular review for the Jungle Beach and that’s because the days i spent there was far from a regular five star hotel staying. I will not tell you here though too much about the services, food, accommodation, gym, staff, yoga classes (for which I always made a reservation, but I never got to; the scenery around me brought me enough food for my soul to skip them). To all this usual things a tourist is interested of, I have given excellent rating. I didn’t found one thing that bother me or wanted to correct it. All this were just perfect.
But will tell you more about those trips and life experiences that changes you inside. I will tell you about a place from where you can’t go without looking behind. This is one of them!
I will tell you about the greatness of a starry night sky wich lights the wilderness. About the fascination of a warm rain that washes your soul, along with wild elephant’s marks imprinted in the sand . About the greatness of angry waves breaking in the morning lazy sun, about the flavor of the green leaves caressed by huge velvet colored butterflies. About the serenity drawn in the eyes of the local people, symptoms of their big hearts. About this smile that came up and you whant to take it and and keep it forever. The only thing i really whant to tell here is that Jungle Beach is a magical place where I was happy and I smiled. A lot.
I want to thank to all the special staff people there who make that happen and Providence for making this place the way it is so that it’s guests feel all it’s beauty inside.
Now, for more pragmatic travelers i can tell that it is very hard to find more carefull and friendly staff than those of Jungle Beach Resort . We were 14 people, including childrens, staying there for 7 nights. I assume it was very difficult for a jungle stuff hotel to satisfy a crowd as demanding as our’s. But we allways find there somebody to help us with anything we need it and smile to us. They were eaven very kind to try catching the noughty tiny little lizars (wich make some of us a little more worried at first). And catching those is almost an impossible thing. Accommodation rooms are wonderful , i liked especially the outdoor private shower.
The restaurant dining and bar service was allways impeccable and allways a wonderfull surprise. We enjoyed the local food and beverage wich staff kindly described for some europeans like us, and they helped us choose it. Also, when some of us desired a special dish or drink, all the staff did their best to please us.
And all of this things i have told u about came to us on a plate with a large smile near by, eaven our requests was a few times challenging for a jungle resort optiones.
Very special thanks for making us that happy by all his efforts, to asst.R & B manager, Thilina Madhushan.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CarmenDragomir
Reviewed January 17, 2013

LOVED the setting of this hotel on a beautiful, long beach (wild swimmable surf in December), but in amongst trees and folliage. Apparently there's awesome snorkelling nearby, but in December definitely not possible. We enjoyed our wild swims, while the kids stayed on the beach collecting shells/making sand castles, or playing endlessly in the pool. The beach lifeguard was wonderfully unobtrusive but watchful! So far, this has been hands-down our favorite beach in SL (over the years, we've been to Dikwella, Unawatuna, Ambalangoda, and Kalpitya).

The beach chalets give a glimpse of the ocean from the balcony, and you can definitely hear the waves and feel the ocean wind. The bathroom in the back has floor-ceiling glass doors/windows out to the outdoor shower which is raised above the sandy floor below and enclosed by a wooden fence. No=one can look in, but you can look out and get plenty of light!

The dining/bar areas and the pool area are very nicely done, but small. The layout of the dining area is a nightmare for the staff: an in-set area below, pillars to manouvre around, and very little space between tables. The chinaware was definintely too big for the small tables. But everyone somehow managed which is amazing. And it was all done thoughtfully!

Service was friendly and fine, but slow -- part of the teething problems, just like the layout.

Food was great, especially the Sri Lankan fare (when they used Sri Lankan spice levels). The western food was too cheesy, creamy, salty for our taste but used really fresh ingredients. AGAIN, I think this is just a teething-problem.

When the final bill came, we were definitely PLEASANTLY surprised. Good value. We definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: Beach Chalet! Or: Jungle Chalet No. 19 is in amongst a cluster of another 2 chalets. Together those...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TikiTolo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuchchaveli
Amaranthe Bay Resort
Anilana Nilaveli
Anilana Nilaveli
#2 of 6 in Nilaveli
Pigeon Island Beach Resort

Been to Jungle Beach by Uga Escapes? Share your experiences!