“The kids and I had an absolute blast!”

Magnuson Grand Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carlinville
Kankakee, IL
“The kids and I had an absolute blast!”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

My children (ages 4 & 3) and I stayed at here for two nights on October 22 & 23, 2010. We had an absolute blast!

The hotel is a little dated (it used to be a Holiday Inn) so not everything is crisp and new but that didn't concern any of us one bit.

Every single member of the staff that we interacted with was great - from the front desk to the dining area to the maintenance guys to the cleaning ladies.

Our room was nice and clean and we all slept great.

Behind the hotel is a small pond surrounded by a wonderful boardwalk with a gazebo and a beautiful garden. There is an old paddle boat that was converted into a restaurant in the pond which was packed Saturday night (not sure if that is rented for special occasions or if it is open all the time). All of us enjoyed watching the fish and turtles swimming in the pond. There was also a friendly cat roaming around the boardwalk that my kids tried and tried to catch but the cat simply had too many places to hide!

My kids and I walked all around the pond and at the back of the grounds was a pasture with a couple of friendly cows in it that came up to greet us.

Although I wouldn't rave about quality of the inclusive breakfast buffet, all of us were satisfied with what we ate. (Note: I typically stay at Holiday Inn Express and if for comparison sake I were to rate their breakfast as a 10, the breakfast at this Best Western would about an 8). One very nice thing about the breakfast is that it is served in the hotel restaurant - not in the lobby like at most hotels. The view from the dining room was great as it overlooked the pond/boardwalk/paddle boat.

I've been saving the best for last........THE POOL IS AWESOME! This was the warmest hotel swimming pool that I have ever been in - the temperature of the water was perfect! The kids and I swam for 2.5 hours one night and 2 hours one morning. Before we checked out they asked me "dad, can we come back here to swim again tomorrow?" I wish that we could have but Monday awaited us the next day.

Overall, this hotel was a great experience. As with many things, it is what you make of it. If you want a five star hotel, stay at the Crown Plaza in nearby Springfield. If you want a pleasant experience in a safe rural setting at a very reasonable rate, stay at this Best Western!

We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Appleton, wi
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Although our needs were few, this was a great place to stay. It was very clean, the staff was pleasant, and the location was an easy on and off to the interstate. We were on our way to St louis and needed a break. The breakfast was nice but not fancy. Like I said, not fancy, but it was a safe and very clean place to stay. This was a great place to stop before driving to the Meremac caverns the next day.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
MO
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We were traveling as part of a group, and the group picked this hotel. This is one of those hotels that overall wasn't a bad place to stay, but all the little annoyances started to add up. For starters, the power was out due to a severe storm that passed thru just before we arrived. That's not the hotel's fault, but I bring it up because the staff did an excellent job handling 75+ people arriving at once with no power.

The little annoyances were that the phone in our room didn't work. The toilet ran constantly. The shower temperature was very inconsistent and I almost got scalded when the temperature went from warm to blazing hot. After the first use, our keys no longer worked in the door. Little things, yes, but it shows that no one is sweating the details.

I'm not one to usually comment on the breakfast buffet since to me that is not why I stay in a hotel. But to some people the buffet is a make-or-break proposition, so that's why I bring it up in this review. In a word, it was inedible. Terrible doesn't begin to convey how bad it was. We had 2 free tickets so it wasn't that big of a deal to us, but if you're one who really counts on the breakfast buffet, stay away from this hotel.

If you're in this area, you'd be better off going down the road to Litchfield and staying at the Hampton or Holiday Inn.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Il
Reviewed August 13, 2008

I just came back from a stay at this Best Western. As stated in another review, this used to be a Holidome. The room was clean, the beds were very comfortable, there was a nice view of a lagoon outside our window. Make sure you go out and walk along the lagoon. There is a steamboat, and they have a place to buy food for the fish and turtles that are swimming around. The pool was great as well as the jacuzzi (which really came in handy after a long day at the State Fair). In the morning there was a nice buffet breakfast. The staff were very friendly. On top of all that the room rate was really affordable. A great place!!!

• Liked — Clean room, pool, great service, buffet breakfast, comfortable bed, lagoon
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank schratner
Illinois
Reviewed March 24, 2008

The Carlinville best western is great! It is really the only decent hotel between Springfield, IL and Litchfield, IL. They have great pool-side rooms, a game room, a Captin's table restaurant and lounge! The breakfast buffet (FREE!!) is great! They have hot entrees along with the general cont. breakfast stuff. The best part (why we go!) is the indoor atrium with the great pool and hot tub! It is SO clean, nice, and large for a hotel these days. The pool goes to 6 feet on one end with the other end being around 3 feet. For the price, $89 through hotel directly, you can't beat it!! The kids have a great time, and there are plenty of chairs and tables in the pool area. Staff is very friendly and helpful-es. in the restaurant!

By the way, we come here quite a bit, and this hotel used to be a Holiday Inn until they changed over a few years ago. The "atrium" area I am refering to is what the Holiday Inn called a "holidome."

We will always continue coming back here. Give it a try! You won't be sorry!

• Liked — THE POOL!!!!!!
  • Disliked — nothing-everything was great!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelfreek1
minneapolis
Reviewed November 28, 2007

I have actually stayed here two times once in April 2006 and then in April 2007. Its a nice quiet clean hotel close to the highway. The resturant in the hotel is good, a real benefit for people who have been driving all day and have no desire to go find a place for dinner. The pool is nice and clean.
I recommended it to my borther and his family and I will go back again when in the area.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank ideasamy
hlidusk
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Nice hotel right off the highway--used to be a holiday inn. Pool and "holidome" area with hot tub and clean, and well-kept. The rooms are slightly aged, but not bad. They also have a lounge and Captin's Table restaurant. Also had a good hot cont. bkfst. A good stay-will return.

Stayed April 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlinville
Baymont Inn & Suites Litchfield
#2 of 2 in Carlinville
Super 8 Staunton
Super 8 Staunton
#1 of 1 in Staunton

Been to Magnuson Grand Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!