“Don't Stay Here” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Illinois
“Don't Stay Here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

They did not have my reservation and I should have taken this as a sign to go elsewhere. The room was filthy, cigarette hole in blanket, no battery in smoke detector. The toilet ran all night and continuously flushed. The chain lock on the door was broken. There were cigarette burns on the bathtub. The bed skirt was stained. The mattresses were old and worn, even had dents in them. The staff was clueless and unable to provide me receipt for my stay. I would never stay here again. I really wonder if some of the reviews posted are false.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sally617

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bourbonnais, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our extended family (9 rooms) stayed at the Best Western Saluki Inn in Carbondale, IL for 1 to 5 nights each for a memorial service and family reunion. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The swimming pool was great for all the kids. The breakfasts were wonderful with hot and cold food and drinks readily available. The best thing was the manager, Melissa, who was so helpful to make all the room reservations and changes at the last minute. She was also able to give us a great rate on the conference room and make it available for setup and displays of memorabilia. Thank you, Melissa, so much!
Ivor

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ivor N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I briefly stayed at this hotel with my family a couple of weeks ago, and we found it to be comfortable, reasonably priced, and came with all the amenities we were looking for. We found the staff to be professional, the rooms were clean, and the swimming pool is definitely a plus!

I get it, reviews differ, mostly because people look for different things in a hotel. Personally, if you wanted the Ritz Carlton you should probably have booked a room there because this hotel has all the basics and the website is accurate - what you see is what you get! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank panda319
Plainfield, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We recently stayed at the Best Western in Carbondale and had a very unpleasant experience. When we pulled the covers down to go to bed one of the beds had dirty sheets. I called the front desk and was told that she was the only person on staff. It was approximately 10:30 pm. She could not leave but her replacement was due there at 11 pm and one of them would come up and change the bed. Understandable. Mistakes happen. Around 11:10 I decided to call again since we were still waiting and was told that her replacement should be there soon and again, one of them would be up shortly. About 10 minutes later a gentleman knocked on the door. He apparently did not speak English very well and put the sheets on the bed and walked out. Needless to say, I did not pay for a room so I could change my own bedding. The next morning I complained and was given our pet fee of $20 off plus an additional $10. If this had been the Hampton Inn we would not have paid anything but you live and learn and I know I will not stay at a Best Western again after this. In addition, the breakfast was horrible. The eggs were disgusting and there was an empty sausage bin. We had to ask for more sausage and it was an hour before the scheduled end of breakfast. When it came out it was cold. There was 1 banana in the bin and it was totally brown. No yogurts were left and the bread and muffins were stale. All in all it was a really bad experience and the attidue of the staff was not very customer service oriented.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Annette B
Melissa M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Saluki Inn, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on tripAdvisor on your recent stay at the Best Western Saluki Inn. Your feedback is very important to us because it helps us improve in areas that need an extra tender loving care touch.
I am sorry to hear that your stay did not exceed your expectations. I insure you that we have taken your response seriously and measures have been made to avoid this specific situation from happening again. I hope you can give us another opportunity to show you that we are a hotel that cares about our guest and that we are striving to go above and beyond in customer care.
Joliet
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice place. It's close to shopping, and several restaurants are within walking distance. Pool area has no Jacuzzi. Its on the far east side of town on the main drag. They gave me the room location I wanted as well.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Tim N
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here one night for business recently. Opinions differ, but the quality of the bed (mattress) is one of my primary concerns. I found few items to pick at but this was one of them as I found the mattress to be very, very firm and uncomfortable. The breakfast was also fairly meager with juice that seemed watered down. Not much selection, but enough to get the job done. Other than that, mostly a positive experience. Nice staff (particularly Sunday night). They had a better than average exercise room as to number and types of machines (which I did not get a chance to use). Good TV service, nice desk in the room. Parking was easy and location very convenient. Improve the breakfast and mattresses and I would likely come back. If not, I definitely won't.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Freeagent35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carbondale
Hampton Inn Carbondale
Comfort Inn Marion
#1 of 15 in Marion
Fairfield Inn & Suites Marion
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marion

Been to BEST WESTERN Saluki Inn? Share your experiences!