“Make like a Saluki and Run”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Carbondale
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My son and I were here for a baseball tournament at SIU. Do Not stay here. It's a bad sign when you see police cars sitting at the corner of the street on both sides of the hotel and police freqeuntly driving around the parking lot. The entire place is just disgusting and I'm usually not that picky, it takes days to feel clean again once you leave. Found out from another parent from the team that the Super 8 just down the road was only $9/night higher and much, much nicer.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jason Y

Reviewed May 19, 2014

This hotel is rated 3 1/2 stars on the Choice Hotels website, but I would give it less than a star.

The bathroom and sink vanity area floor was sticky and dirty, the tub was dirty, the armchair upholstery was torn and worn, the bed skirt was torn and hanging down too low causing one to trip. The furniture was very run down, there were spider webs in the corner by the door, there was leftover caked food on the deskchair back, there was a forgotten sock behind the microwave. The microwave was missing the turntable.

The bed was lumpy but the linens were clean if old and worn-out.

We requested a wake-up call and never got it.

Never again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lee L
Reviewed March 6, 2014

People partying in the parking lot until 4 a.m. Cars and people in and out of the parking lot. People yelling and throwing things. Trash everywhere. Never, ever again will I stay here or recomend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Laura F
Reviewed November 22, 2013

All I got to say WOW....what a crappy motel...you hear yelling, screaming, car doors. A woman 2 doors down banging on door.... yeah if I had the power to shut this place down.. water damage on ceiling. Hole on bathroom door. Burn markes on toilet seat. And they didnt leave me coffee... really.... just plan terrible. Do not go here. Plan and simple.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Forbidden19
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel provided a clean and quiet room, comfortable bed, friendly personnel, and a nice and much appreciated work table. Nothing fancy. The refrigerator was also nice to have. I do wish there had been a radio and facial tissues.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel is the absolute worst pig sty of a place you'll ever see and the management are a bunch of crooks. The first room they tried to give us was full of black mold and wall paper was falling off the walls. The second room they tried to give us had splatters of blood on the wall and comforter. The last room we chose looked somewhat clean but then as we slept, we woke up to cockroaches in the room. We ended up sleeping in our car. The next morning we went to complain and cancel our second night. As I was doing so, the kids went to get their complimentary breakfast to only find old donuts and spoiled milk. I'm not kidding, I can't make this stuff up. While cancelling my second night, the owner stated that I couldn't and he was going to charge me. I stayed calm and explained to him that the rooms were unacceptable and that we are finding another hotel. His wife ended up calling the police. The police told me that they come there all the time for things just like this and not to worry. I ended up getting the night credited to me from my credit card company but this place is horrible. It should be shut down and never to open again to this owner. We would not have stayed there if it weren't for everything else being booked for the night. Days Inn corporation should investigate this place and shut it down. Disgusting...

Room Tip: Don't get one..
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dickerson2300
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Never EVER will I stay here again! I am a young married mother of a 6 month old so we are very low budget but I should have spent the extra $10 & left this hotel immediately! The room itself was dirty, I didn't even want to use the toilet or shower. The tv really didn't work & there is no indoor pool anymore. The heater barely worked & the cleaning lady was very rude. She knocked on the door & I said just a minute & she just walked in anyways. Mind you I was still in my pajamas. The motel itself looks like a dump & its full of drunks/druggies. I never got to sleep due to a party going on in the entire motel. There was excessive banging on the walls & my window. On top of people constantly yelling & screaming. Even the lady at the front desk was nasty/frumpy looking. The room smelled of cigarettes even tho it was non smoking. The parking lot was full of un usable vehicles. One even put up on blocks. I would not recommend this hotel to even my worst enemy. It was that bad!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank mommy_to_lilah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carbondale
Quality Inn
#2 of 9 in Carbondale
Super 8 Carbondale
Super 8 Carbondale
#3 of 9 in Carbondale

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!