“Best Hotel Ever!”

Hampton Inn Carbondale
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Carbondale
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My children had a swim meet at SIU-Carbondale for the champs, and we wanted to stay at a hotel not far away. We chose the Hampton Inn, by its look, it was nice. We were booked in the bottom floor; it was close enough to the parking lot. We stayed for a total of four nights. Breakfast, service, and cleanliness, it was great! We have another swim meet at SIU-Carbondale next summer, and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed December 8, 2009

hotel and staff fine, breakfast buffet was great. swimming pool grungy with brown algae, hot tub dingy looking and entire pool room had an odd smell to it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank berfert
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I read some of the negative reviews here and I have to say that I can't relate. My stay was fine in every way. I recently stayed for business and had an uneventful stay. What that means is that the room was quiet, clean and comfortable. I had no problems. I didn't use the pool or fitness area so I have no comment here. The breakfast was normal fare for a Hampton Inn. When I'm in Carbondale, I will stay here again. I might add that the front desk evening clerk was very friendly and helpful. Compared to other hotels in its class, I would say that this hotel gets 4 stars. I only give 5 stars if I have exceptional, out -of-this world experience. So 4 stars is still good.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I stayed here while on a business trip to the area. The room was clean and comfortable. However the air conditioning in the pool area was broke and the heat was unbearable, also there were bugs everywhere around the pool and patio area, and the a biggie is that the wireless internet does not work correctly. I went to the front desk and was given a can of raid to use. I was informed that the although they know that the internet has issues they have no plans to fix this problem currently. Also I was quoted a price for my room and it was raised by almost $30 dollars per night once I arrived. Also after I left someone from Hampton Inn put a second "mistaken" hold on my bank account. The entire issue took a week to fix where these funds in my account were unavailable. Everyone was very nice and the beds were very comfortable and clean, but I would not stay here if you want anything beyond that.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank kungaro2000
Reviewed November 11, 2008

It had been awhile since I had stayed at a Hampton Inn, but the price was right, so I decided on this place while I was in Carbondale on business. I had requested a room with two double beds, but they gave me a king size. Okay, fine. No big deal. Except the bed, and I’m not exaggerating, looked like it had been made by a young child. The pillows were just kind of thrown on it haphazardly, the bedspread was cockeyed on the mattress, and sheets were poking out from underneath. I know what you’re thinking. Did they even clean the room from the last guest? I wondered too, so I called the front desk and was assured that the room had been cleaned, the housekeepers were “just in a hurry” trying to get all the rooms clean. Maybe they’re understaffed? I don’t know, but talk about a bad first impression. The shower was pretty poor, too. The water pressure and the hot water were non-existent. I turned it up as “hot” as it would go, and it never got above lukewarm.

The one saving grace was the breakfast. It was a pretty decent spread, and the lady who managed it was very nice. She remarked that she had worked there for eight years and asked me how my stay was. I told her about the bed. She seemed genuinely sorry and mentioned that she would speak to the housekeeping manager about it.

Upon checkout, the hotel staff wanted to know if I had gotten my receipt (under the door) but did not inquire at all about whether I had enjoyed my stay. Maybe they had already asked that question too many times in the past and didn’t like the responses, so they quit. No matter. I wouldn’t stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 17, 2008

We staid at the Hampton for Homecoming weekend from Friday through Sunday. The staff was friendly but not always at the desk when needed. I waited for at least 15 + minutes to check in at around 6:30pm because the front desk person was off doing something else. I called him on my cell phone to find out where he was. I attribute this to the fact that it seems they only have one employee to cover the front most of the time.
The room was clean. I found the bed to have a bit of a hump in the middle of the mattress but delt with it by adjusting my sleeping position which worked because I had the bed to myself. I wish hotels could sound proof their walls better so guests do not have to listen to what is going on in the next door rooms. Luckily it was quiet most of the night. There is only one elevator in the hotel so it ment waiting for it several times especially in the morning.
The continental breakfast as a whole is not bad. They served a few hot items along with several cold choices. The coffee was OK but the orange juice was terrible.
I would stay here again but I thought the price was a bit high for Carbondale. I understand that many of the hotels in the area increased their prices because it was a big weekend but I don't appreciate the price gouging in general.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2008

I travel to Carbondale once a year for business, and I've stayed at the Hampton in Carbondale the past three years. I am obviously very satisfied with the hotel. My most recent stay, at the beginning of September 2008, lived up to my previous expectations. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the staff is attentive and pleasant. And the "Hampton Bed" is fantastic...the best sleep I've had in months! The included breakfast isn't fantastic, but it is better than average. I highly recommend the Hampton....I'll be back next fall!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carbondale
Best Western Saluki Inn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marion
Drury Inn Marion
Drury Inn Marion
#2 of 15 in Marion

Been to Hampton Inn Carbondale? Share your experiences!