“Perfectly Fine”

Hampton Inn Carbondale
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Carbondale
Reviewed May 19, 2008

My family made arrangements to stay at the Hampton while in Carbondale for a funeral.

Despite the emotional time for us, we had no problems at the property. Rooms were clean and well-maintained. There were vending machines on the every floor. Despite having a convention and a volley boll team staying there, noise was never an issue.

Housekeeping was thorough and went out of their way - when one of our room cards broke, one woman took them downstairs, replaced them, and brought them back.

The breakfast was perfectly fine - fresh fruit, yogurt, donuts, muffins, and hot options were a carb and an egg (pancakes/omlettes, biscuits and gravy/poached eggs). I was well-pleased at the level of cleanliness, esp. of the breakfast bar.

There are several restaurants nearby that are easy to find - and the front desk had several suggestions for types of food such as Mexican that turned out well.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed April 9, 2008

My wife and I stayed here about a month ago while visiting family. We found the hotel staff to be very courteous and friendly. Our room was clean. The hotel has an inside swimming pool and a small workout room. However, it only has cardio machines in it though. The hotel serves breakfast each morning and has a computer room so you can access the internet. We would recommend this hotel for others.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Traveling on business I found the staff at this hotel to be very professional and friendly.

The rooms were on par with the Hampton experience and were clean and well furnished. A very nice touch was a bottle of water, a bag of potato chips and a chocolate mint that was waiting for me in the room as an Hhonors member.

When I saw the bus load of young female athletes arrive I was concerned about the noise level, but there was none. The rooms were well sound insulated and the young ladies were very well behaved.

As a previous reviewers noted, the bathroom floor tile could use a good scrubbing and the breakfast was not the best that I have had at a Hampton, with refrigerator cold biscuits and pastries, but it was "OK".

Overall I would rate this as a very good, but not my best Hampton Inn experience. I would, though, rate my experience with the staff as excellent.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank 808-Haliewa
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed at this Hampton Inn for one night (July 23, 2007) while passing through the area. This was our first trip traveling with a puppy and we choose this hotel because it allowed pets, I had heard some pretty negative things about pet friendly hotels. None of them were true at this hotel. The room was perfect. It did not have any nasty pet smells and we weren't forced to stay in a smoking room just because we had a pet. I felt totally comfortable in the room we were given and I'm a very picky person when it comes to cleanliness.
The room was a very nice size, we didn't feel cramped at all.
We had one very minor problem with the TV and the staff went out of their way to make it okay, even offering to change us to another room. I was surprised at how the manager on duty responded. He definitely wanted to make sure we weren't disappointed with our stay there.
I wish we could have had the same experience the rest of the week as we continued on our vacation.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank pb19
Reviewed October 7, 2006

My daughter and I stopped by this Hampton to see if they had a room available. They were booked solid. The gal at the desk was very helpful in trying to locate another hotel for us. She went above and beyond her duties. ..
Once again, the Hampton and their staff deserve a round of applause!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2006

1) Check-in: The Hampton Inn has a very new, modern look, and it was pleasant to come into a nice, new, clean lobby. We had to wait about 20 minutes for them to get our room ready (even though it was past check-in time), but we got the king-sized bed and non-smoking room we requested at the right rate. They were also very apologetic about the wait. Generally, the staff members were friendly, welcoming, and helpful.

The room itself was large and clean. The bathroom, however, was a little dirty, and the shower looked pretty disgusting; we even went out and bought beach shoes to wear in the shower because we didn't want our feet touching that dirty-looking tile. The shower was really the only thing I found unacceptable.

2) Complimentary breakfast: the breakfast was reasonable, about as good as I would expect for a free breakfast. The "hot option" (eggs and bacon) they offered didn't look appetizing, but at least there were a variety of other options: cereal, fruit, muffins, bagels, toast, donuts, yogurt, etc.

3) Sleep: The beds are a little uncomfortable and the sheets a bit scratchy, but we didn't have any problems with noise from the cars driving by or hotel neighbors.

4) Other features: The free high-speed internet was a great feature; I used it a lot during my stay and was happy I didn't have to pay for it, as many hotels charge $9.99/day for internet access. The "fitness center" is a very small room with 3 cardio machines, and the pool is rather small; we did not use either while we were there. There are no restaurants in the hotel, but Houlihan's and Golden Corral buffet are a short walk away. We did not try either restaurant, but we did stop to look at Houlihan's menu and considered having dinner there.

Summary: it was a pretty nice hotel for Carbondale, and I suspect it might be the nicest option available in the area. I also think it was probably worth the price we paid for it. The best parts for me were the free internet, the large room, and the good customer service. The worst parts were the dirty shower and the slightly uncomfortable bed. I wouldn't mind staying there again, but I also wouldn't be opposed to trying the brand-new Holiday Inn just down the street just because I would prefer a cleaner shower.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank SBrit
Reviewed December 7, 2004

My wife and I stayed a week at the Hampton, and while most of the amenities were okay, some stood out.

Avoid the breakfast buffet at all costs. Both my brother-in-law and I got food poisoning from the sausage patties.

The toilets flush with a deafening roar. Not bad most times, but problematic in the middle of the night.

The walls are generally thick enough to prevent room noise from leaking, but don't keep out the sound of housekeeping's vacuum cleaners.

Frequently in the evenings and early mornings, we'd hear a mysterious clicking that we never did identify.

In spite of this, the beds are comfortable, the showers reasonably powerful, and the staff very nice.

• Stayed: November 2004, traveled on business
13  Thank dsikula
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carbondale
Best Western Saluki Inn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Marion
Drury Inn Marion
Drury Inn Marion
#1 of 15 in Marion

Been to Hampton Inn Carbondale? Share your experiences!