“You have not been to SIU if you have not been here.”
Review of Mary Lou's Grill

Mary Lou's Grill
Ranked #10 of 119 Restaurants in Carbondale
Cuisines: American
Marseilles, Illinois
“You have not been to SIU if you have not been here.”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

They will call you "Hun" or "Honey", "Sweetie, and "darling". It not a put on, it is how these ladies are. They will give you either a half order or a full order of biscuits and gravy, which they have made early that morning and VATS of. It is good. They also have vats of grits. They will only take cash. They only three type of juice, apple, OJ and tomato and white milk and regular and decafe coffee. You will have to ask for water. However it just worth it to be in an old fashion southern café.

• Visited May 2012

Columbus, Ohio
“Family Tradition”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

You will never find another like Mary Lou's. The B&G are the best... AND THEY COME WITH EVERYTHING!!! Most people don't even know they have lunch specials because the breakfast is so off the chain, but they really have some great lunch deals. Each day of the week for a VERY great price you can get the special with a cold plate full of goodies. They have been doing their thing for years... and hopefully years to come.

Visited November 2012
Tinley Park, Illinois
“So. Ill must-do”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I insist you visit Mary Lou's while in carbondale. They have the best breakfast and lunch around. The staff will call you "hunny," "sweetie," and "darlin." The biscuits and gravy are A-MAZ-ING! Try to sit at the bar for a real taste of southern experience.

The fact that they are closed Sunday & Monday, take cash only, and they STILL do a booming business, should clue in on how great this place is.

• Visited May 2012
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
“Great for breakfast”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ate breakfast here four days in a row while staying at the local Super 8 (anyone who has stayed at a Super 8 knows not to eat the complimentary breakfast!). Mary Lou's has been here in Carbondale for years and is well established with a great reputation and loyal clientele. The staff are really friendly and attentive, the coffee is good and the food pretty excellent.

Visited August 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just an average diner”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been to Mary Lou's on several occasions because my father loves it. The first time I went I was put off by the level of noise. I think they had just moved into a new building and had yet to solve this problem because it has since been fixed, but it was really loud. I was also put off by the waitress who felt like she should play my mother when all I ordered my a glass of juice (I don't like eating first thing in the morning but everyone else with me ordered food). She kept trying to get me to order something even if it was just one biscuit and gravy until I finally just told her flat out No, that I don't like sausage gravy. The second time I went I ordered a pancake which came to the table completely black on one side. The last time I ordered a slice of apple pie and it was delicious. I personally wouldn't go there again on my own accord, but like I said my father loves it and the other people I've been there with all liked it so it's probably just me.

• Visited August 2012