“Has gone horrifically downhill”
Review of Thai Taste

Thai Taste
Ranked #5 of 127 Restaurants in Carbondale
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Thai Taste has been proudly serving authentic Thai food alongside contemporary American and Chinese-inspired dishes since 2004! We offer an intimate and comfortable dining experience in the historic New Brush Building in downtown Carbondale and convenient takeout options for customers on the go. Each dish on our menu is a unique family recipe, including our famous Pad Thai and our "Voted #1 in Southern Illinois" chicken wings! We're happy to accommodate all diners, with many dishes having vegetarian and vegan options available. During lunch hours we offer a select menu of our most popular dishes to ensure quick and accurate service. During dinner hours we expand our menu to include all available appetizers, entrees, and desserts. For those 21 and up, don't forget to pair your favorite dish with your favorite drink! We offer both local and craft beers, along with a selection of local wines that are sure to complement your tastes. Thank you for reading a little bit about our restaurant. We hope to serve you soon!
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I used to love going to this place and came at least once a week, sometimes more. However, it seems to me like this place has changed. The service is TERRIBLE. I waited 20 minutes for a refill of water AFTER I had to stop the waitress to ask for it. Then I waiting almost an hour for my food and there were only 2 other tables. Another time I tried ordering take out and my husband had to wait 40 minutes when he got there AFTER the allotted 25 minute wait for soup and some Pad Thai. Not sure what has happened but this place needs to go back to the way they used to be. Maybe the people who left and opened Thai D in Marion took all the talent with them.

1  Thank Pharma20
Tam R, Public Relations Manager at Thai Taste, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2014

Hey Pharma20, we're sorry you had a less than favorable experience with our service a couple of years back. We're working to catch up on different review sites and responding to customer feedback. If we've not had a chance to earn your business since this particular visit love the opportunity to do so!

We greatly appreciate the feedback :)

-Thai Taste

Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have been to this restaurant several times and each time I always ask my "why did I go back?". Yes you are in C'dale and there are few (as in zero) Thai options other than driving to Thai D in Marion (highly recommended btw). The food is really suffering from bland apathy that so often plagues rural US restaurants. It's one of the only other options in town and so people keep going back, meanwhile their tastebuds become accustomed to this lower quality bland and overly sweet Thai food. My recommendation is to drive to Marion and eat at Thai D, yes it's far but worth it. Perhaps Thai D will come to C'dale-that would probably make Thai Taste reevaluate their low quality cooking.

Not sure why Thai Taste insists on putting sugar (or corn syrup??) in everything they prepare. I know Thai dishes can be sweet. After traveling to Thailand I discovered that not all Thai dishes are as sweet as this place prepares them.
For the new people in C'dale (grad students etc) just be forewarned that Thai Taste is about on par with the local Mexican restaurants-bland, but it's what you have to live with (or not). I imagine the owners are resting on their laurels knowing there's no other option.
The low down: A bit greasy and overly sweet, but the only option in C'dale. Price not to bad. A little bit better than the dozens of strip-mall Chinese buffets.

3  Thank guepardo_lento
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I love this restaurant + we always eat here when visiting Southern IL (which is A Lot) I like my Thai really spicy so I order a 9 on a scale from 1 - 10... and they pretty much nail it. Nice + Spicy. We like their soups, curries, noodle dishes. Wish they had a little better wine list but I survive. :)

Reviewed February 4, 2012

I have experience Thai food from Thailand to NYC to Frankfurt. Love it. I was a bit leary when Thai Taste opened in Carbondale, but i love it.

Small place, nice menu....great service. Easy, comfortable, enjoyable. Been many times, will return many more!

Reviewed January 22, 2012

We've been here several times and the quality of the food is very variable. On its best night, the food is mediocre. It tastes like it has been scooped out of a can and mixed with some coconut milk and served up. That's the extent of the chef's preparation.

The menu has very few "authentic Thai" items, and the lunch menu has more Chinese food than Thai. When people say it's the best Thai food in southern Illinois, that must be because there aren't any other Thai restaurants, at least in the Carbondale area.

The service is even more variable than the food. If you like people mopping with strong bleach right next to your table while you're trying to finish your meal, or having wait stafff that alternates between surly and inattentive, then this is the place for you!

1  Thank flotantqueen