“Great value winter break” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bluestone National Park Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canaston Wood
Bluestone National Park Resort
Cardiff, UK
“Great value winter break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We went to Bluestone a couple of weeks ago on the 'under 5s inclusive' deal they were running. It was an absolute bargain - £99 for 4 nights midweek for 2 adults and a toddler (would have covered another child as well) including breakfast in the Yard for all and buffet meals for our daughter in the wild wood cafe (adventure centre) at lunch time and Yard in evening. Will definitely look out for a good deal like this next winter!

We stayed in a cottage in the village centre, which was a really high standard of accomodation, well equipped (stairgates, dish washer, some washing up liquid, cloths and dishwasher tablets provided, range of pots and pans, knives etc - but some obvious things missing, e.g. chopping board - seems strange to have a cafetiere and toast rack, but no chopping board!). it was more spacious that you might expect for a cottage and great for anyone who has breakfast included, as really close to restaurants. I wouldn't stay in a cottage in the summer though, as no outside space. Also, if we weren't on the inclusive deal, being in a lodge higher up, and therefore closer to the Blue Lagoon, adventure centre and car park would probably be better. No mobile reception at all, so warn people they won't be able to contact you!

The site is lovely - well presented, peaceful (but I suppose in January we saw it at its quietest) and lovely views. More limited range of things to do than centre Parcs, but also a lot smaller, and I think there would be more on in high season. Very hilly, which I think would put some off. We took bikes and hired a trailer for our daughter (which my husband kept having to mess with as did'lt fit very securely, but that might just be his bike - probably Ok if you using their bikes). I don't cycle often so found the hills hard but my husband was fine, and enjoyed a ride in the woods off site one morning as well. Took my daughter's pushchair to get her up to the adventure centre and blue lagoon when not using bikes, even though she rarely goes in it now she is 3, and glad we did. passed lots of people struggling with tired toddlers trying to walk up the hills. Would definitely recommend hiring a golf buggy or using the minbus if you are not very fit or want to get anywhere quickly!

There was lots for a 3 year old to do - variety in the adventure centre (my daughter isn't really one for the big play centres, but loved crazy golf and the lego room) and a great new under 5s playzone called the Circus room which was great - toys and soft play with some free play and some free organised activities by great friendly staff. I think I heard this was just a temporary thing though, which is a shame as lovely for the younger ones who can't do as much in the main adventure centre. The staff from this also did some low key entertainment in the wildwood cafe at lunch time and Yard at tea time.

The blue lagoon was great - lovely and warm, lazy river which takes you outside, range of slides, paddling pool with activities. My only complaint there is the small number of baby changing cubicles given it is a family place (people were queuing for them one day at their quietest time of year). Also, although it was not too busy when we went, I would worry that with the public using it as well as residents, it could get very busy indeed in high season, especially on a rainly day - it didn;t seem big enough for both! The main thing that was missing for children was outside play equipment - just one slide in the village centre. I would expect a nice play area in such an outdoorsy place. it would put me off going in the summer with small children.

We paid for one children's activity - the mini beast hunt, which was great - only 2 families booked on so with 2 members of staff for an hour and a craft activity at the end , it was good value for £4. I booked 2 hours in the thermal suite, whihc I thought was a bit over priced for what was there, but nice and relaxing.

The food was variable - we wouldn't have eaten out as much if we hadn't had the inclusive offer. We paid to eat with out daughter in the evenings twice and lunch time once. The Yard worked out Ok value for us as we like our food so make the most of a buffet, but a bit overpriced if you don't like to pig out as much, as the quality was average. As other reviewers have said, they don't seem to believe in vegetables much! And the children's food was very repetitive - same stuff in lunch time buffet as evening - good job they could also try the adult food in the evening or my daughter would have turned into a potato wedge! We also weren't warned that even though our daughter was all inclusive we should have booked for evening meals - they only just squeezed her in one night. Breakfast buffet was good, but the self serivce toaster barely warmed the bread and there was a large queue to use it every day. The wildwood cafe seemed overpriced for what it was the one time the adults ate there. If we hadn't had the inclusive offer, it looked like the bakery had nice things for lunches.

Overall, a lovely relaxing holiday with friendly staff and a beautiful place. We were gutted to have to go home a day early because we were worried about travellling in the snow forecast for the Friday (rightly so it turned out). I would recommend and go back, if I could get a good price again, but a few niggles stopped it being 5*.

3 Thank CardiffCat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Newport, South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have just spent a week (Mon-Fri) in Bluestone, had a lovely relaxing week. It had been a bit snowy and rainy but not too bad, wellies are very handy though!! We stayed in a Caldey in Pentre Ifon, the location is very good esp if you have a 3 yr old toddler, it is close to the adventure centre and the blue lagoon. We have an all inclusive deal which includes buffet breakfast and lunch or dinner. It also includes 2 hour thermal spa and I had a complimentary 30 min treatment (I chose neck back and shoulder massage - which was heavenly). All this only costs just over £100 as it was a special deal. As it's winter time now, a lot of local places such as Folly Farm (opens in weekends) and Tenby dinasaur park are closed. But we have family who live in Narberth so it was ok.
FOOD - Buffet breakfast was great, hot and cold, we always managed to get a table no problems, but by the end of the week, I was a bit sick of sight of sausages and bacon!! Great to have a good breakfast though as it lasted us the whole day until dinner time. They need to buy a new toaster though!! We went to the Yard for buffet dinner most evenings, food was plentiful and average. There is a bit for children too with usual sausages, nuggets, baked beans etc. Taste of the orient was good, basically a curry night but it was good standard. We didn't go for the BBQ night as we were told there wouldn't be any table until after half 7, so we went to the Tavern pub instead and had lovely pub food there - we had seafood platter, scampi and sausage and mash then a dessert. Pembrokeshire night was good, carvery food as well as some local cuisine such as chicken cooked in broth and baked apple and sultanas and baked pears in mulled wine. I would like to have a bit more veg though, felt like I have had far too much meat in this holiday!! Italian night was disappointing. Pizzas don't look very appealing but lasagne was lovely. For most night, we booked our table for 7pm, we usually got there just after 6 and they sat us down no problems, looked quiet! Although the buffet dinner was nice, but I don't think I would have paid £15 per adult to eat it though!
LODGE - Very spacious and comfortable, bed very comfy. Toddler slept in twin room no problems. I would take a little night light next time though as it was very dark when all lights were off. I had the toilet light on just in case he woke up. No bath (but I knew that from the website), don't think I would recommend it if you have a little one as you would have to have a shower together as there is no way you would be kept dry after washing them! I also found the wet room a bit messy, water gets everywhere (I am a bit OCD) but the heated rail and underfloor heating fab. There was a bit of mildew on wall tiles, apart from that, all look lovely and clean. But having stayed in Center Parc a few times (Longleat), I feel that the interior finish is slightly better in center parc, esp those newly refurbished lodges. Lovely kitchen but we didn't have to do any cooking (thank goodness)
BLUE LAGOON & ADVENTURE CENTRE - Fab for little ones, we had a lot of fun there! The cafe in the adventure centre also looks great, although we didn't eat there.
SPA - just heavenly. So relaxing, smells lovely everywhere. My massage was fab, I could have stayed there all day!
All in all, a great holiday which didn't cost a bomb. Would definitely go back again, but maybe when it's a bit warmer!

Room Tip: Pentre Ifon is great as it is near the car park and blue lagoon and he adventure centre. You will n...
1 Thank Bubble818
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Bluestone is a great place to have a UK holiday. Apart from the Welsh rain, the area is lovely, close to beaches and the setting of the lodges is lovely. I have been to Bluestone 3 times and always found the accomodation to be clean, and the beds comfortable !

My few areas where I believe there is room for improvement are:

1. The swimming pool is open to the public, which often means it is too crowded and there are no free changing rooms and the queues to the slides are too long. This did not seem to be a problem on my previous visits, and is now a big issue.

2. I appreciate this is not a caravan park, but there is little or no effort to provide any "entertainment" in the evenings, for adults or children. I stayed at Bluestone in peak season with another family, and on some evenings we were the only people in the Tafarn after 9.30pm. On two occasions, two of the staff at the Tafarn sat at the table next to us drying the knives and forks talking loudly, which does not create a good atmosphere. The number of people in the Tafarn increased 10-fold during the pub quiz. We called the bar "the moon bar", as it was empty and lacked atmosphere.

3. Bar and food prices are a bit too expensive.

4. If it is pouring with rain, it is not really practical to walk with children from the far side of the park to the car park. Bluestone should either build another car park or improve the onsite bus service. The onsite mini bus (which leaks and is dented / rusty) reminds me of being on a school trip, does not run frequently, and the "bus stops" are not covered.

Despite all of this, I still think Bluestone is great, and will be going back later this year !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank daphris
Oswestry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

First time at Bluestone after being recommended by a friend. We arrived very late on Friday evening and immediately became frustrated as it isnt very well lit and we didnt know where we were going although were given a map (orienteering isnt my forte though!) We stayed in a cottage in the centre and it was clean, warm and modern (although the motion-sensitive lighting in the stairwell didnt last very long - it became a race to get up the stairs before the lights went out!) Tea making facilities were provided and there was adequate heating. Overall, we were delighted with the place - there was lots of things to do for both adults and kids. The buffet-style pub was ok - customer service was VERY slow although the staff were generally lovely and helpful. We hired bikes, used the spa, and visited the blue lagoon. We went at Halloween/Bonfire night and there was plenty of themed activities to do, if you're that way inclined. The only thing is there is zero reception down in the centre and so you have to go on the hills, but if you want a weekend away from it all, this is ideal! Highly recommended - loved it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flowjoey
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Second time to Bluestone - last time was spoilt by the significant number of cars on site, but must say, this was not an issue on this occasion. Enjoyed our stay, kids had a great time. Carreg Las was amazing food, our other options on the Fri and Sun (other than pub) was buffet, not our style so we chose to eat in on these occasions, but the lodge provides well so not an issue.
Accommodation - great living space, well equiped, warm, quiet - beds could be more comfortable, our bed was pretty hard and after three nights, I was relieved I was not staying another night
Customer Service - is ok. But only ok. I would not put it at 5 star quality. It is not that the staff are unhelpful or rude, but they lack in friendliness and warmth, which ultimately does not make you feel 'really' welcome or that they are pleased to see you. I found this particularly so in the Knights Tavern and on arrival (we paid for early check in) when the staff made us wait while they emptied the linen from the other lodges, despite having the opportunity to let us pass and get to our accommodation which took approx 10 minutes. I know these are not major issues, but it spoils the overall experience...
Booking beware - they quote the following "Remember to book early to get the best accommodation prices" - which is what we did, but then ended up paying £150 more than we needed to when all of the prices for lodges plummetted. No price difference promise like Centre Parcs, so I would say if you can afford to take the risk and do a last minute job, then it could work in your advantage particularly in the winter months! We wont be falling for it again!
Generally - had a great time and would return (if the price was right)! The other thing that I really do think Bluestone ought to get right is the lightling around the park, particularly the walk from the Blue Lagoon to the buggy park - it is a disgrace as you cannot see the path which is also fairly uneven, sort it out Bluestone! I also counted approx 4 lights which were 'out' along that route which is a straightforward maintainence issue...

1 Thank Lawee_R
North Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our party of four adults stayed in a Caldey 2 bedroomed lodge. The lodge was very clean on arrival and we were given a starter pack of dishwasher tablets, washing up liquid, cloths etc. We were impressed by the quality of equipment - Sabatier knives, Bosch toaster, Smeg dishwasher. There was a good range of crockery, saucepans and utensils. The heating systemin the lodge was very effective and we were able to keep it lovely and warm despite it being very cold outside.

We used the Blue Lagoon swimming complex on three occasions. I would recommend that you try and use it before 11 a.m when it is open exclusively to Bluestone guests as it is much less crowded then before it opens to the general public. There are 4 flumes within the pool and these are well monitored by staff to ensure safe use.

We mainly self catered but did go to The Yard on Saturday evening. The cost of this was £14.95 per person for an all you can eat buffet which we considered was reasonable value.

We were lucky enough to have a weekend of cold but dry weather so were able to enjoy walking around the site and on the beach at nearby Saundersfoot. There are limited indoor activities for adults available on site so we may have struggled had the weather been wet. To this end I think Bluestone would benifit from creating a small sports hall to improve the range of wet weather activities ( maybe badminton, table tennis, skittle alley) that are available.

Tremadog
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We've been before and we'll go again. There's so much for the kids to do and if the kids are happy, the adults are happy too.

Positives - great site with no cars allowed so kids can run about, blue lagoon hours of entertainment, the adventure centre is superb, accommodation is great, shop and pubs offer good meals if needed, staff are helpful and friendly.

Negatives - accommodation could have been a little bit cleaner, mattresses and pillows where a bit cheap and nasty, the pub and restaurants although very convenient the food is a bit average (we noticed this last time too), there may well be better restaurants in Narberth but you'll need a taxi home. Not sure there's much attraction for people without children.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Slebech Park
Slebech Park
#3 of 7 in Haverfordwest
Premier Inn Haverfordwest (North/A40) Hotel

Been to Bluestone National Park Resort? Share your experiences!