“Nice view of the confluence of the rivers, but nothing else is there.”
Review of Fort Defiance Park

Fort Defiance Park
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Cairo
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went to Ft Defiance because we enjoy visiting Civil War sites and the fact that it was the joining point of two rivers. Wanted my grand child to be able to put their feet in both rivers. This area is in poor shape. We could drive along the road and park. We were the only people there, but there was plenty of evidence that people go fishing in this area.

The grass has grown up,particularly in the area where it looks like RVs and campsites were. There is a nice plaque describing the fact that Lewis and Clark camped there for 5 days, but if I hadn't walk to the front of the sculpture I would never had seen it. We did get down to the Mississppi, but there is a lot of flood debris in the way.

On the way out we did stop and read the signs in the parking lot at what is suppose to be a rest stop/museum. Did not stop at museum.

I would visit again for the scenic aspect of it, but would make sure there a couple of other people with me.

1  Thank ncsearch
"humbling"
"tower"
"platform"

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I enjoyed our walk to the very end of Illinois, closed, as it was, to vehicle traffic due to flooding. The floods had receded, though, and we could tell that it would make a great location for festivals or family reunions, and there would be ample camping if it were being maintained, which it doesn't appear to be. There's a couple of plaques annotating the site's history, and a neat raised platform in the shape of a paddleboat from which to see the confluence. I'm glad we stopped, we got to nerd out a little bit, but I totally understand what the other reviewers are saying about how unnerving the place seems to be.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, or to go back, but since we had decided to drive through Cairo anyway, it made sense to stop.

1  Thank gswedberg57
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The title says it all. Like the town of Cairo it is neglected and not particularly safe. Also like Cairo its very existence seems in defiance of reality.

1  Thank SwampeastMike
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I visited historic Fort Defiance Park on Bird Point where the Ohio and Mississippi rivers come together. It is the site of a lot of American history. Meriwether Lewis and his crew camped here in 1803 on their way to rendezvous with Wm. Clark for their famous transcontinental trip. Regrettable, the facilities are run down and the park was generally in a state of disrepair.The view of the confluence of muddy Mississippi and Ohio rivers hasn't changed much since my first visit 60 years ago.

1  Thank Gary W
See more reviews
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Fort Defiance Park holds such significance in the history of this great country. Our family visits each time we are either in southern Illinois or western Ky. I was greatly saddened last year to see how the park has deteriorated. There was little mowing, the flooding had taken a serious toll and it seems few now care about this wonderful park and the part it has played in history. Lewis and Clark spent time there before their historic expedition to the Pacific. I sincerely hope Cairo and the surrounding area will find money and volunteers to restore this park and keep it looking visitable.

3  Thank Marguerite A