“Avoid this place at all costs!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cahokia
Pasadena, California
“Avoid this place at all costs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2006

I knew this might have been a mistake when I got off the freeway and saw the "city" of Cahokia. To call this a one horse town would be one horse too many. I have never seen a greater collection of misfits and a greater lack of things to do/places to eat/etc. in one city in my life. I was especially thrilled to see the man relieving himself in the parking lot then getting back into his truck. I was traveling from Chicago to St. Louis to see a Cardinals game, and decided to save some money by staying in this city close to St. Louis. Don't make my same mistake.

For starters, the hotel appeared fine. It had a decent lobby with computer (where I sit now typing this review), a large breakfast room for the free continental breakfast and a swimming pool (which I have not used). The gym left a lot to be desired consisting of one elliptical trainer, a broken treadmill and an antique rowing machine. I was also less than thrilled at the giant cockroach greeting me in the gym bathroom sink. We told the girl at the front desk, but the IQ challenged clerk did not respond with "thank you for letting me know," "I'll take care of that," "I'm sorry to hear that," or any other expected response. She just stood there with her mouth agape staring at us.

As for the room itself, it was large with a sitting area and two queen beds. It seemed okay on first glance, but then on closer inspection was less than adequate. It had mold growing on the shower curtain, leading us to wonder whether we should drench the bathroom floor to avoid having to be in the same tub as the filthy plastic. The advertised "free internet" was useless as my computer would not connect. (It isn't my computer, which worked fine at the hotel in Chicago only that morning). I asked to try another room as I needed my computer for business purposes, and it did not connect in that room either. I finally gave up and began using the one downstairs each day.

The cherry on top of the sundae of a room was the cockroach hanging out in our bathroom. I'm not sure if he was dead, lost from his friend in the gym, or just bold enough to dare us to run away instead of him. I just hope his buddies don't accompany us back to Chicago. Needless to say, there is little point in telling the girl at the front desk about this roach, since she was less than effective in dealing with the last one.

I really wish I had discovered this website before we booked this reservation. Reading what others had to say about this hotel would have saved us some misery. Hopefully my review will do that for you.

• Stayed July 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank StaciB11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2006

We stayed in June of 2005. We enjoyed our stay here the room were nice, bathroom clean. We a little concerned because of area but was safe had room on first floor. Breakfast was average not biggie it was free. If going to six flags, go to grocery store across street for discount tickets. I would recommend this hotel. The gym was ok, as was the pool. Very queit and easy access to interstate.

• Stayed June 2005
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2005

After making reservation at this hotel, I read the above comments and I was concerned. We have several small children and were going to be staying there for a little vacation while visiting St Louis. However, when we arrived we were very pleased with this hotel. It was very clean, the rooms were very spacious, the pool was perfect for small children, there was a nice size fridge in our room, and there is a Walmart and a grocery store nearby. The breakfast was served from 6-10 am and had a nice variety of things to pick from. I was told when checking out that the hotel had just replaced all of the carpet, beds, chairs, etc.

The pool was very small, but perfect for young children. 3' deep in the shallow end and 5' in the deep end.

It was nice to be very close to downtown St Louis without having to worry about the parking fees at the hotels downtown. Everywhere we visited downtown (arch, city museum, savvis Center, etc) were all within 5-10 minutes of the Holiday Inn Express.

I would and will definitely stay there again when I visit St Louis.

• Stayed August 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2005

Dirty, smelly rooms. Staff was dumb ... no make that stupid! They couldn't figure out how their reservation system worked!!.
My wake-up call came about 1/2 hour late!! The continental breakfast is a joke!!!! And of course, they could NOT get the billing correct, with an AARPdiscount!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2004

I stay more than 50 nights a year in hotels. Almost exclusively at Holiday Inns. Probably the worst Holiday Inn expresss. I have stayed at. Dirty walls and carpet. In a very poor part of town. Loud and obnoxious guests. Got a wake up call out of the blue at 12:30 in the morning. When I called the front desk to make sure it didn't happen again he said "I don't know what to tell you about that" Generally poort staff, although the maid was nice.

Not recommended...stay at another St. Louis area Holiday Inn..I wish I would have.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahokia
Forest Park
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Louis / Forest Park
BEST WESTERN St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
The Hill
Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!