“Avoid it!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cahokia
Muscatine, IA
“Avoid it!!”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Very disappointing for a Holiday Inn. 1 star places are better than this. Very old and dirty. Bed and pillows in bad shape. Carpet torn in places and full of stains. Horrible service.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I don't think this hotel started life as a Holiday Inn Express, but has been remodeled at some point. Everything looked a bit worn and tired. There were several out of order signs on various things like the pool, etc.

The room was ok, rather dated and a bit dirty. It was obvious the maids don't make it into the corners or close to furniture. The shower bar was bent down so low that about 5 inches of the shower curtain lay on the floor of the tub where it had major mildew. The curtain must not have been changed in sometime, as there was a large splash of plaster on it from a past repair. This would have crumbled off in the laundry.

Strange of all was the desk that blocked half the hallway (see pictures). There was about 15" of space to get through, which was certainly possible, but still rather odd. I don't get it.

The neighborhood was lower middle class and I was advised that if the parking lot was full, I should park at the supermarket nearby as they have security cameras. There is a Wal-Mart next door, and some fast food places in driving distance. I wouldn't recommend walking alone in the neighborhood.

I often find that hotels that are out of touch with their business travelers don't have Diet Coke in all their vending machines. I know this might sound like a strange measurement, but I swear it holds true about 95% of the time. And I'm in about 150 different hotels a year. So, that said, no surprise that this was a Coke free zone. :-(

Overall, I was expecting what we all think of as a Holiday Inn Express... and I got something closer to a Days Inn.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
shiloh, il
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Decent facility, but the staff was dishonest and incompetent.

Stayed October 2007
Memphis
Reviewed July 19, 2007

This stay would have been excellent if the bathroom had been clean. The rooms were very large, looked new, nice beds,and the staff was pleasant. There was hair around the toilet and candy under the sink when we checked in. I don't know if they own a mop or vacuum cleaner. I cleaned the toilet myself and when we checked out after two days the floor was still dirty in the bathroom. It was just unkept but not filthy and no bugs.They need to hire a cleaning crew and the rooms will be perfect. The location is great, just over the bridge from St. Louis and the people at the desk are happy to give written directions and maps. The price is right and breakfast is great to be free. I was there last night and would stay there again if in the area.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank JoTav
Pasadena, California
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I knew this might have been a mistake when I got off the freeway and saw the "city" of Cahokia. To call this a one horse town would be one horse too many. I have never seen a greater collection of misfits and a greater lack of things to do/places to eat/etc. in one city in my life. I was especially thrilled to see the man relieving himself in the parking lot then getting back into his truck. I was traveling from Chicago to St. Louis to see a Cardinals game, and decided to save some money by staying in this city close to St. Louis. Don't make my same mistake.

For starters, the hotel appeared fine. It had a decent lobby with computer (where I sit now typing this review), a large breakfast room for the free continental breakfast and a swimming pool (which I have not used). The gym left a lot to be desired consisting of one elliptical trainer, a broken treadmill and an antique rowing machine. I was also less than thrilled at the giant cockroach greeting me in the gym bathroom sink. We told the girl at the front desk, but the IQ challenged clerk did not respond with "thank you for letting me know," "I'll take care of that," "I'm sorry to hear that," or any other expected response. She just stood there with her mouth agape staring at us.

As for the room itself, it was large with a sitting area and two queen beds. It seemed okay on first glance, but then on closer inspection was less than adequate. It had mold growing on the shower curtain, leading us to wonder whether we should drench the bathroom floor to avoid having to be in the same tub as the filthy plastic. The advertised "free internet" was useless as my computer would not connect. (It isn't my computer, which worked fine at the hotel in Chicago only that morning). I asked to try another room as I needed my computer for business purposes, and it did not connect in that room either. I finally gave up and began using the one downstairs each day.

The cherry on top of the sundae of a room was the cockroach hanging out in our bathroom. I'm not sure if he was dead, lost from his friend in the gym, or just bold enough to dare us to run away instead of him. I just hope his buddies don't accompany us back to Chicago. Needless to say, there is little point in telling the girl at the front desk about this roach, since she was less than effective in dealing with the last one.

I really wish I had discovered this website before we booked this reservation. Reading what others had to say about this hotel would have saved us some misery. Hopefully my review will do that for you.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank StaciB11
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed June 19, 2006

We stayed in June of 2005. We enjoyed our stay here the room were nice, bathroom clean. We a little concerned because of area but was safe had room on first floor. Breakfast was average not biggie it was free. If going to six flags, go to grocery store across street for discount tickets. I would recommend this hotel. The gym was ok, as was the pool. Very queit and easy access to interstate.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 12, 2005

After making reservation at this hotel, I read the above comments and I was concerned. We have several small children and were going to be staying there for a little vacation while visiting St Louis. However, when we arrived we were very pleased with this hotel. It was very clean, the rooms were very spacious, the pool was perfect for small children, there was a nice size fridge in our room, and there is a Walmart and a grocery store nearby. The breakfast was served from 6-10 am and had a nice variety of things to pick from. I was told when checking out that the hotel had just replaced all of the carpet, beds, chairs, etc.

The pool was very small, but perfect for young children. 3' deep in the shallow end and 5' in the deep end.

It was nice to be very close to downtown St Louis without having to worry about the parking fees at the hotels downtown. Everywhere we visited downtown (arch, city museum, savvis Center, etc) were all within 5-10 minutes of the Holiday Inn Express.

I would and will definitely stay there again when I visit St Louis.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahokia
Best Western St. Louis Inn
Hotel Avyan
#91 of 120 in Saint Louis
The Hill
Red Roof Inn Plus St Louis-Forest Park/Hampton Avenue

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!