“Good and bad”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halland
Bognor
“Good and bad”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have just returned from a planned 2 night stay using a groupon voucher. First, the good bits!
Friendly welcome with a delicious afternoon tea...warm scones with cream and jam, chocolate cake and coffee. Eaten by a lovely warm log fire in a tastefully decorated dining room! The bedrooms are in an american style motel block accessed by stairs away from the main reception. Our room was large, very clean with a somewhat dated but ok ensuite and a regular sized comfortable bed. Kettle and coffee /tea facilities were fine! We went out and returned late evening and then discovered that the walls were incredibly thin. People coming up the stairs to the room next to ours sounded as if they were in our room and everytime the people beow us used the toilet/ moved about we heard it. Our neighbours were talking at a fairly quiet level into the night and we could hear every word. Traffic, despite thick curtains, was very noisy. A terrible night's sleep. In the morning we went down to breakfast and the usual cereals, yoghurt, juice were available. You ordered your egg choice but then had to collect it from the breakfast bar and select the rest of your full english. This lead to chaos as nobody really understood the system and a whole gang of visiting workmen unknowingly took everyone elses eggs and most of the sausages/bacon/beans!!! The waitress was running around trying to help but there was a long wait for everything and you had to pounce on your egg before anyone else!!! Having said that the quality of the food was high when eventually you had it! After thoroughly enjoying our day out on returning to the hotel that evening we decided to check out before our second night because we really couldn't face such a disturbed night. We explained our reasons for leaving and were told that there was going to be party that night so we made an even more hasty retreat All in all, if you are deep sleepers you would have a great stay, but otherwise go elsewhere.

Room Tip: One with no one next to you!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
kent,uk
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night,had dinner and breakfast. Having read some of the reviews, we were pleasantly surprised. The room was well decorated and clean. Free view tv, which worked well. Lots of fluffy towels, and bathroom was fully stocked.piping hot water for showers, and the bath. Tea and coffee facilities could have been better in fact had I known, I would have brought my own....the bar area looks like it has had a makeover, and they have done the decor very sympathetically. Real fire and comfy settees in the bar and loads of tables in the restaurant. free WiFi is available in the bar area. We enjoyed the food, there is a carvery which looked lovely,but we ate off then menu and we enjoyed our meal. Breakfast was choice of cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt and cooked English breakfast,which was not greasy at all.
The only downside was that we had no phone service whatsoever( we are on Vodafone), and it would have been helpful to have had WiFi in our room too. Be warned ....if you use Colins cabs....he charges you from his house, not where he picks you up from......think our 1.5mile journey cost £9.00..... Altogether we would go back again,and found the staff very helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Having read some bad reviews on Halland Forge, I was a bit worried. But my daughter and I could not find any faults with our one night stay, except perhaps that the room was a bit cold when we first arrived as most of the windows were open and the radiator was off but we quickly rectified that. The room was newly furnished and clean, all the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly - one even used her own mobile to find us a taxi. The breakfast was excellent. Great value for money.

• Stayed January 2013
Kent, England
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed using a Groupon voucher between Christmas and New Year. We booked for my husband and I and 2 teenage children who stayed in a separate room. On arrival we were given 2 double rooms but when asked if we could change one of the rooms to a twin room they immediately changed my children's room. Both the rooms had been recently decorated and were fairly spacious. The main building which houses the bar and restaurant had a lovely log fire burning with comfortable sofas. We had a gorgeous cream tea with very fresh large warm scones - the best scones I have had, homemade cake and sandwiches. We had dinner in the restaurant which was again part of the deal but looking at the menu it appeared value for money.
My only criticism was the bed was uncomfortable causing my husband and I to roll into the middle of the bed!!
Overall it was a lovely break

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sussex
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Visited on a Groupon offer - and have to admit we were a little apprehensive after reading mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. We received a very friendly welcome and to our relief we had been allocated a top floor room. Once unpacked we returned to the hotel lounge where we sat around a lovely log fire . The cream tea was enormous - in fact too generous. Clotted cream, an enormous warm fruit scone sandwiches,cakes, a pot of tea and a glass of Champagne. The evening meal was delicious - again a very large portion of meat with loads of fresh vegetables,steaming hot.
Breakfast in the morning was equally as large - first day it was served and the second day was buffet. The bacon and sausages were good quality accompanied by grilled fresh tomatoes,B.Beans,mushrooms , fried bread,poached eggs,toast etc.
The second night we visited the pub over the road for a piping hot bowl of homemade soup ( we were too full for another large meal)
My only complaint - if I would make one is that the dining area was cold as there is no central heating .Also our room was chilly even though the radiator was belting out heat because it had four exterior walls and it was the coldest night of the year to date. Sound proofing isnt great in the rooms ,but I always carry earplugs in case as a light sleeper.
Would I return ? - in a flash if the deal was repeated.

Room Tip: Top floor as floors creak - which would drive you nutty if below.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
West Sussex
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was sceptical anyway after reading the reviews on here! We were bought this as a gift, although I wouldn’t give this as a gift to my worst enemy!

It started with us arriving and waiting at the reception desk whilst the staff stood in the bar area and occasionally stared up at us and walking off. We decided to ring the bell to which a very rude man shouted at us “can you just wait a minute” he was clearly very busy standing there doing nothing! A lady then came and dealt with us, nothing friendly about the service here! A very large man then strolled up to her and they talked between them and he didn’t even acknowledge us being there. She told us our room number and said we could eat between certain times and that was that. I had to ask where our room was and she pointed towards the woods across the car park! The room was ok, nothing special, the majority of the light switches didn’t work and the way they had wallpapered over the plug holes was especially nice!

We decided to attempt the afternoon tea. We were brought over a plate each of stale sandwiches, pre-bought cake and a scone that had been heated in the microwave, we knew it had been as the condensation was still on the plate and my fiancée enjoyed a luke warm cup of coffee. This came with some rather face churning “bubbly”!! It doesn’t help when none of the staff seem to speak much English or even know what’s going on! After enduring this for just as long as we could stand we decided to leave, we didn’t stay for dinner or even the night! Overall it was terrible, the nicest thing about the experience was the drive out of the car park! How they can advertise this as £161 I don’t know, I wouldn’t pay £1. If you still stay here after reading all the bad reviews more fool you!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sussexholidays

Travelers are raving about these Halland hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I had a 2 night Groupon stay 2. Large Car Park! Motel style accommodation which we had no problem with. 1st Floor newly refurbished room really good size, flat screen TV, lots of storage space. Bed was the most comfortable I've slept on for ages. Fully lined curtains so we weren't disturbed in the morning by the light. Nice bathroom with good quality hygiene products. Afternoon Tea, presented on individual plate usual fare, sandwiches could have been slightly better, bread a bit dry. Cakes OK, included in the offer good value, however would not have been overly impressed if purchasing as a treat. Evening meal good but would not have paid £20 which was the value claimed. Thoroughly enjoyed breakfast. Hotel proprieters were very nice and helpful and we did feel they wanted us to enjoy our stay, the other staff were also very nice. We enjoyed our stay, as bed and breakfast accommodation I would find it preferable to other motel style establishments, I prefer the human contact and facilities being available on site.

Room Tip: Top floor newly refurbished rooms, the clock wallpaper on the wall behind the bed may not be too eve...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halland
Pelham House
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted
The Boship Lions Hotel
The Boship Lions Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lower Dicker

Been to The Forge? Share your experiences!