“Where to start …”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Halland
West Sussex
“Where to start …”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was sceptical anyway after reading the reviews on here! We were bought this as a gift, although I wouldn’t give this as a gift to my worst enemy!

It started with us arriving and waiting at the reception desk whilst the staff stood in the bar area and occasionally stared up at us and walking off. We decided to ring the bell to which a very rude man shouted at us “can you just wait a minute” he was clearly very busy standing there doing nothing! A lady then came and dealt with us, nothing friendly about the service here! A very large man then strolled up to her and they talked between them and he didn’t even acknowledge us being there. She told us our room number and said we could eat between certain times and that was that. I had to ask where our room was and she pointed towards the woods across the car park! The room was ok, nothing special, the majority of the light switches didn’t work and the way they had wallpapered over the plug holes was especially nice!

We decided to attempt the afternoon tea. We were brought over a plate each of stale sandwiches, pre-bought cake and a scone that had been heated in the microwave, we knew it had been as the condensation was still on the plate and my fiancée enjoyed a luke warm cup of coffee. This came with some rather face churning “bubbly”!! It doesn’t help when none of the staff seem to speak much English or even know what’s going on! After enduring this for just as long as we could stand we decided to leave, we didn’t stay for dinner or even the night! Overall it was terrible, the nicest thing about the experience was the drive out of the car park! How they can advertise this as £161 I don’t know, I wouldn’t pay £1. If you still stay here after reading all the bad reviews more fool you!!

3 Thank sussexholidays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I had a 2 night Groupon stay 2. Large Car Park! Motel style accommodation which we had no problem with. 1st Floor newly refurbished room really good size, flat screen TV, lots of storage space. Bed was the most comfortable I've slept on for ages. Fully lined curtains so we weren't disturbed in the morning by the light. Nice bathroom with good quality hygiene products. Afternoon Tea, presented on individual plate usual fare, sandwiches could have been slightly better, bread a bit dry. Cakes OK, included in the offer good value, however would not have been overly impressed if purchasing as a treat. Evening meal good but would not have paid £20 which was the value claimed. Thoroughly enjoyed breakfast. Hotel proprieters were very nice and helpful and we did feel they wanted us to enjoy our stay, the other staff were also very nice. We enjoyed our stay, as bed and breakfast accommodation I would find it preferable to other motel style establishments, I prefer the human contact and facilities being available on site.

Room Tip: Top floor newly refurbished rooms, the clock wallpaper on the wall behind the bed may not be too eve...
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Where do i start?! Those who have stayed here giving it anything more than a rating of 2 I am extremely suspicious of to begin with. This was one of the worst experiences of staying anywhere for me for some time. To give you some context too, i am your average person, not a rich person who stays in 4 and 5 star luxury usually, but i know what i like and dont like and dont mind paying a little extra for good service/products at times.

Anyway, lets start - this was a present from friends via the Groupon voucher most people seem to have spoken about on here, that included Afternoon Tea, Overnight Stay, Dinner & Breakfast. As a result, we were naturally very thankful for not even having to pay for this in the first place and it is the thought that counts, however upon arrival early afternoon in anticipation of a nice relaxed day, we walk in to reception to be greeted by an 80th birthday party with what i can only describe as a 2 star version of Chas & Dave playing Guitar and Casio Keyboard while some old people eat food and have a little dance. Now im all for anyone, old or young, having a nice time and somewhere to celebrate a birthday, but this wasnt expected. We did of course ask where the afternoon tea would be held, assuming it would be away from all this....yep you guessed it, it was in the same area as the Birthday party! Not a good start. Then we were told we could only have the tea between 3:15 and 5:15, and dinner was only between 6:00 and 8:00. Those timings are not exactly ideal, and so slightly disgruntled we checked in and got our room.

That room was, as stated by others, in a separate building by the car park (no issues with that) but then to walk in to what could only be described as a shoe box was somewhat dissapointing. On top of that, with a cigarette butt on the floor as you walked in, and what had clearly not been hoovered in some time, it was all starting to turn in to a nightmare. Aswell as all this, the room had recently been painted (with splatterings of each colour dotted over the furniture where they clearly hadnt covered or moved anything) but clearly hadnt been ventilated either considering the stench from the paint. After 10 mins of being in there in shock at the whole thing, we had to change rooms in fear of waking up with a horrendous headache by staying in there.

Now, to be fair, the lady on reception was perfectly polite if a little useless, and didnt hesitate to offer us a room on the 1st floor instead that hadnt been decorated. That did however suggest this may be a regular request from customers. The room upstairs? Bland, horrifically outdated but at least a little cleaner than the one below and not smelling of toxic fumes. Now at this point, i was ready to walk out and go somewhere else, but was persuaded by my wife to see it through given it was a gift.

Needless to say, we skipped the afternoon tea, popped to the strange, quirky pub over the road for a couple of drinks to then return to Halland Forge for dinner. And so the saga continued.

To try and cut it a bit shorter, the food was just about reasonable, but certainly below average. Due to the days frustrations (which also included not a single member of staff @ Halland Forge apparently able to pull a pint of beer) we decided to try and enjoy ourselves with a fancy bottle of wine, the Chablis to be precise. I dont mention the Chablis to make me sound posh, more to do with the fact that the waiter had absolutely no idea of that wine or more importantly that they stock it, despite it being on display and advertised, and after conversations where he was convinced we were saying Chardonnay that i had to spell it for him. He then brings us a warm bottle off the shelf, to which my wife immediately asks if we can perhaps get a cold one! Looking very confused, he shuffles off, and comes back with the same bottle in a bucket of ice.

Does it end here? Oh no, it doesnt. I notice the bottle still has the cork fully in it, so i call him over and ask if we can get it opened. Another confused grunt occurs, before.....wait for it......he brings over the corkscrew, drops it on the table and walks off having not uttered a word!!! I go up to the bar, plonk the wine on it and in a strong but polite tone ask if there is any chance someone can open it for me, and get me a cloth so i can wipe my hands due to the sticky remains of previous drinks that were plastered all over the corkscrew. The response? The manager (i assume) picks up the bottle, opens it for me, then hands it back to me over the bar without saying a word!!

I am going to stop here as i am ranting too long now, but needless to say there were other bad bits including further bad service and not great breakfast. I am not some posh bloke who only expects silver spoon, i dont want that much over and above basic decent service and produce, but when i am pushed to writing a scathing review on TripAdvisor, of which i basically NEVER do, i think my point has been put across.

DO NOT stay here under the current management - spend your money more wisely elsewhere and at least get some value for money somewhere else. Even the Groupon offers are not worth it.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
7 Thank MrCueball

Travelers are raving about these Halland hotels

East Sussex
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We went on Monday lunchtime for carvery - arrived and were told carvery was being served from the kitchen today and was not laid out, not sure why?? Ordered carvery and a little time later a roast dinner arrived, waitress who served us could not tell which was lamb and which was beef - plus points were nice fresh veg (some needed a little more cooking), lovely meat - but roast potatoes were obviously from the day before and actually tasted like chinese take away chips and yorkshire pudding was clearly not freshly cooked and was soft and sponge like. Husband enjoyed his few pints of Sussex pride, but we wouldn't go back again - odd place with very little atmosphere.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Took a two night mid-week break with a Groupon voucher. There had been some adverse comments, but we took them with a pinch of salt.
Quick check-in with a warm welcome, and allocated a newly renovated, large room on the upper floor. All freshly painted and clean, bathroom completely renovated. Big soft towels, and plenty of storage space.
Had the afternoon tea, all well presented and very filling!
In spite of being near a main road, very little noise to stop us sleeping. Full english breakfast, served quickly, hot and tasty. Had dinner the second night from the special menu, good choices, and food tasty and hot.
All round, a very good value for money break. Would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are up a short flight of stairs, but no lift. So ask for a ground floor room if yo...
2 Thank Fossil01
England
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here on a Friday night. I got a voucher from Groupon which included a nights stay/ Afternoon Tea/ 2 course evening meal and breakfast.
Upon arrival we were pleased that there was plenty of parking so had no issues with where to leave the car. We were greeted very warmly by the man on reception and made to feel welcome straight away. He explained everything to us i.e. times for tea/ dinner etc. The room we were in was across the car park, 1st floor, room 9. We could park right outside it. I was surprised at how big the room actually was and it had everything we needed. The bathroom was also a good size and it was all very clean.
We unpacked our few bits and just went for a short walk for some fresh air after being in the car for a few hours. There is not really anything in the immediate area, but it is a good base to get to different places for some sightseeing.
We then went for our Afternoon Tea and to be honest we were not expecting much after reading some reviews. Again the staff were very friendly and we could choose where we sat. I did explain that I was a vegetarian, which seemed to confuse the waitress who said 'oh but everything is already made up'. I was given a plate with a cheese, fish and meat sandwich on it so she didnt even bother to take them off of the plate which, maybe if i was someone else would really have upset me, but I just gave them to my finacé who gladly ate them! Also on the plate was a big slice of cake, a lemon tart and a huge scone accompanied by a small pot of jam and cream (not clotted cream). I ate all of that with no complaints. We were also given a pot of tea and a glass of proscecco each. To be fair we really both enjoyed it and have no complaints about it.
For the evening meal we didnt need to book a table, but it wasnt very busy so again could choose where we wanted to sit. We could choose to have a 2 course meal or a carvery. We went for the 2-course meal and were given a piece of paper (menu) to choose a starter and a main course. Again there was not much choice for vegetarians 1 starter and 1 main. I had vegetable soup to start, my finacé had a dusted crab cake - for the main course I had stuffed portobello mushrooms with a spinach sauce and potatoes and veg, my finace had a pork dish with potatoes and veg. we both enjoyed our meals very much.
After our meal we sat in the bar for a couple of drinks and went back to our room. There were not many people about considering it was a Friday night.
I did not sleep particularly well as the hotel is on a huge, busy roundabout and i think that would be my only negative comment on this place.
In the morning we went down to breakfast and again was not expecting much due to the very low price we paid but when we got there we could help ourselves to cereals/ yoghurts/ fruit and juices. We were then asked how we liked our eggs and if we wanted toast, tea/ coffee etc. When our eggs came we could then go up and help ourselves to fried bread/ beans/ tomatoes/ mushrooms/ bacon/ sausage etc. We were extremely full up by the time we finished!!
It was a thoroughly nice stay here and I would recommend it as a great base for exploring East Sussex.

Room Tip: the 1st floor rooms have smarll balcony's so you can have the door open if you wish and you wont...
1 Thank ShelbyMJ
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here on a package deal from a website and were very impressed. The staff were very friendly and even made us afternoon tea despite being late! The rooms were clean, tidy and basic but had all you needed for a night or twos stay. The restaurant and bar area looked like they had been newly decorated and provided a nice, cosy atmosphere complete with roaring fire. The highlight for us was the food - an impressive 2 course meal including a generous portion of seasonal vegetables. To be honest with having the afternoon tea a few hours before I almost couldn't finish it! Breakfast was more of the same - generous portions, lots of choice with eggs cooked to order and in any way (despite a restaurant full of guests!) We were very happy with the Halland Forge and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emily L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Halland
White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lower Dicker
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to The Forge? Share your experiences!