“Good food...short of staff?”

and 1 more site!
Crockstead Farm Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Halland B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Booked this for a business meeting nearby next day. Arrived about 6pm, chap on reception looked like he was just holding the fort. Room was fine, lovely and warm and a comfy bed.
Beer in the bar, barman looked like he too was holding the fort as well. Meal in the restaurant was excellent. There were 2 girls waiting on, one had been there a week, she was the head waitress, and another girl who turned out to be the owner's au pair (French)who was standing in for the night. Both were charming and helpful. Breakfast next morning another couple were waiting patiently as they had booked an early breakfast for 30 mins ago, charming old lady arrives (owners mother?...overslept) and serves the 2 tables. Breakfast excellent!. I asked who was on reception, it turns out it was the little old lady, who left the dining room whilst she sorted me out. Overall, I think there was a staff change or shortage taking place. To be truthful it did not really spoil the stay, a nice hotel, lovely setting and great food. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Not sure itf they have a lift?
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Kenneth111

Reviewed December 17, 2011

I recently attended a family event here. We had exclusive use of the hotel. It is a lovely hotel set in idyllic surroundings.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful (although it could be difficult to find them!)

The only problem I had was with the limited supply of hot water. Although I guess this is understandable bearing in mind all of us headed off to our rooms at the same time to get ready for the main event (my sister had a lovely hot bath apparently!!).

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I have been quite surprised at the reviews I have read about this hotel, as there have been some horrible comments! My boyfriend and I came here for our two night stay with a groupon voucher, for my birthday. We had a cute and comfortable, room , room 12, with a four poster bed and very cosy! The room and ensuite bathroom were very clean. We had dinner the first night at the hotel and the food was fantastic! Breakfast was also very tasty!! During our stay the staff were very friendly and helpful and I would stay here again and recommend others to stay here. I also loved the setting and the pretty pond with all the wildlife!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank CPE80
Reviewed December 10, 2011

A surprise romantic get away booked by my darling other half! As a rule I do not enjoy staying at hotels as I use them so often with work and find them so inpersonal and really quite clinical. Crockstead Farm has however proved me wrong. It is a relatively small independant hotel set in stunning breathtaking grounds. As soon as I saw it I fell in love with the surroundings and let the warmth and ambience take hold of me. The staff were all so very friendly and indulged you with a real sense of belonging, even to the extent of the owners charismatic mother Pat helping out (nothing was too much trouble for her and always carried out with a smile). The food was divine and impeccable service, compliments to the Chef - Alex! There is nothing I can fault with this establishment, only that we were not there long enough! So much so that we have booked in for their Masquerade Ball on New Years eve for a further 3 nights. I can't wait and look forward to seeing them all again soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2011

My husband, daughter and I have just come back from a weekend away here, throughly enjoyed ourselves the rooms were great the food was fantastic, the owner was away but her mother whom looked after us couldn't do enough to make our stay as pleasurable as she could. My 5 year old daughter loved walking around loving all the wildlife and horses can not wait to return in the new year. Please pass our thanks to Pat, we do hope to meet her again.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed December 6, 2011

This two night stay with champagne afternoon tea on arrival was booked by my brother/sister for my birthday. I went with my wife to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

It was like a morgue on a mid afternoon Sunday when we arrived & although the glass of champagne & tea were fine we were not impressed with the slither of apple strudel & scone with jam. Apparently something marketed so grandly should involve an array of cakes & pastries. Clotted cream was not available although some other cream was whipped up which was OK.

Room 9 was adequate, warm & with a comfy bed. However with no hooks in the bathroom for towels & nowhere to put shampoo etc in the shower I think the claim in the Welcome Book that they pay attention to detail is pushing it. Getting the basics right might be a better idea.

Having to walk outside albeit under an overhanging roof to get anywhere is bizarre. This is apparently because it was built as an equestrian centre & so guests had could easy access to the stables.

It became clear that there were no staff members at all. The owner was on holiday which is fair enough but had really left things in a state of flux. The lady who served us the afternoon tea & breakfasts was the owners mum bless her. We needed to get away early on the Tuesday morning so wanted breakfast at 7.30, the official start time. She bowled in at just before 8 believing that was the start of breakfast. We were late for our appointment.

A really helpful guy, who turned out to be a neighbour, had been drafted in because no staff had turned up on the Sunday. He became the bar tender & waiter which is a bit difficult as the restaurant & bar are on two different floors. The main building is really nice with open beams etc & with a bit of buzz it could be great. Unfortunately it wasn't buzzing.

The restaurant is the best thing about the place because the food was excellent. We paid £75 for the 3 course evening meal with wine but it was worth it. We only had one evening meal but the breakfasts were great too. Real meat sausages.

This is not actually a hotel. My view is that it should be marketed as a top quality restaurant to the local area & as it has function rooms a party place that offers the option of accommodation. With only 12 rooms there is not the critical mass to generate enough demand for all the things a hotel needs such as staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My girlfriend bought a Groupon voucher for us to stay in the hotel as a surprise. We where hugely excited as the website looks great and it is always great to get out of London and into the countryside.
When we arrived at 9pm on the Friday night there was no one there to meet us as they were doing a function downstairs, so someone hurriedly rushed out of the conference to let us into our room and then disappear, making us feel like an inconvenience for turning up. As we hadn't been told what time breakfast finished on the Saturday, my girlfriend called down at 9am to ask and was screamed at by the lady who answered the phone with 09:30!! When we went downstairs the same lady that answered the phone said 'Well if i have to be up at 6am, why shouldn't you be?' ! My girlfriend and i were too shocked to say anything. I then managed to get about 2 hours sleep on the saturday night as we were kept awake all night by a cricket function that was happening, the walls are so thin that you can hear everything going on outside. On Sunday when we went down for breakfast we arrive at 09:20 and were spotted by the same old lady from the kitchen but she chose not to come out and take our order so i had to go and get her to come and take it, when our breakfast did come it was uneatable. This view was also shared by a couple sat in the room next to us, they said they also hadn't been able to sleep that night. The staff also seem to have a real issue with Groupon guests as we constantly overheard them moaning about how they make no money from Groupon people! The same old lady was also moaning about this to a couple in front of us when checking out... who also looked unimpressed. This is easily the WORST place i have ever stayed, the food is revolting, the staff are incredibly rude and seem to hate their guests (they need to get rid of the chef and old lady) it is incredibly dark and dingy, the room was damp and noisy and there is absolutely no atmosphere about the place. All of which is a huge shame as it could be wonderful due to its location and building. These people should not be in business.

Room Tip: Do not go and stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Josh N
Crockstead, Manager at Crockstead Farm Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

We suggest that you read the comments of satisfied guests and the comments in the guest book located in the hotal reception as this review is not a reflection of the service which we offer and believe that it has been written maliciously!

With regards to comments about Groupon customers - we have had the pleasure of some lovely people staying with us but some customers it doesn't matter how much we do for them will sadly always look for something to complain about.

Construstive critism is more pro-active than direct hurtfulpersonal comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Halland
East Sussex National
#1 of 1 in Cooksbridge
Beechwood B and B
Beechwood B and B
#4 of 40 in Lewes

Been to Crockstead Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!