“Disapointing”

Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Halland
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2014

WE have been to the Hallanf Forge a few times as we live locally. There was a sign outside saying new chef new menu so thought we would give it a go. It has changed inside since we last went there and looks nice. The food was ok but thought it was rather pricey for what you had.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

My partner went to this hotel and restaurant over the August BH just gone,we had thought we would give it a try as was suggested to go to as my Aunt had been there for a carvery in the past.
This place was almost empty on the Friday night of the recent August BH 2014 ! they had only 10 in the restaurant including us !
The wine racks were almost empty as well as a nearby couple reordered a glass of wine to be told that they had run out of this particular brand of wine and could she pick another brand !!!
We got to place our order for our food and then 5 minutes later the lady came back to our table to tell us that the fish cakes we both had ordered had run out and there was no more left !! which did'nt go down well with my partner !!
So we ordered again me a Lemon Sole and my partner ordered the pie with vegetables which she enjoyed albeit she told the waitress she did not want any mash potatoes on the plate and when it arrived she mashed potatoes were on the plate ! so the chef obviously didn't heed what the waitress had written down on her order !
My fish arrived and it was a whole lemon sole which the chef could not be bothered to fillet for my ease of to eat !as well as no vegetables were included on the dish ! If you wanted vegetables you had to pay for them !! shocking ...
We got the bill at the end of our meal and saw that they charged £12.90 for two glass's of wine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! total robbery ! the total bill for the the meal which was 1 course and a glass of wine and two coffee's was £46 pounds !!!
Never again shall I frequent this place !
Oh and by the way we asked for a pot of hot water for a top up on our black coffee's and this came back in a coffee cup ! so much for a safety issue here if the hot water had spilt on my partner's hand !
This place may well thrive on a carvery on Sundays however you cannot survive in the food business on one day a week food service !
I was once a chef too !! so I know what I'm talking about here.
The whole experience here it seems to me is that The Forge is struggling big time financially and seem to be working on a shoestring !
All in all a very poor experience at the Forge with very average menu and food together with very high pricing which was not worth the money, to expensive for what we had.
This part of the country needs some serious competition on the restaurant front, although we went to a nice pub nearby in Ringmer called The Cock with my Aunt which was a fantastic experience..

2  Thank Richard1053
Reviewed August 13, 2014

The place has been advertising about their local steaks and new chef so thought we'll give it a try. I have to say it was the best meal we have had in a long time, we went their for a birthday celebration and my family had come from all over. We were about 11 of us and each and every dish was spot on. The restaurant has had a new Chef, Alex who was extremely friendly, the pub was nice and spacious and a very good selection of beers on the taps. The food was fresh, nicely presented and above all delicious. I would highly recommend their Steaks and Burgers and the homemade desserts. I think it is a nice place and the food is Fab, we will definitely be going there more often.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have in the past visited The Halland Forge Restaurant for Sunday lunch both on our own and with Friends, However the food t on Sundays had gone down hill. (There was a time that we were unable to eat there on a Sunday as it was so packed)

As we drove passed to day there was a notice outside advertising a new Chef and menu. We though we would give it a try!

The food was dreadful and worse then ever, the chef who served us seemed to be the old one.
The beef was dry and I could not eat it, the roast potatoes were Frozen and the vegetables medico and the Yorkshire pudding was flat and taste less.

My Partner had turkey which was the only part of the meal he enjoyed.

We are so disappointed and fill conned by the sign outside.

In fairness when we complained they removed the Beef and got out a fresh joint and I was offered another meal , but declined.

Not a place to stop at !

Have they got a new chef ?or is this just a ploy to win back some of their old customers , wont be going again.

2  Thank Teresa P
Reviewed May 12, 2014

A little outside of Brighton but when we arrived it was worth it for the brilliant Sunday lunch. Great cooking and plenty of food.

I loved the potatoes ! I suggest booking for Sunday roast- very popular with the locals too!