“Sad to see nothing has changed”
Review of Luciano's Woodfire Bistro - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We went here a week after they opened and it was truly a nightmare of an experience. The service was awful, food mediocre, management standing around adding in their head how much money they are making that night. As far as the atmosphere........not exactly the look I envision when I think of Bistro. It looks Medieval and dark. I saw a few familiar dishes from the Balducci era as well as a few of the old faces that used to hang out there. The staff...well, I'm not familiar with any of them and they are not familiar with how to run a restaurant.
With so many choices around, it is doubtful we will return.

1  Thank marchermadness
There are newer reviews for Luciano's Woodfire Bistro

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Finally tried this restaurant last night! We sat for 10 minutes before the disheveled waitress even came to talk to us and then she said she would be right back! Another good 5 minutes. She
told us specials immediately, asked if we would like an appetizer! Never even bothered to ask if we wanted a drink!
I cant even count the number of times she dropped silverware around us it was annoying.
We had a shrimp dish, fish dish and veal. The shrimp was tasty however pasta was bland,
the fish good, the veal bland! Everything came out luke warm! There appeared to be many
bus boys and not enough waitresses. The table was small and cramped.
They did a good job on the interior. The management seemed to be disinterested in much of
what was going on. They never came to our table however they walked around a lot just looking.
However they never seemed to see we did not even have drinks!
The best part of the evening was the singer (he was excellent) and the young energetic car
parker who was very professonal and courteous.
Not sure if we will ever go back. The food being lukewarm was really a bummer.

1  Thank wetravelin
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I normally give a restaurant a few months to shake out their start-up issues. So after driving by several times, we decided to give Luciano's a try. They have been open 2 months now. The atmosphere is significantly improved vs the prior establishment. The menu is widely varied - perhaps too much so. Service is still incredibly slow, but it may be that we got a poor waitress. A table next to us received their bar drinks much earlier than we did and we were seated prior to them. I ordered a salmon special for the night. The dish was served luke-warm. Again is this an issue of our waitress or is this the way the entire dining room is served? Sauce was very salty. Asparagus were supposed to be cooked in the wood-fired oven. They were cooked to a crisp and were now crumbly. Dessert was a disappointment. Almost all desserts are cupcakes of some sort. Haven't we gotten over cupcakes yet? We opted for the Elvis which was described differently vs what we received. Our waitress said it was a great choice. When you see that the cupcake is supposed to have a wood-fired banana component, wouldn't you expect it to have some sort of hot sauce? No, a refrigerated cold cupcake with too much icing. I would pass on these.

The restaurant is needed in the area. But, are they trying to be a steak restaurant, a traditional Italian restaurant or a wood-fired pizza restaurant. They need to pick their niche and get good at that.

Parking is a pain because the valet service takes up all of the spaces. We don't have to walk more than 50 yards if you can park on their lot. But if you want to avoid the valet, you need to park in front or behind other industrial buildings next door. It's a good thing the area is safe - it is creepy back there! They should lose the valet service and focus on the inside service.

I will try a wood-fired pizza at lunch before making a final decision on this place. Maybe after the holidays.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

It was nice to see a place finally opened in the long abandoned restaurant on Madison. It is an odd location with a fine view of Interstate 55. But I would encourage you to give it a try. Barely open a month, they have some work to do to find their voice. Help them do that. Will need a few more trips to delve into the menu more. Good wine list, but a strange format. I like the open wood fire section of the kitchen. Service was still learning but energetic and enthusiastic. The owners need some guidance from Chef Ramsey in terms of finding their place. They stalk, hover, wander too much and generally get in the way. They need to let their employee do their job. And one of the owners needs some guidance from Stacey and Clinton on “What Not Too Wear.” He looked sloppy and disheveled. I know all this may add up to “stay away” but I am all for helping a local business. Go and try it. Bring a group. Taste and sample. Help them grow and become a solid member of the community. If you don’t like something, don’t huff and ask for a comp, coach and give guidance and pay your bill and give them a second chance.